Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Late Model Downforce....

I do realize that dirt late models are built to be aerodynamic with the body, nose and spoilers. I do know that spoiler angle effects handling but how much effect will cutting "cooling holes" in the nose cause? We run smaller tracks 3/8 mile, 4/10 mile.

You'll be letting more air under the car and thereby increasing the air pressure under the body. Downforce is as much about low pressure under the body as it is about high pressure on top of it.

Most people will cut a 8'' section in the center of the lower valance to let air in.I would add a shroud and larger diameter fan first.

Did i see two large holes in the rocket house nose by the left front headlight area of the nose this weekend at shawano

I think the aero thing is a bit over sold.

At Eldora, Florence, Viriginia, places like that where your doing 140 or better, yes, but on small bull rings NO.

I would get air to the engine, over trying to keep the front end sealed off. Unless your just loaded and like to blow $hit up.

Just say no...

we use to have this problem with our all steel engine on gas, went to a triple pass radiator and never had heating problem again with no holes in 95* temp.

I think its important everywhere jmo

If it doesnt matter on little bull ring try taking ur spoiler off one night and see how it hurts ya

Next time you're running a test day at a 1/4 mile track, take the nose, the spoiler, and the right rear quarter panel off and see how she handles. But take it easy if the track has a wall. The good news is that when you hit it, you'll have less body damage to repair.
    In the meantime, stick your hand out the window of your pickup going 50 MPH down the road and hold it at a 30 degree angle. Multiply that force times about 200 (to match the surface area of the nose and hood fill) and then tell me that aero does't make a difference on small and slow race tracks.
    Or better yet do this: Get a 4 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood and get your strongest buddies to see how long they can hold it up at a 30 degree angle in the bed of a pickup truck as you go down some country road at even a slow pace. Just be sure there aren't any cars behind you.
    Anybody that has carried drywall on a windy day will tell you to not waste your time or insurance deductible with the above experiment.

Aero is the cheapest speed you can find in racing yet so many people downplay it because they don't understand how it really works. It's all about air pressure.

What kills me is when folks started cutting off the left rears and the outlawed it. Why? It was free speed. Heck it was speed that saved you money because you used less material. When they first came out with the rule it said it had to only be 28 inches of "material". So I put about 15 inches of plastic at the bottom of my short quarter and didn't brace it. Shortly after the rules was changed again.. lol

A bit of difference in over sold, and taking the body off.

Over sold, as in, by all means keep the engine cool.

Although there may be other fixes that work, radiator, shroud and or fan size.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    A bit of difference in over sold, and taking the body off.

Over sold, as in, by all means keep the engine cool.

Although there may be other fixes that work, radiator, shroud and or fan size.
    Yeah I think he should look to other areas to keep it cool. Holes allow mud/rocks through and cause the radiator to get plugged up or worse.

One thing that we have done that helps is to build vertical slats under the nose that guide air to the radiator. Sort of like a shroud but in front of the radiator. You can sort of taper them in toward the outside edges of the radiator to catch more air.
    If you do have to make holes, put some sort of heavy duty screen material behind them to filter out the rocks and larger chunks of dirt. Like the material the shaker screens are made of.

Anyone see the 3 or 4 big 2in or 2.5 in holes yhe 1 car had in is nose at the lf headlight area again this weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on this or just another lets see how many oeople start cutting holes in there noses lol

I noticed that also, not sure what they are after but did notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    I noticed that also, not sure what they are after but did notice it.
    Could be to let the air over the left front to flow through. Could be to take air off the left front. Could be fake holes with black plastic behind em to see how many people copy not knowing why. ...

Default Downforce.

Just a quick follow up. I cut out the "Grill" area of my nose piece and installed some heavy duty 3/8" x 3/8" square wire. I went behind my nose piece and built an air box back to the shaker screen and no further. Car never ran over 220 degrees and had no effect to the handling of the car. Actually drove better this week than it has all year. I appreciate all of the hints and tips and the aero conversation was educational as well. Thanks guys.

Not fakes i seen them personally from about 1ft away

I would assume that they figured out a reason for lifting some air off the LF for some reason. When you are able to test that much you find little things that shave off just a little bit here and there. if it is worth anything I don't see it being beneficial to us weekend guys

Anybody have a picture of his car