Question Metric monte carlo

I've bin racing for a few years and running a decent set up, I race on a dry slick track every weekend and was wondering if anyone runs a 20" preloading lr spring and how do you go about using it far as how tall your spring buckets need to be because I have a 3 inch tall one in my lr and when I put that spring in their it Jacks the car way up..

Quote Originally Posted by SS383 View Post
    I've bin racing for a few years and running a decent set up, I race on a dry slick track every weekend and was wondering if anyone runs a 20" preloading lr spring and how do you go about using it far as how tall your spring buckets need to be because I have a 3 inch tall one in my lr and when I put that spring in their it Jacks the car way up..
    Do yourself a favor and forget the soft 20 inch left rear spring. The stiffer spring gets the weight. Run a stiffer spring in the left rear.

Quote Originally Posted by dkibel View Post
    Set the car to your ride height with the tall spring in it. Now go to full drop on the left rear and make sure the spring is till preloaded. As long as this is the case you are good. Ive seen the 20" spring work really well on a dry slick track but the problem that everyone faces is they use a big pop up on the lr. I found that when you drop your spring rate on the lr like that you need a softer shock to compensate for it. The softer shock will let the car set on the rear end faster and will stand on it and let you come off the corner harder. Im curious to see what you think about this after you run. Let me know how it goes! Dxtc, you are right that the bigger spring gets the weight but what you are looking for in the 20" spring is more preloading as the car hikes and dives on that corner. Imo Softer springs and softer shocks work better on dry slick race tracks.
    pre loading is relevant when your using a spring behind on a slider like a 4 bar modified and as the car hikes up the spring expands.

pre loading is not relevant in a oem 4 arm opposed link suspension, it will make your car free and have no drive off the corners.

The only time you need a longer spring in any corner is if that spring is becoming free during suspension travel, which a oem 4 gm type suspension does not do.

This is dumb, there's no preloading, if you scale your car with 13" rear springs and have 200 bite and a ride height of 7, and let's say a wheel weight of 900, then switch to a 20" 125, rescale car to same height and bite, that corner still has 900# of weight on it. What's the point am I missing something

Its the stored energy that's different. Using simple numbers for simplicity..say you have a 200 lb spring compressed 4" has 800 lbs on it...now change to a 100lb spring that still has 800 lbs on it, so it's compressed 8"...now mid corner lets say your LR comes up 4"..how much weight is on your 200lb spring? How much weight would still be on you 100lb spring? You can figure it out from there.
    Josh K.

I figured it out the preloaded spring seems to work well I recommend less lr bite because it will driverify u up the track!