Default 602 Water Bypass Lines

602 Water Bypass Lines

We have commonly seen hot water lines connected to the ports below the carburetor on 602 engines. For racing applications this connection is completely WRONG.

The cavity in the 602 manifold below the carb is not attached to the cooling passages and should NOT be plumbed into the cooling system.

The intended use of this cavity is to heat the carburetor for winter time driving in a street application.

For racing application, we strongly recommend removing the pipe plugs to allow air to pass through this cavity.

NOTE: There are appropriate water bypass systems for 602 engines, however for this tech tip segment we wanted to emphasize what is NOT correct.

see the attachment below
    Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 08-08-2016 at 05:47 PM.

I sold the infamous 602 a few weeks ago and told the guy DO NOT run water lines to these. I even had them plugged because they used to not be plugged from GM (my new one that City Chevrolet delivered Thursday already had them plugged). He called me the other day and told me he was about ready to start it up...all he had to do was finish the water lines to the intake. I see other racers with 602 and water lines hooked there....I just shake my head and tell them, unless they are my competition lol

i had a carb ice on me in the july heat, twice, but not in a race car. it was a piper cherokee and a honda civic

What would the consequences be for running the lines this way? Found a 602 for sale and the lines are run like that.

It should be simple enough to disconnect the lines ---as for the consequences---heating the intake or the intake air cuts power

here is a very simply scenario that I use and most can relate to

does your truck run better in the hot afternoon going to the race track or does it run better on the cool evening going home?

answer this for yourself and it should help explain the consequence of pumping hot water underneath the carburetor of your race engine.

Brad
    www.race-1.com