Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rocket confusion

This may be a dumb post to some but I have never dealt with a rocket chassis and all these different colors have me pretty confused. Just trying to figure what the differences are also the pros and cons of them and to add more confusion I'm seeing people talking about mix matching them any explanation would be greatly appreciated

i was told a blue is more of keep the tail of the car under you driving on the front end style and a black is more of a tailed out driving off the rr more. just what ive heard

Our chassis builder liked to try things and all our cars were a mixture of 3 or 4 different kinds always were fast but he's gotten out of the business now and we are trying to find out what is out there before we make a decision

Quote Originally Posted by stevensracing_6 View Post
    Our chassis builder liked to try things and all our cars were a mixture of 3 or 4 different kinds always were fast but he's gotten out of the business now and we are trying to find out what is out there before we make a decision
    Black front = hang it out drive sideways, designed by Mark Bush

Blue/gray = Rayburn with a 4 link rear. Need to drive it straight

Orange = Bloomer car
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

A a blank front rocket would be tight on entry driving it straight??

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Black front = hang it out drive sideways, designed by Mark BushBlue/gray = Rayburn with a 4 link rear. Need to drive it straightOrange = Bloomer car
    What would be the benefit of orange rear blue gray front I've seen quite a few people with that set up

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Black front = hang it out drive sideways, designed by Mark Bush

Blue/gray = Rayburn with a 4 link rear. Need to drive it straight

Orange = Bloomer car
    Forgot the "Xr1 = designed by rumley"

If you have 40k+ $ to spend get a XR1. Blue front is the way to go if you are buying used, the last few years are best unless the front cross member has been raised. Older ones need to be updated to allow wide front option. Black fronts are selling very cheap, good low $ entry level car, if your new to them you'll likely bend it. Blues are much better on slick tracks than black front. Blacks are fine on non-slick tracks. Orange fronts are rare and if you find a blue front /orange rear,it was likely clipped. But good cars also. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    If you have 40k+ $ to spend get a XR1. Blue front is the way to go if you are buying used, the last few years are best unless the front cross member has been raised. Older ones need to be updated to allow wide front option. Black fronts are selling very cheap, good low $ entry level car, if your new to them you'll likely bend it. Blues are much better on slick tracks than black front. Blacks are fine on non-slick tracks. Orange fronts are rare and if you find a blue front /orange rear,it was likely clipped. But good cars also. HTH
    Thank you! Great post. Have been looking into a bunch of different cars and I'm slowly narrowing down between a rocket a pierce and a TNT

Quote Originally Posted by stevensracing_6 View Post
    Thank you! Great post. Have been looking into a bunch of different cars and I'm slowly narrowing down between a rocket a pierce and a TNT
    toss the pierce idea.

TNT or Rocket you will be best
    maybe think of a Swartz also.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I would definitely consider a Swartz. Audie is great to deal with and great support. Also, he builds the safest car out there.

will def keep an eye out for one haven't seen any though

Get what runs good in your area. And parts will be easier to get. We run rockets, have run black, blue/grey, and orange car with Blue/grey stuff. They all work good

I will put in a vote for swartz, Audie is a great guy and extremely helpful. He spends a ton of time working on safety and is very focused on making sure he does everything he can to minimize the risk.

Don't buy a car because "that's what runs good in your area" I truly hate that statement. Get what you want to get even it isn't the most popular in your area. As for parts availability there are plenty of mail order places you can have what you need within a few days. Do your homework on cars and builders. I recommend Swartz for several reasons like safety. I worked with them for 13 years and his quality is second to none along with his service. You are not just a number with him so you get more personalized service not just generic answers like "well that's what we are doing now" cause that doesn't mean crap for you and your driving.

Is there a difference between a Blue chassis and a blue/Gray or is that the same thing. Some times you will hear people say I have a blue for sale. Other times they will say blue/gray

The color refers mainly to the spindles. The blue only have one hole each side for the steering arm whereas the blue/gray have two so that you can adjust steering quickness either side or both plus tune the ackerman also.

Define "wide front" and the parts that are different...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Define "wide front" and the parts that are different...
    On a Rocket, it means you unbolt the rf lower, move it to a hole 1 inch outboard and hook it back up. Tie rod moves on rack the same way.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1