Default has anybody tried a driveline brake???

Just a question that a friend of mine asked me the other day and I couldn't give him an answer. So does anyone know of anybody that has tried this? He comes from the truck pulling scene and his thoughts on this were that it would cut down on rotating mass at the wheels. They would machine a rotor to fit between the yoke and driveshaft and fabricate a caliper bracket and run very aggressive pads to stop the truck if need be. So what do you guys think???

hard on rear end gears and axles.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by superstock50 View Post
    Just a question that a friend of mine asked me the other day and I couldn't give him an answer. So does anyone know of anybody that has tried this? He comes from the truck pulling scene and his thoughts on this were that it would cut down on rotating mass at the wheels. They would machine a rotor to fit between the yoke and driveshaft and fabricate a caliper bracket and run very aggressive pads to stop the truck if need be. So what do you guys think???
    You already have one, then engine when the throttle is less then needed to maintain the current speed.

I think they have a 4 wheel brake rule in most modified sanctioning bodies.

Ran one on a friends sportsman. Keep in mind driveshaft turns at engine speed so rotating weight is multiplied by rear gear ratio. After seeing rotors explode at axle speed, not a very appealing prospect sitting beside one.

I have one on my rock crawler its a parking brake or marginal emergency brake at best......

Drive line brakes are more efficient but generate more heat. They could be made smaller for the MOI thing but exposure to direct impact of the dust and dirt and the heat would be problematic without a shield of some sort.
    Something really trick would to put it inside a steel bell either in the crank itself, or the input shaft of the transmission.
    Heat would still be an issue. Perhaps a brake blower or purposed ducted air would suffice.

Something else to think about. If a driveline brake were to fail....there is no back up like you get on a four wheel system. Stopping quickly could be a real problem.