Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Lucas Tire Rule and a New Chassis for Owens

http://insidedirtracing.com/turn-2-b...sis-for-owens/

Michael and Richard discuss two major developments in dirt racing and there possible impacts.

I'm not in favor of this rule or the Rumley rule, more rules don't make things cheaper or better competition. How are you suppose to set the car up at the shop if you don't get tires till your at the track? Somebody needs to resurrect the NDRL, quick. As to JO running a Rocket, I don't think a switch is going to prove magical. I think the departure of Chris Fox was a deep blow to that team. Barry builds fine cars, they won the Lucas points just 2 or 3 seasons ago, but Lucas is far more competitive than WoO can ever hope to be and getting more so all the time, maybe switching to WoO would be more lucrative endeavor.

I can't say I'm for any of these new rules that makes all the cars the same. It's a recipe for expensive cars, not a money saver. It makes any gains smaller and more expensive in the long run.

As far as the tire rule goes, we have never heard about what boogieman chemical is the people killer, that prompted the tire rule. I'm sure EPA isn't looking for WD40 (fish oil) or Dawn dish detergent, which we have all ate a bunch of, that was on our dishes. Maybe it is paint solvents that are sold over the counter to clean paint brushes. Could it be oil of wintergreen, that you eat in life savers?

Wouldn't it make more sense, to call out this boogieman chemical and ban it and it alone and there wouldn't be any wiggle room in the rule, like I washed my car with this. Wouldn't it make sense to say Hexoclorithane is deadly and illegal, or any other chemical that they decidedly wish not to share, instead of penalizing racers that wash their car with a detergent. If you made the rule simple and to the point, it would be more effective and easier to enforce, unless this isn't about health hazards and cost.

I say go back to sniffer before qualifying and no open treating of tires at track, no grooving, no sipping, no wrapped tires. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I can't say I'm for any of these new rules that makes all the cars the same. It's a recipe for expensive cars, not a money saver. It makes any gains smaller and more expensive in the long run.

As far as the tire rule goes, we have never heard about what boogieman chemical is the people killer, that prompted the tire rule. I'm sure EPA isn't looking for WD40 (fish oil) or Dawn dish detergent, which we have all ate a bunch of, that was on our dishes. Maybe it is paint solvents that are sold over the counter to clean paint brushes. Could it be oil of wintergreen, that you eat in life savers?

Wouldn't it make more sense, to call out this boogieman chemical and ban it and it alone and there wouldn't be any wiggle room in the rule, like I washed my car with this. Wouldn't it make sense to say Hexoclorithane is deadly and illegal, or any other chemical that they decidedly wish not to share, instead of penalizing racers that wash their car with a detergent. If you made the rule simple and to the point, it would be more effective and easier to enforce, unless this isn't about health hazards and cost.
    They just need to be honest about the tire rule..........it's not written because of the health hazards.....it's not written because of the potential dangers and it's certainly not written to save the racer any money.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    They just need to be honest about the tire rule..........it's not written because of the health hazards.....it's not written because of the potential dangers and it's certainly not written to save the racer any money.
    Could be this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

and your point is woo has a tire choice at many tracks but guess what same results

That's the post of the year on this subject!

Let them do whatever to their tires.......just givem a punch rule! Very very very little policing needed!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I got a smooth 100$ that the zero beats the 6 this weekend. Can't give 0 a week off from racing and not expect him to bring a bullet this week

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    I got a smooth 100$ that the zero beats the 6 this weekend. Can't give 0 a week off from racing and not expect him to bring a bullet this week
    Haha, true! Knowing Scott, hes probly developed a clear prep that is applied to the wheel and dissolves once the tire builds a little heat!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Can somebody tell my why a tire company can't build a tire that does what the racer wants?

If the racer is prepping trying to make it fire , do the tire companies not know how to make a tire that will fire?

Or is it that they just don't want too?

Do the racers really know more about tires than the tire companies?

That's just pretty darn hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Haha, true! Knowing Scott, hes probly developed a clear prep that is applied to the wheel and dissolves once the tire builds a little heat!
    Sssshhhhhh dont say things like that....suppose to be a secret lol
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Old smokey peach......

I know it's the same for everyone but these guys are gonna have to figure out a way to scuff the right rear and fast. I think the no scuffing or cutting the tire is complete hogwash. I'm assuming that they do not want the teams to be able to have much alone time with the tire. I guarantee you see a lot of swirving before feature time because the drivers are gonna try to get the right rear scuffed asap. The rubber on the new tire will not have grip until the skin as we call it is gone. Old timers believe the tire will not fire at all unless the the skin is grinded off to the "good rubber". It could definitely affect the balance of the cars. Imo they should mark the tires and distribute them to the drivers the day of the race.

Can somebody tell my why a tire company can't build a tire that does what the racer wants?

If the racer is prepping trying to make it fire , do the tire companies not know how to make a tire that will fire?

Or is it that they just don't want too?
    your missing the point on how racers think. Most of the time the top level racers choose the same tires for a given situation because it's the best for it. But since they all choose the same they have no advantage over each other. The only way to get an edge is to alter the tire they want to use to be slightly different than competition. A tire company could never make enough tires to suit. Open tire I think is best, but not a 100% solution either. Once u start dictating compounds racers start looking for an edge. 15 years ago Rex Richey had the SAS series all messed up. Rule was everyone D55, he relabeled other compounds to say D55 and sold them. They ended up going open tire just to put him out of business.

Open tire, all brands, must declare brand before event, no open treating, and we're back to racing without home chemistry.

all brands you mean what 2 tires manufactures and those tires will be treated and you know that . name a crown jewel that has a open tire rule or has had a open tire rule

What I don't understand why can't they just go out and run the tire without prepping the tire. Why do they feel the need to prep the tire. No I get because someone else is doing it but, if no one did wouldn't they all be on the same playing field. And I'm only talking about doping the tire not grooving and sipening the tire.

Again --

Drivers DO NOT want an open tire rule. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you checked with the 5 guys that got suspended if 3-4 of them were against the idea of an open rule (Bloomquist being the one in favor if I had to guess).

Maybe the rule wasn't written for the health hazards, but that isn't to say that can't be a purpose now. Look at all of these people who were doing Karts in the 80s and 90s who have health problems from the rampant use of tire prep. Not to mention the time, and the extra money (it might not be a lot, but more is more) that teams would have to spend in order to do this.

90% of drivers do not want an open tire rule which would allow tire prep. Some would prefer open with both manufacturers but when it comes time to pay out the point fund at the end of the season and it pays half as much they would probably change their tune. I'm sure Hoosier is a big contributor to UMP.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    What I don't understand why can't they just go out and run the tire without prepping the tire. Why do they feel the need to prep the tire. No I get because someone else is doing it but, if no one did wouldn't they all be on the same playing field. And I'm only talking about doping the tire not grooving and sipening the tire.
    if they want to stop this tire doping they need to make the penalties harsher , hoosier helps out point fund in many series and I love that people complain about the expense of late model tires , try some of the other classes
    Last edited by old fan; 08-11-2016 at 06:52 AM.