Default Trouble with LR hiking up on dry/crumbles

We seem to have an odd problem. Car is only good on real tack conditions. Anything crumbly it has trouble getting up on bars and on RF. If we add compression or gas to lr it makes it worse. Tried stacked 175s and guy who helped set it up didn't think we would like it cuz it would never come down. Had 250lbs preload with lockout. Car was terrible. Riding around at ride height. Put 200 lr back in was a little better but still falls down. Zero traction in crumbles but hooks hard in tack and digs well and everything looks good. Everyone I have talked to is confused. Went through all shocks and ran everything through its travel. Nothing appears to be binding

Even if the hiems feel good if they have very many laps (350 or more) on them, I would change them.I've had them bind under load ,but feel good in the shop.Where is the fifth arm set.

racefastnow, I have had the same problem my entire racing career. My car is awesome in the black slick and pretty good in the tacky, but if the track is crumbly and dirty my car sucks (ok probably the driver sucks).

5th is 34, but we tried it at 38 also. Whats very odd is if we add compression in the LR shocks it makes it worse. Falls down even more and we tried a double stack and that wouldnt even get off the ground whole way around the track at ride height.

What would be a loading number for the heims to show there bad. i might be able to test them? Yes there are all old and not the good ones to begin with. I had everything apart and it all flows freely, but i would need to test the heims to know the loading lock point.

i tried softening the RF from a 350 to a 275, that also made it worse. but it wasnt hiking up or on the front. very strange problem.

Racefastnow, check Pm's

nothing there Lindsey97

Hum, can't seem to send a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by racefastnow View Post
    i tried softening the RF from a 350 to a 275, that also made it worse. but it wasnt hiking up or on the front. very strange problem.
    There is grip on a tacky track and a "clean" slick track. Maybe try moving some weight in the car higher. Especially in the middle to RF area. Huge help that is usually overlooked.

What kinda car? Bar lengths and angles? Shocks? Fifth coil spring?

put some j bar in it, it sounds like its shearing traction when the tires are side loading

Put some tilt in the car and cut down the left side weight for those dry/crumbly conditions.

If you've got good balanced race car in other conditions, I wouldn't do too much to your setup. Think about doing something different with tires. Get the grooving iron out. If the track isn't cleaning off and you have a "dirty" surface, extra grooves will help you blow that off and get more grip. I realize carrying tires for a specific track condition isn't fiscally great but you really need to be able to get rubber to the road. Your standard grooving is likely not adequate for the condition you're describing.

We tried 20s all the way around and all grooved and siped with one night on them. 1 thought is we run heavy rebound in the left front and chained up. i tried opening the chain, but i never did try releasing the rebound on the left front. Maybe try keeping the chain and running more of a LF popup? seems like it might be some of the issues, but not sure why the stack LR wouldnt even get off the ground?

Pm should be there

Was your stacked LR setup properly? how much pre-load at ride height vs at droop?

What is your driver saying about how the car is handling?