Thread: Hard to belive

Default Hard to belive

Tim Richmond passed away 27 years ago today Aug 13 1989 it just dosen't seem that many years ago but it has been, one could only imagine how many races and championships he could have possibly won.

I began paying close attention to Tim and was a big fan of his starting with his sprint car days. I remember well his one and only Indy 500 start. It was 1980 and he qualified 19th and finished 9th and was rookie of the year. Johnny Rutherford stopped and picked Tim up on his victory cool down lap after Tim had run out of fuel on the backstretch. I remember the crowd loving it.

Tim was one of the handful of guys that ol' arnhead couldn't intimidate. I loved that about him, too.

I thought NASCAR treated Tim very badly at the end of his NASCAR career. History has treated Tim badly, as well. When Tim died NASCAR acted as if he had never raced, won races or even existed.

He was a special talent. No question about that.

I remember that Indy 500 also Tim always knew how to steal the show and was one of the most talented racers I have ever saw and you are correct he got a very raw deal from nascar there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I began paying close attention to Tim and was a big fan of his starting with his sprint car days. I remember well his one and only Indy 500 start. It was 1980 and he qualified 19th and finished 9th and was rookie of the year. Johnny Rutherford stopped and picked Tim up on his victory cool down lap after Tim had run out of fuel on the backstretch. I remember the crowd loving it.

Tim was one of the handful of guys that ol' arnhead couldn't intimidate. I loved that about him, too.

I thought NASCAR treated Tim very badly at the end of his NASCAR career. History has treated Tim badly, as well. When Tim died NASCAR acted as if he had never raced, won races or even existed.

He was a special talent. No question about that.
    I agree with everyhting you have said here. Tim would have won mutiple Championships had he been able to continue racing and yes your right he wasn't intimidated by anyone. Great race car driver.

I agree Nascar should be Ashamed at the way they treated him.