Default Checking floater rearend for straightness

Ok guys the way I done it was install two straight wheels set it up on blocks and spin the rearend,not sure if this is correct but the wheels move in and out,now for the good part I got the second new one in today and both of them do it one is worst than the other,both are well know rearend dealers. any suggestions on this,thanks guys

I checked mine in a very similar way, using tall jack stands on the hubs and a dial indicator on the brake rotors, for movement. Mine was toed in and cambered in at the top, on both sides. To verify whether it was the axle tube to the pumpkin, or the axle tube at the bearing stub, I checked axle tube run out, with the dial indicator, close to both locations on both tubes. I ended up repairing at the pumpkin on both sides to get mine corrected. Mine was a 9" Ford rear end.
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

Default rearend straitness

Stand on end with tires on hold tire & spin rearend with tape hooked on tread of bottom tire to top tire & if tape moves your rearend is not strait

NEW wheels are how I measure. put them on and measure with a tape wheel to wheel in the 4 places.

I take rear end out of car. I leave the wheels on the rear end
    I set another set of wheels flat on the floor, and set both rear tires into the ones setting flat on floor.
    I then spin the center section, and have someone watch the to see if the wheels wobble. if you can see any movement while spinning center section, it is bent bad enough to replace a tube.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Am I the only one that uses an alignment machine to check this stuff? It will tell you everything you need to know. You dont have to take anything off the car and you have your answer in about 5 minutes. Eric

Alignment machine is great if you have one sitting at home....lol

I'm guessing you have one at your work and thats why your bragging about using it?

Quote Originally Posted by SRXSRULE View Post
    Am I the only one that uses an alignment machine to check this stuff? It will tell you everything you need to know. You dont have to take anything off the car and you have your answer in about 5 minutes. Eric
    2 new wheels and ability to read a tape measure will tell you everything without having to tow your car any place

I do it the same way as Just Add Dirt. I then take the area where each wheel is out the most and shrink the tubing to get the housing back to straight. Almost every 9" floater I have ever bought had some run-out in it. Heat and quench and it will come back straight. Used to check it after a hard hit or extremely rough track. You can straighten them once or twice but then you will need to replace a tube.

SPark