Default Starter not engaging

New starter, Bert bell, rebuilt all the parts (idler shaft, bushing, spring etc)When starting, 75% of the time it just spins. Other times it engages and works fine. Bert (or brinn) website said .100 of clearance between idler gear and flywheel. Got that. Any other ways to adjust it?

Could be the flywheel needs to be shimmed out or the grease fitting needs to be greased between the starter and bell housing. I would check the grease fitting first. It's in the small gap between the starter and bell. It's an easily overlooked fitting.

It is an often overlooked grease zerk. That being said, don't over do it. Too much grease in there is just going to attract dirt and actually make it worse. We do one pump on the grease gun every three nights of racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    It is an often overlooked grease zerk. That being said, don't over do it. Too much grease in there is just going to attract dirt and actually make it worse. We do one pump on the grease gun every three nights of racing.
    I prefer to use a dry film lubricant like spray dry graphite on the idler so it doesn't get sticky from the dirt. I also thought they closed the gap down from .100 to something more like .060? They do work better being closer, IMO.

You have to spray the graphite on the shaft and work the idler back and forth with a screwdriver or something, not using the zerk.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I prefer to use a dry film lubricant like spray dry graphite on the idler so it doesn't get sticky from the dirt. I also thought they closed the gap down from .100 to something more like .060? They do work better being closer, IMO.

You have to spray the graphite on the shaft and work the idler back and forth with a screwdriver or something, not using the zerk.
    That's a good idea (graphite). And I've shimmed our flywheel all the way out to .040 without much issue if the gears are fresh.

I would recommend like stated above just a graphite or light white grease, Keep it clean, And the Brinn should be between .040-.070 between the idler gear and flywheel with the starter bolted in.

most engagement problems are voltage related.

Yes that is another good point, Make sure the Bell Housing is clean and also the starter face where the Starter bolts to Bell Housing, And Gage of wire also Like if your running up to 7 foot should use like a #1 Wire on both Positive and Negative cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
    I would recommend like stated above just a graphite or light white grease, Keep it clean, And the Brinn should be between .040-.070 between the idler gear and flywheel with the starter bolted in.
    I think I'm correct about this, but Mad Jack works Brinn. Just so you guys know

Yes sir I do just trying to give Tech Support to help out if I can or when I can I am not pushing our products I do not know everything I actually have learned some things from being on here.