Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Torn carotid artery, I assume from the flip in St. Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreymo View Post
    This should be sending shockwaves through the DLM world in my opinion. He could have been killed in that wreck. First, why didn't the series he runs for have him get evaluated before allowed to race the series? Second, was he using the safety equipment properly and if so what failed and are there modifications that need made? Safety equipment should be constantly be evaluated and updated as cars get faster and things like that.

Do any top national series' have a procedure that the driver must be evaluated by his doctor or series doctor before returning? This is not only for the drivers safety but other drivers, crews, fans, officials, etc...

You can all the top notch saftey equipment and using it properly but chit happens and when it's your turn it's your turn. Ask Kyle Busch. He just happen to hit a section of wall at Daytona that didn't have a SAFER barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    You can all the top notch saftey equipment and using it properly but chit happens and when it's your turn it's your turn. Ask Kyle Busch. He just happen to hit a section of wall at Daytona that didn't have a SAFER barrier.
    I know that and why I was curious if something failed?

Quote Originally Posted by wfo2007 View Post
    This should be sending shockwaves through the DLM world in my opinion. He could have been killed in that wreck. First, why didn't the series he runs for have him get evaluated before allowed to race the series? Second, was he using the safety equipment properly and if so what failed and are there modifications that need made? Safety equipment should be constantly be evaluated and updated as cars get faster and things like that.

Do any top national series' have a procedure that the driver must be evaluated by his doctor or series doctor before returning? This is not only for the drivers safety but other drivers, crews, fans, officials, etc...
    You worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    You worry too much.
    Haha, maybe. I call it being realistic.

There have been a ton of injuries that sidelined DLM drivers this year. Ah, let's just wait until someone is killed to make changes. Good example is the Charlie Floyd tradegy and drivers then making sure to have a fire bottle in their cars. It really sucks that it takes tradegy for safety changes to be made.
    Last edited by wfo2007; 08-19-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Haha, maybe. I call it being realistic.

There have been a ton of injuries that sidelined DLM drivers this year. Ah, let's just wait until someone is killed to make changes. Good example is the Charlie Floyd tradegy and drivers then making sure to have a fire bottle in their cars. It really sucks that it takes tradegy for safety changes to be made.
    Too much saftey equipment can cause a driver to get out of a car slowly or not at all if there is a fire before saftey personal can reach them. Either upside down or right side up.

Good post!!!

if people are worried how fast a driver can get out of a car in case of a wreck. Maybe it's time for a body style change. Like make the window openings bigger or an excape hatch in the roof. Of course we all know it'ii never happen untill someone gets killed. Just look at all the saftey things that came about after Earnhardt Sr was killed.

Racing is kind of a reactive sport for better or worse. In nascar you saw the roof hatch being used and experimented for the 8 races Michael Waltrip was actually good in a race car and not annoying us in the booth, but the hatch never made it in nascar or any other division which given the size of some of the dirt track guys and the lesser aero dependence of dirt classes I figured roof hatches would have become popular. After BC's tragic wreck I see some experimenting with new halo bars over drivers heads in non-wing and midgets. watching non wings and midgets might even be my favorite racing to watch, but there's no chance I'd race one at anything bigger than 1/4 mile with the current cages.

I believe Izzo66 was saying the same thing after Eric wells flipped it at fairbury, and he got blasted on here about worrying for driver safety after a nasty flip or crash. I think he was getting at the driver should go to the hospital to get checked out before being able to get in the car again. I hope he posts his thoughts on this.

I do think that a tall roof line/low decking is a great thing. I am not as sold on the roof hatch. The driver should be able to exit the car on the right side and the left side, however on many cars the right side is not an option. Typically when the driver is trapped in the car, it is when the car is on its lid, so the roof hatch is not useful. Also I like the double upright and the roof bracing on my Swartz to take a hard hit in the roof, all of those bars I am afraid would make a roof hatch in-useable. I would rather have the extra bracing over the exit ability. That said the right side decking is low enough and roof high enough I could get out on that side if needed.

I think that many racers take a it won't happen to me approach to racing, still seeing drivers without gloves floors me, let alone proper underwear. I also see cars with steel driveshafts and ball spline transmissions... We have made great improvements by full containment seats, Hans devices, etc. but we still can improve.

I am not sure what would help in Landers' case, but I do think that we can improve a couple spots of our race cars.
    1. Driveshaft safety, carbon fiber should be mandatory if you run a ball spline.
    2. Left side door, seen a couple cars pancake the left side and driver really get beat up, very little room. I have thought about building a crash absorbing foam box in my left door in case, probably will this off season.
    3. Being able to safely exit the right side of the car.

I could not agree more that WFO2007 has a great post. We can always improve and should always try to. Saying you worry too much or it won't happen to me does not solve anything. Injury and death can always be a part of racing but we should do what we can to minimize our chances of it happening. Sponsors will leave the sport, fans won't bring their children and the sport will loose a racer. Nothing but good comes from safety improvements. Hopefully in a few years we will look back and think how dumb were we for not having that. Think of the ideas that took many years to become widespread that now we can't fathom people racing without: roll bars, window nets, racing seats, full containment seats, belts, fire bottles, fire suits, Hans...

No, once again this isn't Nascrap. Take your mandatory someplace else Mr Obama.

did any of you see the wreck in person I did it was a violent wreck to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    I do think that a tall roof line/low decking is a great thing. I am not as sold on the roof hatch. The driver should be able to exit the car on the right side and the left side, however on many cars the right side is not an option. Typically when the driver is trapped in the car, it is when the car is on its lid, so the roof hatch is not useful. Also I like the double upright and the roof bracing on my Swartz to take a hard hit in the roof, all of those bars I am afraid would make a roof hatch in-useable. I would rather have the extra bracing over the exit ability. That said the right side decking is low enough and roof high enough I could get out on that side if needed.

I think that many racers take a it won't happen to me approach to racing, still seeing drivers without gloves floors me, let alone proper underwear. I also see cars with steel driveshafts and ball spline transmissions... We have made great improvements by full containment seats, Hans devices, etc. but we still can improve.

I am not sure what would help in Landers' case, but I do think that we can improve a couple spots of our race cars.
    1. Driveshaft safety, carbon fiber should be mandatory if you run a ball spline.
    2. Left side door, seen a couple cars pancake the left side and driver really get beat up, very little room. I have thought about building a crash absorbing foam box in my left door in case, probably will this off season.
    3. Being able to safely exit the right side of the car.
    Too much safety can be just as bad as too much. Some on here think they know all the answers and continue to want more legislation that "they" deem appropriate. Some of these full containment seats are over kill in a dlm and would hinder escaping the car upside down or damaged in a huge way. I'm all for recommendations and raising the roof line and lowering the deck, but last week this Wfo2007 was claiming paramedics incapable of checking drivers out after an incident to see if they have a brain injury, he insisted it must be a doctor on site and that they force the racer to go to the hospital against their will and have test run before they can compete.

Quote Originally Posted by racecar1127 View Post
    I believe Izzo66 was saying the same thing after Eric wells flipped it at fairbury, and he got blasted on here about worrying for driver safety after a nasty flip or crash. I think he was getting at the driver should go to the hospital to get checked out before being able to get in the car again. I hope he posts his thoughts on this.
    wells wreck and landers not even in the same leaque

Quote Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
    No, once again this isn't Nascrap. Take your mandatory someplace else Mr Obama.
    How could you have such a great post about the young drivers driving styles and then not agree with something that is directly related? The young guys attitude of being invincible is the exact reason why safety needs to be worked on continuously. These guys are putting themselves and other drivers in some very bad situations. The examples you gave about Pierce and Davenport are spot on. Another one was the move Tyler Erb made in one of the late Summer Nats races where he never lifted and clocked Unzicker (i believe) and both cars upset very quickly from the impact. Really, we could list these things all day. The reality of it stinks though - driving like this does fill the grandstands as many 'fans' want to see the wrecks and the super aggressive driving.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    did any of you see the wreck in person I did it was a violent wreck to say the least
    Not in person but yes it was very nasty and I agree that it cant be compared to Wells wreck.

How could you have such a great post about the young drivers driving styles and then not agree with something that is directly related? The young guys attitude of being invincible is the exact reason why safety needs to be worked on continuously. These guys are putting themselves and other drivers in some very bad situations. The examples you gave about Pierce and Davenport are spot on. Another one was the move Tyler Erb made in one of the late Summer Nats races where he never lifted and clocked Unzicker (i believe) and both cars upset very quickly from the impact. Really, we could list these things all day. The reality of it stinks though - driving like this does fill the grandstands as many 'fans' want to see the wrecks and the super aggressive driving.
    again no comparison erb is out of control where peirce and davenport are not