Default Drivers Pay/ Split of purse money

I went to search for this as I know it's been talked about, however I couldn't find any postings on it, so here are my 3 questions for all you couch racers out there.

1. Am I close when thinking when a driver races for a owner, they make from a range of 40% to 60% of the winnings? Also, t-shirt sales are they split the same or all goes to the driver? What are some at the track sales figures you have heard, money wise?

2. What are some of the top teams bringing in for sponsorship? 100 to 200 thousand or am I way off on this and the typical range is 50 to 100 grand?

3. If you figured cars-motors-hauler-hired help-tires, How much to run a Lucas Oil Series or World of outlaws series?

Thanks for hopefully all the great insight.

Monty

Monty, I'm sure all contracts are different but more than likely your top drivers receive a monthly salary, free travel to the tracks and anything basically that had to do with racing, and bonuses paid on their performance. I would estimate your top drivers receive sponsorships upwards of 250,000 yearly. As far as travel, it would be nearly impossible to estimate the cost of racing a full year on a major series like Lucas oil or WOO because there are so many miles between tracks and you never know how many engines will blow or how much equipment will be torn up. I know a lot of drivers own the rights to their merchandise sales so more than not the driver gets 100% of merchandise sales. Unless your winning on a regular basis these teams are losing money year after year. My best friend for 25 years was lucky enough to have a family with plenty of cash and raced under a major operation for close to 20 years so that's where my knowledge on this subject originated. I seriously doubt that Scott pays for much at all and I know he owns all the merchandise and trailer you see every week at the track. Racing is a tough sport and I can only doubt how much longer we as fans are gonna see super late models go in circles. The cost on these cars are darn near as much as nascar and these guys don't have the major sponsors to go with it. Before its all said and done I think we will see our top drivers in crate cars..

A top notch crate car can run the same cost of a open motor LM

Something I've wondered is if the guys whose primary income is from racing are able to write off some of the costs on their taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Ive never seen a race ready crate cost anywhere even remotely close to 100k.

only true crate motors are the ones that are running in the back.

crates are dead

what the he11 are you smoking

I can't believe what most guys will race for at a regular show,the winner only gets around a thousand,and most guys gets two or three hundred,

If your gonna run lucas...with travel costs...tires...pit passes etc....plan on about $4000 per event

Quote Originally Posted by W2Racing09 View Post
    Come to Ga. It's the norm down here!!!! Spend 50-60k to race in the dust for 500-600 to win!!!!! Like the Price is Right......com'on downnn

1. I said they CAN. Didn't say they did.

2. I just said a open motor LM. Didn't go into any other specifics than that.

Every deal is different. I bet some guys would drive for a top notch operation for peanuts just to improve their program.

Big $$$ sponsorships are few and far between. A few years ago I spoke to a crew guy for one of the top Lucas teams and he told me that their main sponsor was worth $80K per season. Many of these deals are product-only sponsorships... maybe free oil, parts, a chassis, engine repair (after spending $40K on a motor). Some pay the fuel bill... others will buy tires. They run the gamut...

Many of the top guys lease their transport rigs... getting the credit approval and a downstroke on $600,000 worth of new truck and trailer is pretty tough. Lots of older units on the tour I would imagine.

Working for these teams is often a salary plus expenses job. And not a big salary... hard work is the norm. Looks glamorous at first...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

1. I said they CAN. Didn't say they did.

2. I just said a open motor LM. Didn't go into any other specifics than that.
    Its pretty clear he is talking about LOLMDS or WoO and its costs and you have somehow decided to compare the cost of a crate to a 2005 Warrior with an all steel 406 or something? If we are talking about a new top of the line LOLMDS ready car compared to a new top of the line CLM they are not even remotely in the same ball park. If you are not talking about that then you probably should have started a new post because you completely switched topics without telling anyone.

1. I said they CAN. Didn't say they did.2. I just said a open motor LM. Didn't go into any other specifics than that.
    what is that chassis made of gold it certainly is not in the motor

Not only racing equipment, Reece had to hire a driver for the rig full time for Jimmy and also paid his health insurance!

Most of these contract drivers are among the working poor. The self owned teams struggle to make a living racing and usually have a job to supplement their hobby. The owners at the national level are usually high income earners or rich sugar daddies that get a ego boost being around the sport. That being said, if these fat cats did this for a money making proposition, Super LM racing as we know it would be be gone. There will always be dirt racing but various economic factors are hard at work to reduce the scale of these teams.

Its pretty clear he is talking about LOLMDS or WoO and its costs and you have somehow decided to compare the cost of a crate to a 2005 Warrior with an all steel 406 or something? If we are talking about a new top of the line LOLMDS ready car compared to a new top of the line CLM they are not even remotely in the same ball park. If you are not talking about that then you probably should have started a new post because you completely switched topics without telling anyone.
    The only difference being the motor if you are talking car only.