Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ??????????

Question ??????????

I'm wanting to hear some names of drivers who have driven both late models and 410 sprints. After Donny Schatz won the late model feature at River Cities Speedway (Grand Forks, ND) on August 19 he was quoted in the newspaper as saying "driving a late model is a lot different than a sprint car . . .this was a workout . . . . my left hand feels like someone beat it with a ball peen hammer . . . you have to wrestle these cars (late models) . . . you have to turn the wheel five times harder and five times longer than you do in a sprint car."
    I don't have knowledge about the differences so I am looking for comments about what Schatz said.
    Also, sorry for this dumb question: is it against the rules to have power steering in a race car ?
    Thanks,
    Jim Hanson
    P.S. The newspaper article was entitled "Never An Off Night" and was in the Saturday, August 20 Grand Forks Herald.
    P.S. again---Schatz runs a Rocket and the Richards help him out.

Jac Haudenchild, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne, Mark Kinser

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jhanson View Post
    I'm wanting to hear some names of drivers who have driven both late models and 410 sprints. After Donny Schatz won the late model feature at River Cities Speedway (Grand Forks, ND) on August 19 he was quoted in the newspaper as saying "driving a late model is a lot different than a sprint car . . .this was a workout . . . . my left hand feels like someone beat it with a ball peen hammer . . . you have to wrestle these cars (late models) . . . you have to turn the wheel five times harder and five times longer than you do in a sprint car."
    I don't have knowledge about the differences so I am looking for comments about what Schatz said.
    Also, sorry for this dumb question: is it against the rules to have power steering in a race car ?
    Thanks,
    Jim Hanson
    P.S. The newspaper article was entitled "Never An Off Night" and was in the Saturday, August 20 Grand Forks Herald.
    P.S. again---Schatz runs a Rocket and the Richards help him out.
    Kenny Schrader & Tony Stewart are two that I can thing of <> this doesn't include the Prelude to the DREAM race that was held at Eldora for a few years

Also here in Indiana #3w Late Model Randy Woodling (retired a few years back from late model racing) race a sprint car a few time / a year or so at the old Warsaw speedway and I believe Jack Hewitt has done so as well.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 08-23-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

jack Hewitt drove lates and sprints, but I don't remember if he drove winged sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by lokwaidid View Post
    jack Hewitt drove lates and sprints, but I don't remember if he drove winged sprints.
    Gary wright has driven one but I'm not sure he actually raced it.

I watched Hewitt run both at KC in a cosanctioned STARS/All Stars race. Also Rick Aukland started his career in winged sprints. And let's not forget Charlie Swartz running the Loretta Lynn Special with the World of Outlaws.

Dave blaney drove woo sprint and bb mod at syr super dirt week. Dk how much he drove them weekly at that time.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Matt Westfall ran sprints before racing late models last year. He now has returned to sprints both wing and non wing since losing his ride with Best Performance. Jack Hewitt ran every Sunday night at Millstream Speedway in both a winged sprint and late model back in the 80's.
    Last edited by JK4745; 08-23-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Steve Smith Sr. in Pa. Feature winner in both.
    Like I told ya, What I said, STEAL YOUR FACE RIGHT OFF YOUR HEAD!! (Grateful Dead)

4m's own Brian Gray and Hucktyson......wheres Serge?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

rick standridge has on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by lokwaidid View Post
    sure drove champ and midgets also and modified

not against the rules for power steering you are working the wheel harder than a winged sprinter non wing winged not so much

Pretty sure The King Kinser drove a late model some back in the day at Brownstown.

Gray Wright.

I'm no expert but the difference is quite obvious from just sitting in the grand stands. He actually had to try both before making a determination???

Against the rules to have power steering? By God I hope not. Holy chit. I know a guy who who has tons of feature wins and track championships awesome talent and a stout car, started on the front row of a $5k to win 50 lap feature one night and pulled off after 5 laps because he lost power steering. He wasnt gonna wrestle the wheel and endanger other drivers
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 08-23-2016 at 08:07 PM.

I was gonna say Charlie. Didn't he drive some of the Knittles sprints in the hay day?

Sprint cars have so much stagger I could only imagine the sprint car would be much easier to drive because the car wants to go left on its own where a DLM need a little help, especially turning down into the corner. On the other hand the sprints carry so much speed through the corners it would be mentally exhausting getting that baby to go right where you need it. Quarter midgets is as far as I made it so other than logic my opinion is a complete guess.

yes Charlie Swartz did and did it well

Default Schatz

Dont forget rick eckert as well. He drove a eckert trucking number 0 sprint car in the early stages of his career.