Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NASCAR Fuel Mileage races....... is that really racing?

I was thinking about this while watching Larson over the weekend, thinking about how many times we hear guys are shutting engines off on straights to save fuel, dipping the clutch, etc on long runs to make fuel, etc, and the thought occurred to me, is that really what racing is all about? Conserving fuel?

And how many times did the guy who won not do it on pure speed but speed, efficiency and fuel saving strategy? Is this really "racing" as we think it should be?

So I was thinking that maybe, to really shake things up, NASCAR should have a rule in place that says the car must remain engaged in gear and the engine must remain running at all times during the course of an event.

I think the end result would still be the same to watch, but making these guys actually keep the car running and in gear the whole way would sure change the dynamics and strategy. It just gets old constantly listening to the commentators talk about fuel strategy, who is shutting the engine off, dipping the clutch to simply outlast the guys in front on fuel to win.

I know Michigan wasn't a fuel mileage race, but there are so many that end up being won on fuel strategy which isn't really the same skill as being able to be the fastest guy out there.

You know, I do agree with you a little, I don't like fuel mileage racing, but it is part of the sport, part of the strategy, if you will... But another rule, naw, I don't hate it that much.... What really ticks me off is when the crew chief "KNOWS" that a run is 45 laps and he pits his driver at 50 laps to go and wants the driver to stretch it ... I saw it done to Kyle, Harvick, Biffle, Kenseth and Brad, in the same race!!! to me, that crew chief should be flogged... at least give your driver a chance of finishing, you can't race idling .... at least not very well. It made no sense, to pit the guys early, wait five laps then go for it, after the first one it was a monkey see monkey do....

Smokey Yunick once said that USAC Silver Crown racing is the last true vestige of real racing in America. Smokey said "they qualify, start straight up, run 100 miles with no fuel or tire stops and we see who's fastest. No pit stops or fuel strategy to get in the way". I reckon I'll take Smokey's word for it since he was 4 times smarter than the very smartest person posting here.

Eliminate fuel and tire strategy and see who's fastest over the course of the advertised distance!!

I'll 2nd the Yunick theory.

If that was his preference I guess that's fine...... I don't believe I have ever seen a Silver Crown race in person.... But there are worlds difference between NASCAR and Silver Crown.... I could use the analogy of one of our local tracks used to have an Enduro race, 250 laps, you leave the track surface, your done.... so you see, Silver Crown is all of a sudden suckin' hind tit..... there is always one-upsmanship

I though the first car to the checkered flag was the winner????.....wouldn't that make you the fastest also???
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Would going back to the 22 gallon fuel cell make a difference?

going next weekend yep to the world 100 same setup as the silver crown cars

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    going next weekend yep to the world 100 same setup as the silver crown cars
    Really? NOT!!!

yes it is 100 laps no fuel and both will get dusty lol

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    If that was his preference I guess that's fine...... I don't believe I have ever seen a Silver Crown race in person.... But there are worlds difference between NASCAR and Silver Crown.... I could use the analogy of one of our local tracks used to have an Enduro race, 250 laps, you leave the track surface, your done.... so you see, Silver Crown is all of a sudden suckin' hind tit..... there is always one-upsmanship
    LOLOL!! Huh? Over time you have been gradually gravitating toward sounding just like litey and this one looks like litey wrote it!

Smokey Yunick forgot 3 times more about all forms of racing than you ever thought you knew. His assessment actually makes good sense. Yours? Not so much.

And, the irony of some tunnel visioned pee wee jr. sycophant passing judgement on a race car genre' whose races they've never attended or know anything about is palpable. Ironic or just plain dumb? It's safe to go with the latter.

Just for the record, Silver Crown racing has never "sucked 'hind tit".

I am not a big fan of fuel milage races. However, i don't see anything changing. Especially when Nascar can hope beyond hope that Danica could win one of them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    I am not a big fan of fuel milage races. However, i don't see anything changing. Especially when Nascar can hope beyond hope that Danica could win one of them. LOL
    I agree, fuel mileage in NASCAR has been prevalent for decades and is an integral part of it's culture and likely will not ever change. I only refer to the Silver Crown example to point out that there is a viable alternative and is/was embraced by some very intelligent and influential folks.
    Last edited by CIRF; 08-31-2016 at 08:56 PM.

How about the debris cautions? When was the last time you saw a race go green for the last 25-30 miles without somebody throwing out a piece of debris to draw a last second caution? It's all by design!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    I agree, fuel mileage in NASCAR has been prevalent for decades and is an integral part of it's culture and likely will not ever change. I only refer to the Silver Crown example to point out that there is a viable alternative and is/was embraced by some very intelligent and influential folks.
    Viable alternative? Fuel cell would have to be 100 gallons in a cup car weasel breath.... LOL

LOLOL!! Huh? Over time you have been gradually gravitating toward sounding just like litey and this one looks like litey wrote it!

Smokey Yunick forgot 3 times more about all forms of racing than you ever thought you knew. His assessment actually makes good sense. Yours? Not so much.

And, the irony of some tunnel visioned pee wee jr. sycophant passing judgement on a race car genre' whose races they've never attended or know anything about is palpable. Ironic or just plain dumb? It's safe to go with the latter.

Just for the record, Silver Crown racing has never "sucked 'hind tit".
    Golly, you got a real problem with anyone that doesn't conform to your thinking.... what the heck is wrong with you? You shooting for jerk of the year award?

LOLOL!! Huh? Over time you have been gradually gravitating toward sounding just like litey and this one looks like litey wrote it!Smokey Yunick forgot 3 times more about all forms of racing than you ever thought you knew. His assessment actually makes good sense. Yours? Not so much.And, the irony of some tunnel visioned pee wee jr. sycophant passing judgement on a race car genre' whose races they've never attended or know anything about is palpable. Ironic or just plain dumb? It's safe to go with the latter.Just for the record, Silver Crown racing has never "sucked 'hind tit".
    ole smokey would not even recognize the race cars we have today except the dinosaurs they call champ cars sorry cirf just stating the facts

but smokey and scott bloomquist would be great friends they both like to cheat

I just suggested having a rule that said the car must remain in gear and the engine running. There would still be fuel mileage involved in the form of gearing, RPMs, etc to try and achieve the fastest time over the race distance.

I just think its kind of dumb watching two guys "racing" with one guy out front doing everything possible to shut the engine off and coast while they guy behind tries to chase him down, maybe even doing some coasting and engine shut down stuff too, and they call that "racing" to the checked flag. That isn't racing, that is a fuel conservation contest.

It reminds of me an old Brady Bunch episode, or maybe it was on Leave it to Beaver, where two teams of high school kids get a gallon of gas for their car and whomever goes the furthest on that gallon wins. (Yeah, I know, showing my age there). But the show showed these two teams "competing" and it was like watching paint dry, seeing who could go the slowest and save that gas the longest.

It's something, but to me, that isn't really racing.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    Viable alternative? Fuel cell would have to be 100 gallons in a cup car weasel breath.... LOL

WoW you once again never cease to amaze me with your ability to be the instigator in name calling! But yet you claim to know Oooooooooooh so much about racing past and present........ Yeah right you Betcha! If you like fuel mileage racing that they are playing in nascar today and all of these last second debris cautions and sh1t thats fine but dont bring your holier than thou self up on here thinking that you know so much about the world of champ dirt cars and real racing because you dont know diddly sh1t dude! CIRF keep on bringing your knowledge of the openwheel world and dont worry about ol cumslinger i mean mudslinger..... Hey mud are you huckytsons twin or something? because you sure act alot like him!
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!