Default Removing plastic off old aluminum sheet

Does anyone have any ideas to get old plastic off colored sheets. I have some perfectly good colored aluminum but can't get the plastic off. It comes off in little tiny strips instead of coming off as a sheet. Heat doesn't seem to help really, didn't know if maybe there was a chemical someone has used that didn't dull the finish of the color. Thanks in advance.

I hope you get an answer to this, because I did kinda the same thing. I re-skinned my enclosed trailer, but forgot to take the plastic off the panel that comprised the side entry door. It's been sitting for a 12 or 18 months like that (outside) and now the plastic won't peel off in a sheet.

My plan was to try a pressure washer on it, because the paint underneath should be pretty sturdy but I haven't tried that yet.

Let me know how that works out

Steam Cleaner works fine

I peeled up about 2" off the 4' wide end used a piece of conduit and rolled it up on the conduit. The entire way down the 10' sheet. Not easy but it worked.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Default Too brittle

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    I peeled up about 2" off the 4' wide end used a piece of conduit and rolled it up on the conduit. The entire way down the 10' sheet. Not easy but it worked.
    This is like flaking paint. No way to get it far enough along, its just brittle and even heated still flakes.

Ok... so you are going to think that I am retarded after you read this. I had the exact same flaking issue after I installed installed some polished diamond plate to the front of my trailer. I didn't want to put any chemical on it that would dull the polish. The ONLY thing that I found that would soften the adhesive so that it could be pressure washed off was.... Repel Insect Repellent. You read that right.... If I remember right, I sprayed it on, let it soak overnight, pressure washed the next day. I think I might have had to repeat the steps a couple of times to get it all off. I am not sure what chemical in it softened the adhesive, but i remember thinking that if you can spray it on your skin, it shouldn't harm the metal. Try it in an inconspicuous spot and make sure it doesn't effect the paint. Mine was polished metal and it turned out fine.
    Last edited by turtle1hp; 09-02-2016 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

do you think it helped with the bugs though? Are there less bugs guts on it now then before?

Im only guessing that denatured Alcohol would soften the adhesive. If that dry's too fast that lacquer thinner or mineral oil would prolly do it.

You will never get that diamond plate passed a bench mark test now.

I did notice that when I am hooking the truck up to the trailer, the bugs don't seem to be quite as bothersome.... lol
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

Thanks for the responses but keep on topic please.

Tried the pressure washer on it today, didn't even get close to taking the old plastic off.

Might try heat gun next.