Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Was Randy Boggs winning the world 100 considered a big upset?

I wasnt real old when he won the race although i do remember it. Dont seem like he was a real big name like Jack was if I remember correctly?

Yes! Was driving for a low budget team. No, he wasn't the big name like Jack, but was a good driver.

It was the biggest GIFT in World 100 history as every car in front of him kept dropping out in the race.

Be the one who lasts til the end. Still won the race.

I'm sure Mcdowell feels like his gift was bigger

Negative Nancy has to chime in on everything, doesn't he?

Moyer had it locked up and broke with only 4-5 laps remaining. It had rained and it was real late and a lot of people started leaving with 10 to go.....guess they had a hell of a surprise or maybe they still don't know.

Can't believe some wouldn't think the little guy winning occasionally would be a good thing! But again, I read it on 4M and remember that many members still live in caves (or should).

how long did Randy race after this? I honestly dont remember hearing much about him, but like I said i was pretty young although I did keep up on racing as much as a young kid could.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    It was the biggest GIFT in World 100 history as every car in front of him kept dropping out in the race.
    that happens

Quote Originally Posted by Rollover View Post
    how long did Randy race after this? I honestly dont remember hearing much about him, but like I said i was pretty young although I did keep up on racing as much as a young kid could.
    He raced for another 10 years or so, but rarely did any traveling. He told me once that he could try to race full-time or put his daughters through college. Like any good family man, he did what was best for his family. Randy is one of the good guys. And there was nothing lucky about his World 100 win. He was in the right place at the right time. The exact same scenario has played out at many crown jewel events.

I love to see my guy win, but when the underdog fights and claws and pulls off a big one, it's a good night!!!!

taking care of the car and getting her to finish was a big plus back than.

I like to hear of the underdog pulling out the win

Here a couple of years ago Randy and Jackie's brother Tom were trying to get a steel block car going over at portsmouth.

My dad used to help Randy some back in the mid to late 90s, he drove a mod for a friend of ours, and drove his late model. He had one of the last Rayburn cantilever cars that I ever remember seeing. It was a funky looking thing, but d@mn it would go. I remember sitting in it when they were loading the car, it had a shock being beside the seat.

That was some World 100, rain delays cars dropping out and it got over nearly the next morning. Happy for Randy. I knew him a little, he came to Florence often. He raced for several years in to the 2000's. He had a real good car for a few years after the World win, and drove the wheels off of it. Never had a big budget, but did have some success at the area tracks.

Randy is the only guy I remember ever having 4 cars to drive at the World 100. And he was a good racer. I think there have been bigger upsets at Eldora.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I remember the four cars. I think Purvis had four too. Maybe not him, but I think it was