Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Not sure who watched the end, but his suit was nearly in tact. I believe I heard them say it was a triple layer.

It saved his life.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtfan2757 View Post
    Not sure who watched the end, but his suit was nearly in tact. I believe I heard them say it was a triple layer.

It saved his life.
    I got a phone call so missed the end, but I did read some were that his suit was a good one and that he may have died if it was not..And his burns were not as bad cause he had on a new real good Fire Suit..
    A lot of drivers wash there Fire suits.. They need to know that ever time they wash them they dont work as good then and they need too retreat them...from time to time...

This has been going on well over 50yrs. There shouldn't be a race held without trained fire and rescue on-hand ready to react at a moments notice.

My uncle was at Charlotte Motor Speedway the day that Fireball Roberts' car caught fire and he eventually perished. He (my uncle) said he could have run from the grandstands, climbed the fence and made it to the wreck before any track officials got to Fireball. My uncle is a strong man, but you could tell by the look in his eyes as he told his story that it was traumatizing to watch. There were drivers there, but they couldn't do anything for several minutes with all the fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_World_600

Good Morning to all! I would like to inform everyone that there will be new changes for safety coming to the track. Chesley is much better, and is doing great.

yea I was there when Charlie Floyd got burned up...now having time to think about what I could've done different for him I would've got a truck or something and turn is car where he was up hill instead of down hill to give the fire crew more time....I was just a crew member helping my brother that night. I saw the wreck and the fire and saw that the fire truck was there in no time and kept working underneath my brothers car thinking they would get it out but after about 3or4 min the flames was still huge I told my brother to grab is fire extinguisher and help put out the fire...bout 70-80yrds away he ran and helped i got there at the end to help flip the car over Charlie was fighting for air but the damage was already done
    after hot laps I'll pick the winner

That is heart wrenching to read and try to comprehend birky. I suppose we can only hope that we can learn from terrible things like that. If anybody was watching DOD broadcast on Saturday from EAMS, they had a street stock catch fire in turn 1, and not the slightest clue what the he11 to do.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    That is heart wrenching to read and try to comprehend birky. I suppose we can only hope that we can learn from terrible things like that. If anybody was watching DOD broadcast on Saturday from EAMS, they had a street stock catch fire in turn 1, and not the slightest clue what the he11 to do.
    its hard to think quick under pressure and in stressed moments I guess we live and learn
    after hot laps I'll pick the winner

Quote Originally Posted by birky time View Post
    its hard to think quick under pressure and in stressed moments I guess we live and learn
    That's why there should be professionals there and at all tracks

Quote Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
    That's why there should be professionals there and at all tracks
    Correct. If you cannot handle the pressure, quit, or get outta the way for those that can. People are depending on you, don't have a fukin panic attack, could be the difference between life and death for that person.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.