Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Chesley Dixon Fire at Swainsboro

Since this hasn't been discussed on here, I'll do it.

We were there Saturday night and witnessed it up close. I've been going to dirt track races for almost 50 years. This was the scariest thing I've ever seen.

It started when the leader, Chesley Dixon, caught a rut exiting Turn 4. The car barrel-rolled twice and then stood up on its nose. At that point the second place car of Blake Smth hit the bottom of Dixon's car, resulting in the leader's car erupting in flames. The car landed upside down and immediately was engulfed in fire. With Chesley Dixon trapped in the driver's seat.

Other drivers, crew members, fans, etc., rushed to the fire to attempt to extinguish it, but weren't able to. Blake Smith's car also burned in the fire, but they were able to get him out after a minute or so. But Dixon's car continued to burn, with flames reaching 15-20 feet high, as fuel still fed the fire. The entire place was chaos, with people running and yelling, fans in the stands screaming and crying. Track personnel were yelling into the grandstands for additional fire extinguisgers. My wife has been a nurse for 25 years and even she had trouble containing her emotions as Chesley remained trapped in the car for 15 or 20 minutes.

By now two things were shockingly obvious -- there was no fire truck at the track, and there were no trained professionals with the knowledge or equipment to do anything about the situation. After what seemed like forever, Chesley was pulled from the car and carried to an ambulance. The car burned another 10 minutes or so before it was finally extinguished.

Most importantly, by the grace of God, Chesley is alive. He is burned over much of his hands, arms, and lower body. He begins the first of many surgeries today. The only reason he's alive is, the driver's side of the car was uphill on the track, and the burning fuel was running down the embankment and away from him. Otherwise, he'd have burned alive.

Throughout the entire tragedy, one topic kept going through the crowd: Where is the fire personnel?? Where's the fire truck?? Where are the firemen? Even after 20 or 30 minutes, no fire personnel arrived. This track charged $20 a head and had a large crowd, and they won't spend $200 to have a fire truck and a couple trained firemen sitting at the track? That's absolutely inexcusable and it nearly cost a man his life. I'm assuming lawsuits are forthcoming, and they would be 100% justified.

Please pray for Chesley, his wife Bridget and their children.
    Last edited by TerryM; 09-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.

where was on the on board fire equipment

TerryM, I'm not sure what's going on today in racing but, it seems like safety is taking a back seat and I'm going to assume because, of cost but, are we going to see a guy or gal have to die before they realize safety has no cost it's a must. At least my home track they do have fireman on the infield in the corners and they are trained fireman. They do not have a fire truck on site. One thing about it if they would use them they are also trained as EMT's so that could be something they could possibly look into.

I agree I pray for the family for a speedy recovery!

already had atleast one die this year from fire

Can't say I'm surprised. Seems like anytime there's a bad crash at the track every inbred hick in the place goes running onto the track, which just adds to the confusion, with 30 different people doing 30 different things.

And the idea that you would have 25 cars filled with race fuel rolling around a track as fast as they can without a firetruck on scene is just ridiculous.

It's just like every other business. They all preach safety. But when it comes down to spending a little money on tools or equipment to keep you safe, the higher ups piss and moan. Driver safety is more than a suit, gloves and helmet. The track needs to do it's part also. Praying for a quick recovery

Why the HE!! do drivers continue to put themselves into this position going to tracks that obviously put their bottom line ahead of the drivers, teams, and fans lives and safety.
    As I've said many times before if a track can't/won't put out the money for a trained FD or VFD that has the proper equipment and training to handle situations like this it really has to make one wonder if they even have insurance coverage.
    Drivers, teams, fans, and families do yourselves a favor that could save you from injury and or even the possibility of death.....
    If you don't see properly trained fire/rescue personnel, actual fire/rescue vehicles and equipment, and an ambulance just turn around and leave and find a track and owner that cares about your life and safety.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    TerryM, I'm not sure what's going on today in racing but, it seems like safety is taking a back seat and I'm going to assume because, of cost but, are we going to see a guy or gal have to die before they realize safety has no cost it's a must. At least my home track they do have fireman on the infield in the corners and they are trained fireman. They do not have a fire truck on site. One thing about it if they would use them they are also trained as EMT's so that could be something they could possibly look into.

I agree I pray for the family for a speedy recovery!
    Charlie Floyd.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Since this hasn't been discussed on here, I'll do it.

We were there Saturday night and witnessed it up close. I've been going to dirt track races for almost 50 years. This was the scariest thing I've ever seen.

It started when the leader, Chesley Dixon, caught a rut exiting Turn 4. The car barrel-rolled twice and then stood up on its nose. At that point the second place car of Blake Smth hit the bottom of Dixon's car, resulting in the leader's car erupting in flames. The car landed upside down and immediately was engulfed in fire. With Chesley Dixon trapped in the driver's seat.

Other drivers, crew members, fans, etc., rushed to the fire to attempt to extinguish it, but weren't able to. Blake Smith's car also burned in the fire, but they were able to get him out after a minute or so. But Dixon's car continued to burn, with flames reaching 15-20 feet high, as fuel still fed the fire. The entire place was chaos, with people running and yelling, fans in the stands screaming and crying. Track personnel were yelling into the grandstands for additional fire extinguisgers. My wife has been a nurse for 25 years and even she had trouble containing her emotions as Chesley remained trapped in the car for 15 or 20 minutes.

By now two things were shockingly obvious -- there was no fire truck at the track, and there were no trained professionals with the knowledge or equipment to do anything about the situation. After what seemed like forever, Chesley was pulled from the car and carried to an ambulance. The car burned another 10 minutes or so before it was finally extinguished.

Most importantly, by the grace of God, Chesley is alive. He is burned over much of his hands, arms, and lower body. He begins the first of many surgeries today. The only reason he's alive is, the driver's side of the car was uphill on the track, and the burning fuel was running down the embankment and away from him. Otherwise, he'd have burned alive.

Throughout the entire tragedy, one topic kept going through the crowd: Where is the fire personnel?? Where's the fire truck?? Where are the firemen? Even after 20 or 30 minutes, no fire personnel arrived. This track charged $20 a head and had a large crowd, and they won't spend $200 to have a fire truck and a couple trained firemen sitting at the track? That's absolutely inexcusable and it nearly cost a man his life. I'm assuming lawsuits are forthcoming, and they would be 100% justified.

Please pray for Chesley, his wife Brittany, and their children.
    Since I know your posts are always spot on, what a fukin joke. You'd thought the Charlie Floyd deal would wake people up. But evidently not.

To not even have a fire truck is just unimaginable. These places shouldn't be allowed to hold a race without EMS and a fire truck. Period, end of story.

I hope he pulls through, he has a wife and a daughter. And yes, he has every right to sue. I'm hoping though, he didn't know they didn't have a fire truck.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    where was on the on board fire equipment
    Very few have it yet. I'm curious, where was the fire truck. That should be a given, no EMS, no fire truck, NO RACE. I've had to sit at tracks more than once till the medical personnel were back from taking a driver or fan to the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Charlie Floyd.
    Sorry I was talking about each individual track.

I don't know of to many tracks in this area that has a fire truck onsite
    Last edited by kidrock; 09-05-2016 at 10:00 AM.

The entire time I was thinking, this is the Charlie Floyd situation all over again. It was almost identical in every way. Except for the outcome. Chesley was extremely fortunate.

Good honest, articulate post TerryM, it's easy to feel your pain and frustration by your heartfelt words. I can imagine that was a traumatic experience for all the fans that had to witness that, I hope I never do.

I'm only asking this because I don't know, and I know their would be limits to protection, but how are driver's firesuits rated and/or certified? Are they required to be worn or required to be 're-certified' every so often? I know many drivers opt for the two piece firesuit, so is the one piece more effective? Again, I'm only asking these things because I don't know...the couple of teams I've helped with (several years ago now) the driver's firesuit was always 5-10 years old and often looked wore out. They would spend big money on a good helmet and seat, but the suit was always worn just as long as it would (halfway) fit.

This guy has the aftermath. Pretty bad. Scroll down a bit.

https://www.facebook.com/rjsracingupdates/

So anytime a driver gets hurt at a race track they have the right to sue? Guess how long racing will be happening in this country. While what happened is tragic, laying the blame on someone/something else after the fact doesn't make you the victim. Drivers know the dangers and each time they climb in a racecar it could be the last. I see people on one hand advocating that tracks provide every ounce of safety then turn around and ignore the driver not providing every ounce of safety on their part. When you enter a track as a racer, it is your job to judge whether or not the track is safe to race at. Failure to do this and knowingly racing in an environment where if something happens and there is nothing in place to prevent it is 100% the driver's fault! They don't make everyone who enters the pits sign a waiver for nothing. Was this accident the driver's fault? Of course not, but he knowingly entered the event under these conditions.

Like I said, a tragic incident but one that could have been prevented. Safety costs a lot of money and is the main reason it is neglected on both parts, drivers and tracks!

I see a big law Suit from this one.. If its a UMP track Rules say Must have Proper Fire EQ . on Site..Wolfgang sued for this and won.. And the racing world came down on his head.. I was on Wolfgang side .. There should have been a way at the track too put out the Fire and there was Not..This is not good for the Dirt world.. 1 time Gov. stays out of it 2nd time I see the Gov. stepping in and mandate what must be on site...

If the driver has a on board fire fight Eq. its only good for about 2 min if that .. Its so it gives time for the fire fighters to get there.. so it would have done little to help him after 2 min...100 to 200 bucks a night to have a fire truck there so this man will not be scared for life is not that much money..They will spend that in the first 5 min in the law suit...I know FarmerCity and fairbury have a fire truck there ever night...A little now or a lot later.. Plus maybe no no get hurt..

Bottom line would be are you willing to pay a bit more in admission prices to have the local fire department present?
    My local track use to have a small emergency fire truck at its track, for a fee, but I guess that fee got to be too much for the promoter because there is no longer a fire or rescue presence.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Bottom line would be are you willing to pay a bit more in admission prices to have the local fire department present?
    My local track use to have a small emergency fire truck at its track, for a fee, but I guess that fee got to be too much for the promoter because there is no longer a fire or rescue presence.
    Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too.

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too.
    Yep work with the fire dep.. they will work with you.. most of the time...I know some tracks let all the Fire fighters in free and then they rotate the ones that work the fire truck..