Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

What are better ways to prevent the fuel from escaping the system in a crash .
    Last edited by CGF; 09-06-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Soft Bladder Fuel Cells

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Soft Bladder Fuel Cells
    Yap Even a good size hole and if it is leaking it will not be as fast...

The modern dirt late model has other safety issues, too........ Getting out of the car. Low roof lines, interior boxing/sheet metal both are at the forefront. Other factors, although they are safety components are the containment seat and even the HANS-type devise, all contribute to make exiting-challenges. Especially quick ones. If a car lands driver's side down, it's tough for the driver to get out, or to even extricate the driver by others. With a fire............

Flagone, Cardirt0, Thanks for all the POSITIVE comments, I too am retired firefighter Flagone, lol. So I think the three of us should take our fire safety show on the road and preach it brothers. FOAM, FOAM FOAM, can't say it enuff. need to also check the emergency vehicles for the jaws of life!!

Quote Originally Posted by bayou tuff View Post
    Flagone, Cardirt0, Thanks for all the POSITIVE comments, I too am retired firefighter Flagone, lol. So I think the three of us should take our fire safety show on the road and preach it brothers. FOAM, FOAM FOAM, can't say it enuff. need to also check the emergency vehicles for the jaws of life!!
    Plus Fire Gear a person trying to get the man out of the car.. If he has on the right Fire gear on.. He has 2 or 3 min more time too try and get him out of the car .... then you dont give a $hit about the car FOAM the driver First...I am not a Firefighter but been a round gas and Fuel so much, I though it be good for me too know what too do if there is a fire So I did classes...Most people see a fire the start at the top of the fire .. No No No you hit the fire at the base of the Fire first..Got to Think when there is a fire, keep you Head, Someones life may depend on it...
    A good firefighter is Not just knowing what to do as much as what too do first..
    Add
    I guess seeing someone burn 90% of there body ,was enuff for me too learn what too do so if i see it agen.. So I know what too to do to try and STOP it... Plus not knowing what to do you may do something too make it Worst...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-07-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Had too Add

Quote Originally Posted by bayou tuff View Post
    Power shears cut a tube on the frame in 2 sec flat.. never hurts too have them to...

It would be a good thing, to train all the track workers for fire fighting fuel fires. Some of the guys are volunteers that just get to watch the races for being there at some tracks. It's not that they don't want to do the best job possible, it's jst that no one showed them. To be truthful a lot of regular firemen are not great on fuel fires, just because they don't see them often. I was trained on a flight deck of a aircraft carrier and we saw more than our share. A rescue has combined elements. Water umbrella spray to knock down the heat, Foam to suppress oxygen to the fire and Heat suit to aid the removal of the Pilot/ Driver. A well trained crew can rescue and put a 600 pounds of JP out, in seconds not minutes. I have seen a A7A, drive a strut thew a wing tank and crash on the hook. Fire was put out in a little over 10 seconds and deck cleared in 10 minutes. Pilot and RIO unharmed. It is not a impossible task. I was there. It will scare the Bejesus out of you. You jump 10 foot in the air and land with a hose in your hand. The second one gets easier. It is easier to run towards the fire than away. That umbrella spray is so important just to reduce heat for a rescue. Regular hose water does not work. It will spread the flames. Foam is needed. These guys should learn from the experts on these kind of fires. There must be manuals for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    It would be a good thing, to train all the track workers for fire fighting fuel fires. Some of the guys are volunteers that just get to watch the races for being there at some tracks. It's not that they don't want to do the best job possible, it's jst that no one showed them. To be truthful a lot of regular firemen are not great on fuel fires, just because they don't see them often. I was trained on a flight deck of a aircraft carrier and we saw more than our share. A rescue has combined elements. Water umbrella spray to knock down the heat, Foam to suppress oxygen to the fire and Heat suit to aid the removal of the Pilot/ Driver. A well trained crew can rescue and put a 600 pounds of JP out, in seconds not minutes. I have seen a A7A, drive a strut thew a wing tank and crash on the hook. Fire was put out in a little over 10 seconds and deck cleared in 10 minutes. Pilot and RIO unharmed. It is not a impossible task. I was there. It will scare the Bejesus out of you. You jump 10 foot in the air and land with a hose in your hand. The second one gets easier. It is easier to run towards the fire than away. That umbrella spray is so important just to reduce heat for a rescue. Regular hose water does not work. It will spread the flames. Foam is needed. These guys should learn from the experts on these kind of fires. There must be manuals for it.
    There is a lot of places you can get to teach you what too do it at little to no cost if you look around..When I was at the Air force base.. they Said You have too stay cool keep you head..Then do this first..They made a Point If you do it right its out fast...All people on the infield should have some kind of training for gas fires...

it seems like I remember Atomic Speedway, (in Tennessee) used to have a contracted group of safety workers who were rescue personnel, equipped with everything they needed, and they all dressed alike, so you knew who was who.
    Does anyone remember this group? Sounds like a good idea for tracks to use.

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    it seems like I remember Atomic Speedway, (in Tennessee) used to have a contracted group of safety workers who were rescue personnel, equipped with everything they needed, and they all dressed alike, so you knew who was who.
    Does anyone remember this group? Sounds like a good idea for tracks to use.
    Did they have several UTVs fitted with fire equipment and rescue gear and wore the all red Gforce suits? I have seen them at several tracks. I remember they had there gear on at all times including helmets. The last place I seen them I think was over at Green Valley or TST during the Al state championship or the Ice Bowl

yeah...that was them. I thought it was a first class way to handle it.

2 different groups guys.

Atomic was MSR - Motorsports Rescue my buddy Shannon Dishner's group - no longer in business.

The UTV guys are Track Pro Motorsports which belongs to my other buddy Gary McCullar - still active.

Do they make an onboard foam system?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    Do they make an onboard foam system?
    Lots of sizes lot of people make good foam fire Eq.. from 10 pound to 1000 pound from hand held to back packs too small trucks too BIG fire trucks...You can buy good foam hand 10 20 pound ones from Home depot..
    ....so came back and an. your ?
    Sorry did not read onboard .. Most can be loaded with H2O or Co2 or Foam..If it was me I have 5 pounder Strapped down just to the right of me so I could spray me down.. to help teal can get me out..If you covered with foam you have 80% change of keeping you from burns for 2 min or more min then If you dont If you are covered with gas.. And you foam your self the gas can not burn.. Can only be good...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-07-2016 at 06:03 PM.

They are live now having a driver's meeting about upgrading fire safety. It's online

They got a Foam truck GOOD for them....

Racing is a dangerous sport. Remember that Nascar didn't implement soft walls and HANS device until Earnhardt's death. It took this for them to live and learn. Maybe this will help dirt tracks all over become more proactive.

And they looking too add foam too the water trucks.. that mean the trucks to water the track would become fire fighting trucks in a gas fire...they are on top of it.. live and learn..They have Learned...