Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thank You.......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I've never been all that in favor of mandating rules or safety equipment if its something that doesn't effect others, sort of like motorcycle helmet rules and etc. If you don't wear one, the risk is pretty much all on you and have no effect on anyone else, but that can't be said about eye protection on a bike where if something gets into your eye and you can't see then you could kill someone else (just an example). If you want to race without a fire suit, I really don't care as it's stupid and all on you then.

But anyways some things to improve safety:

1. All your fuel fittings should be steel not aluminum as during a roll over they are going to be much harder to snap off and run the fuel out of the lines. Granted no one does this and aluminum AN fitting are pretty much the standard. But how many times have you seen a wreck and the fitting gets snapped off the block mounted fuel pump or fuel cell? Lines rarely rip in half in my experience but fittings snap off fairly easy.

2. Battery mounting: many are not mounted that great where they can shift in the battery box and arch to ground causing sparks thus more chance to ignite any spilled fuel. A non conductive cover over the battery terminals would go a long ways to prevent arching and sparks

3. Tracks having a grappling hook or a hook on a long pole with a chain or fire retardant rope to allow people to turn a car over or move it into a more desired position when they can't get close to said car due to fire. Just something to allow the car to be turned over quickly if it's in a position that hampers the drivers or works ability to get the driver out of the car.

4. The cars are fast enough that really the frame construction rules are really not up to par and it's never checked anyways but 1.5" .065 tubing on the main cage is really sketchy for the speeds these cars are going on some race tracks. Think about this what's holding the engine from being in you lap in a head on impact? A 1/4" aluminum mid plate and 2 half inch bolts that attach to side aluminum motor mounts that are bolted to likely lightened aluminum block with 3 3/8" bolts. There isn't much stopping the engine from ending up in your feet/lap, maybe the dizzy hitting the dash bar and the headers hitting the foot box.

5. A fuel shut off (possibly with a external cable that someone could close it without getting right next to the cell) made into the fuel cell would likely help instead of relying on a roll over valve that probably isn't ever checked to see if it's working and the flapper valves on the fill cap that is constantly being bend by the funnel when filling it with fuel. Anything to make the lines/fitting harder to break off during a wreck/rollover and leak fuel would be a plus.

6. Already mentions was the obvious things like fire suppression and related safety equipment. Anyone that wears a 2 piece fire suit and thinking they have some safety is crazy. You think those flames aren't going to go right up the between the pants and jacket?????????

In short, you need to rely on yourself and make decision if it safe to race. Just remember your car may be up to snuff but you may get into a pile up and someone else's car isn't and a fire breaks out and your caught in it.
    I agree with everything he said, very logical simple things. Great post Billet

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Sorry I was talking about each individual track.

I don't know of to many tracks in this area that has a fire truck onsite
    Gotcha. I don't mean like a full blown full size fire truck. But a pick-up fire truck with guys on it trained who know what they are doing.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Gotcha. I don't mean like a full blown full size fire truck. But a pick-up fire truck with guys on it trained who know what they are doing.
    Well my home track has a few pick up trucks but, they have trained fire fighters that are also trained EMT's. I'm not sure what kind of special fire equipment they have in the pick up truck other than fire extinguishers.
    Last edited by kidrock; 09-06-2016 at 11:01 AM.

I read someplace the bigger 75 lb bottles do a better job than a bunch of small ones .... I guess the full volume of a Bigger extinguisher doesnt give the fire a chance to breath ... Smothering it all at once im guessing ....
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Most all the tracks in my area (Western Pa.) allow the VFD's to sell 50/50 tickets and collect the proceeds for the VFD, do various other things to make money for the VFD's, give them free food and admission, and some if not all the tracks also give them a nice donation too.
    Which track was it in central PA that the promoter went berky because the fire department started to leave the track because the promoter was to pay them some piddly amount like $50.00 each week and he couldn't even cough up that amount so he put on a demolition show between his pickup and the fire truck? I think someone pulled him out of his truck and the PoPo hauled his sorry butt away.Was it Gamblers ? The track that used to be Hidden Valley 20 some years ago and was on the same road as Clearfield Speedway ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    Which track was it in central PA that the promoter went berky because the fire department started to leave the track because the promoter was to pay them some piddly amount like $50.00 each week and he couldn't even cough up that amount so he put on a demolition show between his pickup and the fire truck? I think someone pulled him out of his truck and the PoPo hauled his sorry butt away.Was it Gamblers ? The track that used to be Hidden Valley 20 some years ago and was on the same road as Clearfield Speedway ?
    You sir are correct........

It is just UNBELIEVABLE that any track would not have a fire department on site after what happened this spring at Southern Ohio Speedway. And at Southern Ohio, they actually did have a fire department on site but supposedly the pump on the fire truck malfunctioned. No excuse for not having a fire truck with trained fireman. Many tracks have their fire companies selling 50/50 to benefit them to get them to come.

All the racers know the risks when they strap in the cars. It is up to them and their car builders to build the safest car possible. That is what should be expected of them. But it is also up to the tracks do whatever they can to assure safety. Having a fire truck and ambulance on site with trained personnel is what should be expected of the tracks.

In the Southern Ohio incident, the track did what they should have done and it was a tragic chain of events. In this Swainsboro case, the track did not and there should be some liability on their part.

If you go to a racetrack and they don't have a fire truck with FOAM on board, turn around and leave! Foam is the only thing that will put out a race fuel fire. ALL tracks should have trained firefighters and medical(paramedics, emt's) at the track ready to go in a seconds notice. Take it from a retired firefighter who was at Paducah many years ago when Jim Dunn lost his life. Drivers, inspect the fire equipment at the track BEFORE the races and never depend on someone's word that adequate equipment is on site. Racing is an inherently a very dangerous sport, but some risks like fire can be reduced substantially just by the track and drivers taking the necessary precautions beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    I read someplace the bigger 75 lb bottles do a better job than a bunch of small ones .... I guess the full volume of a Bigger extinguisher doesnt give the fire a chance to breath ... Smothering it all at once im guessing ....
    Its a Gas Fire ,... You should use whats best for a Gas Fire...3 kinds of Fire Ex.. 1 wet .. 2 one that remove the air... and 3 Foam...you can get all 3 in 50 and 75 pound bottles..
    1 wet is not good for gas fires
    2 will work but on a big fire if you dont get it out be for the tank runs out it spreads Plus you have too be close to the Fire..
    3 foam covers the gas once the gas is covered the fire can not spread back too that part that coverd and be part of the fire...
    Cover the Fire with Foam and finch it off with 2s
    With Foam you can get back packs that will shoot the foam 35 feet.. So even on a big fire its the only one you can keep using it to fight the Fire...
    I learned this at a air force base that gave Fire fighting Classes.. Did a class on how, and what too use, On what kind of fire it is...

Cold Fyre eco-friendly, biodegradable, easy to clean up and will put out a race fuel fire. FOAM!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bayou tuff View Post
    Cold Fyre eco-friendly, biodegradable, easy to clean up and will put out a race fuel fire. FOAM!!!!
    Can say it enuff Foam Foam Foam.. No only the Best ...But the only way too fight a Gas fire...

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the..._fire?#slide=1
    Google What the best way to put out a Gas fire.. Click above
    Add
    90 % of all fire EX at race tracks are co2.. If you see a fog from them its a co2 ..They need too replace them with FOAM ones...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-06-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: need too add

We utilize Purple K in all of our extinguishers. We have 2 10# for each 4 wheeler. Purple K and Cold Fyre are both good for fuel fires.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    We utilize Purple K in all of our extinguishers. We have 2 10# for each 4 wheeler. Purple K and Cold Fyre are both good for fuel fires.
    Its good too know you care about your drivers.. You should let them know that you are set up to save them and they need to ask the other tracks they race at if they do...It still would not hurt too have small Form truck on hand...

Good job Flagone!! maybe announce this at the Drivers meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Kelly, since you're the director of a series, would it be a good or bad idea to require each team to carry a fire extinguisher on their pit cart/four wheeler? I really don't see how it could hurt!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

At dixie speedway. They have a some full time fighters that work at the track and I think two of them stay in the pants and boots and if something happens they can put on there jackets and gear A lot of times there's a full size truck that's has on duty firefighters at the truck. They park by the outside pit gate and stand on top and watch the races. They also have an old ambulance outfitted with rescue stuff and extinguishers.

I think having an extinguisher on all the pit carts or 4-wheelers is a great idea. As long as its an ABC or one of those I mentioned. H2O and CO2 extinguisher are fairly useless for fuel fires. In fact H2O only serves to make the fire bigger in area.

Bayou we have been carrying Purple K for probably 5 years now. I was once a firefighter and I am still to this day a paramedic so I had a little edge on some as far as knowledge of what to have.

I was asked just yesterday to be involved in a seminar regarding track safety and I plan to participate.

Here is a link to purchase a Purple K ext. (we have the $77 one) https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_2abhb6ry8n_b
    Last edited by flagone; 09-06-2016 at 03:55 PM.

When The Rantoul air force base was still open .. My Bro. in Law was Head of Supply for the hole base .. It was the numb. 1 for fire fight in the world for training for Fire .. He got me on base too see them put out a Big fire like on a B 1 bomber Big a$$ Thing .. them foam trucks hit it when the Hole thing was on Fire .. Plane COOL it was 48 sec the fire was out...Foam on a Gas fire... Only way too go...
    add
    I should all so add that they used Big A$$ trucks.. but it still works the same...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-06-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Had too Add