Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grt or rocket?

Default Grt or rocket?

I'm new to late model racing. Have raced street stocks for quite a few years and we decided to move up this year. We bought an 06 grt with 2010 front updates from a local guy. Have seen car win with different drivers. Always ran up front. Then we also traded our street stock to a guy for an 04 black front rocket. Car came from a different state so I've never seen it run. Both cars are straight and in nice shape. My question is which car would be better to start out in and learn on? We are running a steel block class.

Well I would tend to recommend the GRT over the Black/Rocket. The only reason I say that is the Rocket/Black is the oldest design of their front ends and is better suited for racing "Hung Out". You didn't mention if it had been updated or not so to run the newer setups you'd need to have the cross member raised to make it work. If your running a small stop and go track(1/4) with an "open" engine you might could make a go of it with the Rocket the way it is, but I still think the GRT is your best option, especially if this is gonna be a crate or limited.

The rocket has the lr underslung update.

06 Grt was one of the best cars ever built. Car will drive itself.

had a 05 and a 06 grt loved the 05 , 06 was just average, depends on design 05 [ overrail ] with true x in center was great my 06 had a offset x like a rocket , also like the gray spindle over the black design

This is an 06 over rail with black spindles

Everyone in my area is much more partial to rockets. Not many grts around. A lot of people are telling me to go with the rocket. Except for these 3 replies. I'm just wondering which car is easier to adjust on? Which would be easier to learn on. I would probably be able to get more help on the rocket at my local track. How is rocket to call and ask for info? I've read that grt can be difficult to deal with?

I will say this always preferred to talk to a driver at grt then joe. ,whats the chassis number

Chassis #2703

grts are tough they take a beating, mine always responded to adjustment nicely , bumpers and body braces all bolt on for repairs, can help ya with setups if needed

Thanks I appreciate it.

is it a straight x or offset

Not sure. What's the difference?

not shur if it makes a difference, liked the car with the straight x and not so much the one with out there are other things different , pm me ill give ya my 2 cents

Pm is sent

I've been reading that in 04 rocket changed the black fronts to a raised rail car. What does that mean? I'm also reading that they are raising the crossmember as an update. Is that what a raised rail car is?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowj38 View Post
    I've been reading that in 04 rocket changed the black fronts to a raised rail car. What does that mean? I'm also reading that they are raising the crossmember as an update. Is that what a raised rail car is?
    In 04, raised rail would refer to a higher right side frame rail. Raised cross members are for the soft rf setups and didn't come about until 2010 or later for pretty much all brands.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Thanks for the info mastersbilt.

Straight x the cross bracing runs in line with each other the offset the cross brace from the RF to the LR is offset

If it's straight and a floating x one of the best cars out there for the limited/crate division very responsive to bar changes and once you get it dialed in like another poster said the car will almost drive itself