Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up UMP / HOOSIER Tire Issues. Racers / Promoters Why 20's instead of 40's?

So Slick Sammy Driggers and his partner kin crime Brian Carter are Now convinced that 20's on the LR and RF will work at every track. Eldora had unusual weather and is a far different track than others. In addition, I will say there were more tires sold at Eldora than any other previous year. This benefits UMP and the Purple Mofia (Hoosier) only.

Yes it worked at Eldora but that is a unique track and work for them but it doesn't mean it will work at the tracks you race at on a weekly basis.

So here are the only questions I pose for our local racers, race promoters, and specifically to Hoosier and UMP:

1) Why 20's? Why not go all 40's? Other racing sanctions are going harder on tires, Why go soft? (More money for UMP and Hoosier is not an expectable answer!)

2) Drivers Would 20's last on the RF and LR during the summer months at your tracks?

3) Same question for Promoters?

4) Why would a rae track / promoter support or allow these rules when they know is cost the racers more? Would a racer go to another track that supports a hard tire rule?

5) Why not go all 40's instead of a 20/40 combination? A 20/40 combination will not always work at your track.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Copied off the STL RACING forum but also added a question and a couple of remarks.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 09-18-2016 at 12:26 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Really Ruhlman bought 4 tires for the whole weekend the summer nats ran on that coMbo also the lucas race this weekend was basically on that tire rule also , the drivers loved it

Figures he would be the first one to reply to this. Starting to think he`s Sam himself. Unfortunatly, to me anyway, that's all it comes done to is more money in everybody pockets but the race teams. They are doing the same thing on the modified side of things also. Also Ruhlman is a tire dealer. So the buying 4 tires thing is laughable

I know a local driver from our area that used 5

Why dumb rules cause dumb people run it......Its all ways the same people that run it . Dont think like the people that use it...Or people that watch it...Problem is the people that run it OWN it....Why only 1 tire company they pay a bribe and thats all you can get then....
    When NALMS ran they had 2 tires and the racing was Great . The last year that they ran 2 tires Comp. they had 2 drivers not on the same tire make running 1st and 2nd.. and Danville was packed they were at the top of the heap .. The next year they went to 1 tire and they were gone in 3 years....Lots of the cars that ran the tire they dropped..had to paid more for there hoosier (get even for not using there tires) and just stopped racing with them .. Poof they died.... Some of the Best racing I seen was when NALMS ran 2 makes of tires...

Why not run 70's then

so the purple people would be stupid to want to run 40s wouldn't sell as many and if they think this is so great then why not quit making any thing but 20s and 40s ? that way every track in America could run that same rule !!

A lot of what ive heard over the years is harder tires= more legal prep needed and more benefit gained by using illegal treatments than whats gained with a soft tire. Also, with a softer tire, tire wear and tire management become a bigger factor through out the course of a 100 lap race.
    But in my opinion, a tire rule that is good for 100 lap race or a "top of the food chain" type series usually isnt the answer for weekly racing, but a lot has to do with the individual tracks size and surface.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    Well the real reason is when they dropped American Racer a lot of drivers stop racing with them and it killed them..6 or 7 of the top cars Went and raced some were else...Ask the 47 Steve Hilliard He was so Mad that they dropped AR tires....

I think there may be a few tracks where it might not work well but for most it could. I had the same feelings as the OP before Eldora, and was pretty blown away at how well the tires held up the whole weekend. I think a 20/40 option would be a good idea just in case you needed it for rf/lr, but you will need a very abrasive track to get any heat into a rf 40 that is not cut or siped.

Same thing they did for the UMP modified class. They had a test session after the UMP nationals for the A40s tire in 2014 and they seemed fine on all corners. (probably cool weather)made them mandatory by a certain date in 2015, and no more A40 compound.

fast forward a couple months at beginning of 2015 and in the Midwest they tires are being burnt up and peeling off after a 8 lap heat race. especially on the RR.
    So they did not take away the A40 compound and allowed it until July 1 2016

Now for 2016 they must have changed the chemical compound of it a bit, but I still will not run one on the RR. Burns them up too fast on higher speed tracks. Eldora is High Speed, but is not abrasive, other regions of the US the dirt is way more abrasive, and the A40S mod tires eats itself alive, unless you know what to do to it to prep it.

gotta love how they are mandating the LM tire.... More money in UMP's pocket.

Why not go with a D21/55 rule?
    tires are cheaper...
    oh wait a minute, if you are a big team and want a D21 compound in a LM20 casing....Hoosier will do it if you, order enough of them. (hence I believe is what happened with the big Eldora tire lawsuit)
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Why do they make ALL them tires, if no one can use 1/2 of them .Can someone tell me why...

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post

gotta love how they are mandating the LM tire.... More money in UMP's pocket
    At one time American Racer said they pay in too the Point fund even if the other tire com. got to sell there tires...
    Last edited by Cardirt0; 09-19-2016 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    Really Ruhlman bought 4 tires for the whole weekend the summer nats ran on that coMbo also the lucas race this weekend was basically on that tire rule also , the drivers loved it
    Not all drivers loved it. Eldora appreciated Ruhlmans donation.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Out of 108 drivers do really think all drivers would've loved it esp the ones that never ran that tire and who knows what the tire rule will be in the future

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Not all drivers loved it. Eldora appreciated Ruhlmans donation.
    The guy that finished 2nd ran the same tires thursday and friday. New ones on saturday. Better than having a trailer full of tires that are all doped just a little different.

An owner told me it takes 3 hours to prep one tire that could get a little time consuming

Sure, it's a money grab and the racers, track owners or promoters and the series are making it easy. The racers cheat. The tracks or promoters want that kick back and the series now has a tire cheating problem to cure. Convenient, I would say.

First off, It is easier and more effective to cheat a harder tire into a softer one. That will be the reason everyone gets stuck with the LM20. If they go with the no grooving, it sells tires faster, because when the edge goes away the tire is done. If they where really interested in saving the racer a little money, a rule that allowed re grooving on the same stock pattern. This would give enough edge for another race.

Most of the doping comes when too hard a tire is mandated and you have a edge with a softer one. The switching of casings comes when the mandated tire is too soft to really lean on. The later is easier to catch, because the tire make up is different. The soft tire mandate makes doping useless and the money rolls in thanks to the cheaters and thieves. You can fix anything for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Well the real reason is when they dropped American Racer a lot of drivers stop racing with them and it killed them..6 or 7 of the top cars Went and raced some were else...Ask the 47 Steve Hilliard He was so Mad that they dropped AR tires....
    why the need to carry more tires then needed