Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious

Default Curious

I'm curious if and how many if there were any major DLM races over 100 laps? Never heard of any over 100 but that would be interesting if it ever went down.

sante faye raceway in chicago had 150 and 200 lap late model races in the 70's...

Appreciate that highgroove. That's defiantly a war of attrition. Always wondered why they didn't have a major kickoff race like the NASCAR version of the Daytona 500. Prob be better for the end of the year because that would definitely do a number on the engine and rear end on the car. Be awesome to watch a 150-200 lapper for 100k payday

Florence had the ironman 200 for a few years, francis won the last one that was ran. Im not sure on the year when it stopped. If I had to guess, it was around early 00's or before.

I think winchester in Virginia still has their winchester 200. Not sure how the format works on it though, or what it pays. I know the ironman was 200 laps in one night for 25k I THINK is what it paid.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 09-19-2016 at 01:19 AM.

Z I would assume you would have 1 break for fuel and maybe tires? A 200 lapper at Eldora would be a sight to see

Hagerstown used to have the Hub City 150 which originally was a full 150 laps. The Winchester 200 used to be a full 200 laps. Motordrome Speedway in Smithton, Pa had the Motordrome 200 back when it was dirt.

I know Motordrome used to count caution laps, I think for the first 150 laps. I thought I heard Winchester used to do the same thing for the 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    I'm curious if and how many if there were any major DLM races over 100 laps? Never heard of any over 100 but that would be interesting if it ever went down.
    Macon speedway had several in the 70's. I'm not sure of the class because I was too young to know.

The Kevin Roderick Memorial was a 200 lapper.

Big Block mods run 300 laps this year at Oswego Speedway, Oswego NY. Was 200 at the fairgrounds mile track but they are on a little bit smaller track now. In fact, I think it's coming up in a few weeks.
    http://www.superdirtweekonline.com/i...-week-sponsors
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 09-19-2016 at 05:00 AM.

Thumbs up

Santa Fe Speedway
    Hinsdale, Illinois (Southwest side of Chicago) 93rd & Wolf Road
    National Clay Track Championship 200 - 200 Lap Super Late Model race
    the race ran from the mid 50's thru 1995 when the track closed

Billy Moyer won the race in 1991.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Quote Originally Posted by centeroff View Post
    z i would assume you would have 1 break for fuel and maybe tires? A 200 lapper at eldora would be a sight to see
    they use to have back in the day 500 lap sprint/ modified show

as I remember, moran won one of the iron man races at Florence. everyone stopped for gas and he went all 200 laps on one tank. surprised everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Big Block mods run 300 laps this year at Oswego Speedway, Oswego NY. Was 200 at the fairgrounds mile track but they are on a little bit smaller track now. In fact, I think it's coming up in a few weeks.
    http://www.superdirtweekonline.com/i...-week-sponsors

Thats going to be interesting how that race plays out.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by lokwaidid View Post
    as I remember, moran won one of the iron man races at Florence. everyone stopped for gas and he went all 200 laps on one tank. surprised everyone.
    The Ironman always had a 100 lap fuel stop though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Thats going to be interesting how that race plays out.
    I don't know they are doing it now but on the mile track they did NASCAR style pit stops

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    I don't know they are doing it now but on the mile track they did NASCAR style pit stops
    Everybody knew syr was the moody mile and could bite u in a second. Everyone will start fresh at oswego. Im going to say they will still mandate a pit stop.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Back in the 60s 70s IMCA late models and USAC LM had some long races with pit stops. They did race dirt and pavement on the same series along with NASCAR. There was no room for specialized racers then. You run a 500 mile dirt race one day and Pavement the next week. That was the Big Time of dirt racing for them days. No WOO or Lucas type racing.

Oh they'll to pit for sure especially for fuel but I was just saying they did NASCAR style stops. I think it was last year's race or the year before there was a brutal hole coming out of 4 that caused some wrecks and broke some suspensions. You either went high or low. If you couldn't you were f!cked

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Back in the 60s 70s IMCA late models and USAC LM had some long races with pit stops. They did race dirt and pavement on the same series along with NASCAR. There was no room for specialized racers then. You run a 500 mile dirt race one day and Pavement the next week. That was the Big Time of dirt racing for them days. No WOO or Lucas type racing.
    Some guys up here ran dirt Friday pavement Saturday and dirt Sunday back in the day with the same cars. Or any other combination. Just depended on the schedules.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 09-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.

It was just a 100 lapper, But I remember watching it on TV, The 100 Hav-a Tampa series at Bristol! They let them stop at midway and make ajustments and refuel, McDowell won it I think!