Thread: aero tunnel

Default aero tunnel

Rules at my track are very open. I am considering building a tunnel from heavy plastic that runs up the middle of the bumper under the nose, all the way back along the main hoop back to the firewall. My thought is that this will force air over the engine to aid in cooling first. I was going to close off the the right front fender underneath as well. My thought is that the combination of these would help to generate a low pressure area under the nose and especially the right front so that the increased difference between high and low pressures in these areas would aid in generating more downforce. Is this the correct thinking, and perhaps an easy way to help generate some additional aero in addition to cooling?

What do you mean by, "closing off the RF fender underneath"? Do you mean putting a bottom/floor in the nose on the RF? If so you'll get the opposite effect, right now with it open, it is "Low Pressure", but if you could vent the top of the fender some way, that would let more pressure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    What do you mean by, "closing off the RF fender underneath"? Do you mean putting a bottom/floor in the nose on the RF? If so you'll get the opposite effect, right now with it open, it is "Low Pressure", but if you could vent the top of the fender some way, that would let more pressure out.
    The air across the tops of the fenders doesn't want to stay attached, thus difficult to alter the front downforce very easy. I know guys during windtunnel testing that tried keeping the air attached by adding louvers to the tops of the fenders in an attempt to eliminate this or help create low pressure under the front of the car: IT FAILED!

Not saying it can't be done, but it will require more work then simply adding vents to the top of the fenders at least with a non full bodied car like a LM.

what if you added vents to anywhere else on the nose to relieve pressure? was just thinking of this the other day... but not enough knowledge of it

Need vortex generators in a row right in front of the breather...but completely illegal.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Need vortex generators in a row right in front of the breather...but completely illegal.
    Sound very cool though. Now your really thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    it is??????

I read almost every sanctions rules searching that about 5 years ago and found nothing at that time, but I figured if you installed some it would be the next race before rules were added if you where fast enough to matter, lol.

Not that I think where they are doing much with the way the roof is shaped and how the cars aren't enclosed behind the roof, but a couple of the roofs have them at the back edge of them. So they do allow them in some form or like everything else they just don't tech or enforce rules as usual.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 09-23-2016 at 03:26 PM.

I had an inverted airfoil under my roof for years at my local track. Don't know if it did any good, but it amused me to no end

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    The air across the tops of the fenders doesn't want to stay attached, thus difficult to alter the front downforce very easy. I know guys during windtunnel testing that tried keeping the air attached by adding louvers to the tops of the fenders in an attempt to eliminate this or help create low pressure under the front of the car: IT FAILED!

Not saying it can't be done, but it will require more work then simply adding vents to the top of the fenders at least with a non full bodied car like a LM.
    Could it be then that under the car is already extreme low pressure, due to the sealing off of the nose and the open tail? So maybe there is more to be had on top of the body, than evacuating air underneath.