Thread: Rocket J bar

Default Rocket J bar

Rockets set up book calls for the pinion side of the J bar to be set 5/8" below the pinion for every chassis they have.
    I have mine even with the pinion (07 blk front). Have others found that these chassis work better with the pinion side raised or do most stick with rockets recommendations and set it below the pinion?
    If your not racing on dirt it's your on asphalt!

Just all depends on ur setup if u are too tight pull it up on the pinion lower it if u need more side bite into the corner

Real noticable adjustment

I've been running it even with the pinion on a tight stop and go like track but I lack the side bit I'd like to have off the corner. Right now I've been running a 450LF 375RF a 200RR and a 175LR. frame side of j bar is at 8 3/4. 55% rear 54%left. I'm going to try a 325 RF this weekend and trail the RR some and see how it does.
    If your not racing on dirt it's your on asphalt!

I have an older Rocket (was black front end, now it's "custom". I generally run 1/2" below the pinion for my standard, when it gets slick I'll drop it all the way down (about 1" below pinion), rarely will I run it even with the pinion unless it's really rough or very muddy.
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

What's the negative effects of lowering the j-bar? How do you know you went too far?

Quote Originally Posted by lrnvlFan1w View Post
    What's the negative effects of lowering the j-bar? How do you know you went too far?
    You may get too tight. You may make the car "teeter" or introduce other negative behaviors.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

We've found too far it lifts the rr of car and u loads rr. Or chain it. We found making roll enter end up dynamically at rr tire worked best.

So if I lower the J bar it gives the LR tire more drive? Usually when you make a change it does good things for x but does bad things for y.

So if I lower the j bar and get more LR drive but don't go too far that I unload the rr tire whats the other things I would notice, would it impact corner entry?

So if I lower the J bar it gives the LR tire more drive? Usually when you make a change it does good things for x but does bad things for y.

So if I lower the j bar and get more LR drive but don't go too far that I unload the rr tire whats the other things I would notice, would it impact corner entry?
    You won't give the car more LR loading. Actually, less
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

So if I lower the J bar it gives the LR tire more drive? Usually when you make a change it does good things for x but does bad things for y. So if I lower the j bar and get more LR drive but don't go too far that I unload the rr tire whats the other things I would notice, would it impact corner entry?
    Lowering @ the frame will loosen entry, and the car overall, most noticeable entry thru mid corner. Less angle also decreases axle displacement toward left with body roll, that plus delayed and possibly decreased body roll will all tend to loosen handling. You want enough angle to stick(scotch) the RR on entry to allow the left rear to roll up.

So basically I should lower the j bar to help control body roll on a low traction surface to help keep from giving the RR too much drive? But I will loose side bite?

Sorry been around the sport for a long time but never really interested in setups until more recently.

Are there any articles our there that can help explain this more to me?