Thread: Gustin

Default Gustin

Ryan Gustin is out of the Gressel Racing 19r according to his father Rick. Pretty shocking news the other day as they've been together for over 6 years. I've heard a few rumors as to why but won't speculate as I have no facts.

Interesting. Ricky Thornton stepping into a great ride it looks like.

Wow, wonder what the problem was. Gustin just won 40 grand in the big modified race.

That would be a big loss for him, not too many rides like that out there. He has a young family so maybe it was just the right family move, afterall racing is great but family is what is important.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMatt View Post
    That would be a big loss for him, not too many rides like that out there. He has a young family so maybe it was just the right family move, afterall racing is great but family is what is important.
    Is he just getting out late model? He is a hell of mod racer, it would be a shame take him out of a mod.

He is not with Gressel anymore, mod or LM. Ricky Thornton ran the mod at Deer Creek this weekend but as of now I believe that's a race by race deal. I recall when Ryan was dominating the USMTS and they started dabbling in the LM deal Ed wasn't too thrilled with the idea, but his stance may have changed by now. Wouldn't surprise me to see them cut back to strictly mod racing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    He is not with Gressel anymore, mod or LM. Ricky Thornton ran the mod at Deer Creek this weekend but as of now I believe that's a race by race deal. I recall when Ryan was dominating the USMTS and they started dabbling in the LM deal Ed wasn't too thrilled with the idea, but his stance may have changed by now. Wouldn't surprise me to see them cut back to strictly mod racing again.
    I do know for the past 6 years Ryan has commuted from Marshalltown Iowa to the Gressel shop outside Wichita KS regularly... so maybe that had something to do with it with Ryan now having a family

Blowing both motors at Knoxville probably didn't help anything. He's run a really sparatic schedule the last two or so years so if Ed really wanted to run USMTS I can see the split.

I hope him the best, heck of a wheel man.

No clue as to why the split, but everything I've ever been told is the the gressel's treated him as one of there own? Maybe it was mutual? Is it a dream scenario for most drivers ? Possibly... Sounds like it but dreams change thruout life.... like i said mabe it was mutual.

Yea, It's not like they are out there saying he didn't hold up his end or something. Like I said before, he's got young kids and a wife at home. Maybe he will be going to Karl Performance to help with the Moyer deal. They were advertising a technical position he may be able to fill, of course between his brothers and sister there are plenty of cars so I am sure he will be behind the wheel again.

Looks like Whitwell is taking the seat, from the RacinDirt story that released a few mins ago. I thought one quote RC made was interesting in there, "I have no outside obligations or distractions, I'm 100% focused on racing." That pretty much tells the story why there was a split. Best of luck to Gustin, I really enjoyed watching him run.

Very interesting link to article: http://racindirt.com/news/article.asp?NewsID=4747

In the top picture of that article, I can't help but notice the primitive seat and no visible head/neck restraint.

Actually, it looks like there may be the leg of a Hans peeking out under that left chest belt, if so, my bad.

Anyone know anything about what gustin going to be driving now his own or what
    I am what I am

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    In the top picture of that article, I can't help but notice the primitive seat and no visible head/neck restraint.

Actually, it looks like there may be the leg of a Hans peeking out under that left chest belt, if so, my bad.
    I can't help but notice the window net.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Looks a little thin eh?

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Looks a little thin eh?
    It doesn't look real robust. The Hans bit, I am not on that bandwagon. Cup cars are much faster and don't fold up. Those drivers need them. In DLM, I am not so sure guys don't end up concussed when their neck would have held up just fine. I don't know of any basal skull fracture deaths in a DLM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2