Thread: Fuel

Default Fuel

what have you been running for fuel?

what are the pro's and con's to it?

just trying to spark some good conversation that may help everyone compete a bit better in the future

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Ran the Sunoco 110 this year after years on Rat Man. Hendren changed a few things in my carb and I had zero issues all year contrary to all the doom and gloom that was predicted. I couldn't tell the difference from the seat.

Actually won 4 features and multiple heat races. This after only winning 1 feature in a crate late prior to this year.

Congratulations on a great season Racer63

when the Sunoco fuels are mandated the 110 is our choice as well and we had very little issue with it
    by the numbers the 91 worried me enough that we did not recommend it for use----I think in cool weather conditions that we will have from here on out the 91 may be fine but hot weather racing --I am all about the 110

has anyone tried the Sunoco EXO2 ???---the specs on that are very interesting and should produce power but I am just not sure how the drivability will be---it's not legal in all series but wherever CHP and ratman are legal it should fall inline as well

Brad
    www.race-1.com

On a 602 Crate in a B-mod, which would you prefer?
    Sunoco 110
    Sunoco 100
    Mix of Sunoco 110 and 91 pump gas
    We've been running the mix to get safer octane than plain pump gas, but I read a lot about that being a bad idea due to inconsistency with the pump gas. Straight 110 seems like too much octane for a 602. The 100 seems like the best choice, but it costs exactly the same as the 110, so we've been mixing the 110. With these choices, which would produce the best power?

I personally am not a fan of any fuel that has been put into underground storage tanks (pump gas) but a careful mix of 110 and "GOOD" pump gas is a pretty good combination ---providing you are consistent in your mix and have properly calibrated your carb

now lets define "good" pump gas
    it is nearly impossible to be sure if its good but some research and effort will usually get you in a good direction

1st find a quality name brand station (ie.Shell, BP, Exon, Sunoco etc.) that moves a high quantity of fuel
    best way to do that is question the truck drivers---and while your talking to them ask them if there are any water issues.

next ---put 5 to 10 gallons of fuel in your vehicle before filling the fuel jugs
    this flushes the blends of fuel from the line and gets you pulling directly from the premium tank

if the wallet can afford it I would run the 100 ---

Brad
    www.race-1.com

We run renegade e85

Currently we don't have any fuel rules other than no E85... So we use the CHP crate fuel.. so.. with that in mind, which be best to use: CHP, Rate man or Sunoco 110 or Sunoco 110/mix? This is for a 604 crate. I will say this.. during a dyno session, we dyno'd the CHP against the Sonoco 100 and CHP was 18 HP better.. Surprised me and really surprised the dyno man.. Opinions...

What about vp 113 vs chp

your numbers are very close to mine bmchone----there are some downsides to CHP but it is really hard to look past the power numbers

VP 113 and VP crate (same fuel) are off about 7 digits from CHP but the real difference is the acceleration rate

just like the power CHP makes it does have a good acceleration rate

it may sound like I am a CHP fan ---but I am exactly the opposite --I hate the stuff because of how nasty it is to be around and it is hard on the engine as well---storage is a real PIA also

when we take the time to tune the other fuels to the best of their capability --we get acceptable performance by comparison

that is our findings

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Brad we r goin to charlotte for their crate race on oct 20-22 so it will only be for that race would go with chp or vp113 with others running chp

with unpredictable and changing weather conditions its much easier to rely on CHP for good starts and best power.

still not a fan of the stuff but it does make life easier sometimes

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Why is the CHP harder on engine that any other fuel?

it is very dry----we constantly have exhaust valve guide issues with it
    also carburetor throttle shafts wear quicker and top ring land of the piston

the biggest problem is the valve guides

we recommend a lube be added to all fuels but especially CHP
    the thing is --if you go crazy with the lube it causes other issues so only use as directed

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Is there a specific fuel lube that you recommend for the CHP? thanks

I like driven (gibbs) carb defender
    but Klotz upper lube works well even marvel mystery oil is good and you can get that at wallmart

Brad
    www.race-1.com

For all around performance in a race engine with 11:1 or higher compression, it's hard to beat a top quality 110. The Renegade Pro 110 has the highest Motor Octane numbers. For Crate engines, the Renegade Rat Man Crate Elite is the best choice.
    For engines that use only pump gas, stick with Shell and use their highest rated gasoline.

I used VP113 earlier this year and had it dynoed on Hendren's chassis dyno and was pretty impressed with the amount of power it made... but it's quite expensive.

For this coming year, I'm looking to switch fuels as I want to run something that will be legal to run the NeSmith and UCRA series and that really limits a lot of choices. I could always switch over to E85 but I've had good luck out of running race fuels so far. I have access to Base Racing Fuels in my area and I'm looking into that right now.