Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pennsboro

Default pennsboro

Stopped by the pennsboro speedway yesterday evening and saw four pieces of equipment working on the hill and back stretch. Also working on the mini wedge track. Saw a huge roller packing the track. Looks like they've got guardrail posts and chain link fence stored on the property and more concrete barriers also. Long ways to go but kind of nice to see work going on there. Getting my hopes up for some racing there someday.

After seeing some work being done on the speedway property I got curious and called an old friend of mine from Pennsboro and asked him for some information about what they have in mind for the future. He said they have a permit from the state to move a large amount of dirt for bleacher and hillside seating. He also said they have 20 some acres of land available to them in the turn 4 area and are trying desperately to purchase more property on the hill so it can be developed into more camping and parking for the speedway and for other events at the fairgrounds. They are looking at around 50 acres and possibly more but can't buy some unless they can get property that joins the fairground property first. He said it would be awesome if that would happen. For now they will do as much as possible with what they have. I just wanted to pass this along as I for one am getting exited about this whole deal. Keep it up guys. Hope you get lots of support!

Stopped by the old gal Tuesday when out for a Harley ride. Surprised with the visible change since my visit last fall. Best of luck to all those involved. Later made it to St. Marys to look at the old high school where Tyler Co. bought the lights and Pennsboro bought the bleachers from their football field. School was gone except for the last remnants of demo being hauled away. Two surprises in one day.

Little bit at a time. They will get there. Some good people involved with it.

I just recently found out that some of the land the Pennsboro board is trying to buy belongs to Carl Short. They have talked to Carl and hopefully sometime in the future maybe they can purchase the property. For now they are looking at other options. I believe these guys are serious about bringing racing back to Pennsboro and making it a much better place to camp and race. The reason I think this is because they are not just throwing this together just to race again soon but are looking at the long term and going about rebuilding to make it the best they can and that includes, bleacher and lawn chair seating, new restrooms, concession stands, shower rooms, ticket booths, judges stand, more parking for cars and camping. Maybe widening the bridges someday also. They have been very close to major sponsorship and are working on that daily. In the mean time they will continue to keep moving forward and it shows. I have volunteered to help promote this project as an avid fan in what these folks are doing and I believe in them. This deal started back in 2010 when they stopped the sale of the property which took three years and work didn't really start until 2014 after all the legal stuff was taken care of to make sure the fairgrounds and speedway will always be there for those who are interested in keeping it alive. I have no ties with anyone of these folks, just doing a little to help out. I do have a contact person who keeps me informed on whats going on and he is not one of the board of directors. Just one of the volunteers. I am hoping to get a few more people to help these fine folks out. Just remember, like it or not these folks are doing what they believe in and I am on board with them.
    Last edited by local-dirt-fan; 10-18-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Just an update on the progress at the Pennsboro speedway. Working on the back stretch culvert. Also working on hillside, the creek and mini wedge track. Some more chain link fence, guardrail posts and light poles have arrived at the speedway. Looking for more concrete barriers. Need lots of them. They are very interested in a concrete wall around the outside of the race track. Working with a couple of companies to see what kind of deal they can come up with for next spring. Pictures of progress are posted from time to time on facebook.

Thanks local dirt fan. We are thankful for all the help we get.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Steve Davis View Post
    Thanks local dirt fan. We are thankful for all the help we get.
    You are welcome J. Steve Davis. The place is coming along. I sent some folks last week over to the speedway to look the place over and take some pictures. Can't say what they have in mind but they are very interested in whats going on at the speedway. Thanks to all the volunteers who are helping make this happen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvxo...&feature=share

looks like a long road ahead. hope it happens some day.
    8/13/16

looks to me like it would benefit from a bit of a widening. especially turn 3/4
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    Stopped by the old gal Tuesday when out for a Harley ride. Surprised with the visible change since my visit last fall. Best of luck to all those involved. Later made it to St. Marys to look at the old high school where Tyler Co. bought the lights and Pennsboro bought the bleachers from their football field. School was gone except for the last remnants of demo being hauled away. Two surprises in one day.
    St Mary's, as in the Mothman movie and all that?
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    looks to me like it would benefit from a bit of a widening. especially turn 3/4
    Yes it's very narrow there because of the bridge and creek. With permits you could do it. With everything being precast these days, wouldn't be horrible to do.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

So these repairs have been going on for how long now? Any chance they might be done some year?

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    St Mary's, as in the Mothman movie and all that?
    That would be Point Pleasant where the bridge collapsed into the Ohio River about 50 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by bleedblue55 View Post
    That would be Point Pleasant where the bridge collapsed into the Ohio River about 50 years ago
    Yeah I knew that, but I thought for some reason the bridge was called St Mary's. Never mind, thanks for the info. Wasn't an awful movie, not the greatest, but not awful. Not sure what's truth and what isn't, but was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by local-dirt-fan View Post
    After seeing some work being done on the speedway property I got curious and called an old friend of mine from Pennsboro and asked him for some information about what they have in mind for the future. He said they have a permit from the state to move a large amount of dirt for bleacher and hillside seating. He also said they have 20 some acres of land available to them in the turn 4 area and are trying desperately to purchase more property on the hill so it can be developed into more camping and parking for the speedway and for other events at the fairgrounds. They are looking at around 50 acres and possibly more but can't buy some unless they can get property that joins the fairground property first. He said it would be awesome if that would happen. For now they will do as much as possible with what they have. I just wanted to pass this along as I for one am getting exited about this whole deal. Keep it up guys. Hope you get lots of support!
    LOL ! One of our fondest memories of being in the infield was watching the pure traditional Hillbilly and his family bring a shovel and dig out a flat spot on the hillsides and then they would sit there and drink [yes this is true and one of my best friends had this on old VHS video] moonshine poured out of a clear glass gallon jug into quart jars. Also while the family and purist fans sat in the few old bleachers on the front stretch cheering for fast times, heat race winners, and passes on the naturally daytime one lane track the BILLYS got up, screamed, and hollered [in the HOLLER] every time there was a crash ! There were many crashes there at the old horse track. The people that were dug out on the high hills would be falling down and rolling down the bank as the race wore on.

It's looks like the fair board will not be buying the property that's back behind the speedway but after having the fairground property surveyed the guys believe there is plenty of land above the seating area to work with. Depending on how far up and out around the hill the guys want to go there should be room for parking for hundreds more cars. They do have access to another 25 acres to use sometime in the future. A new road will be made for easy access to the new parking and seating areas.The hill when finished will look nothing like it does now. A lot of dirt will be moved off the hill. Some will go towards filling the hollow between the 4th turn and the front stretch allowing for lots more seating. Some will be hauled to different places where needed around the speedway and property. Just thought I would update everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvxo...&feature=share

looks like a long road ahead. hope it happens some day.
    Thanks for posting that. I must say, I didn't expect to see that much goin' on there regardless of the pace. That's pretty friggin' awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by local-dirt-fan View Post
    I just recently found out that some of the land the Pennsboro board is trying to buy belongs to Carl Short. They have talked to Carl and hopefully sometime in the future maybe they can purchase the property

I'll attempt to be the optimist and lean towards if Pennsboro solidifies a completion date and all its ducks are in a row, perhaps Carl will do the right thing and donate the land or do one of those $1 a year lease deals. You would think as good as Pennsboro (and dirt racing in general) was to Carl, a giveback might be in his heart somewhere.

Do you know what parcel of land he owns in relation to the track layout?

Thanks for the updates.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

With Frank Wilson being involved and all the crap he's stirred with Carl does anyone think Carl is going to be much help?

Quote Originally Posted by non driving fool View Post
    With Frank Wilson being involved and all the crap he's stirred with Carl does anyone think Carl is going to be much help?
    He's no longer involved. He was for a short period of time I believe.