Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bub Mccool

Default Bub Mccool

Was the car Bub was in last night the same ride he was in all year? Know he didn't run much over the summer.

He was driving Tommy Surretts back up car. It's a black diamond car I believe, not sure if it's the same one he drove earlier this year though. I heard Bub and his co-owner had a falling out is why he disappeared earlier in the year.

Just a tidbit of info. The car he is driving is a car Bub had. Also the man he was driving for is here calling the shots for Bub. I know because I saved them a spot and they are parked beside us.

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    Just a tidbit of info. The car he is driving is a car Bub had. Also the man he was driving for is here calling the shots for Bub. I know because I saved them a spot and they are parked beside us.

I like ol Bub slm he is wide open and not scared to mix it up out there on the track and he interacts well with the fans from what ive seen of him..
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Very true Nasty. So many people came by his pit it would make your head spin. He is a heck of a guy and he1l of a wheelman. He had a flat in his heat last night and had to run a bmain tonight. He got it done though. He was the last car locked in.

Never forget when he lost his mind after he came from the back to win in I believe Mississippi. He was hot under the collar lol

Quote Originally Posted by Centeroff View Post
    Never forget when he lost his mind after he came from the back to win in I believe Mississippi. He was hot under the collar lol
    I remember the interview he was hot but for good reason. I'm pretty sure it showed him and track owner or race director arguing. Thinking it was at Greenville but not sure.

What's not to love about Bub?

Bout as fun as it gets.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

What caused him to go off? Kept saying not even the man who ran the track wanted him to win.. Like to know what was behind all that because the Mohawk man snapped lol

At least this guy has some personality!... lot better than hearing "thanks to Penske for the shocks, High $$$ Engines for the over-priced bullet under the hood and my rich uncle for that last $40,000 he gave me...."

I just may be a new fan.... and his mohawk matches my girlfriends except his is on his head...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Krooser you got it all wrong my man. When you hear just say, Scott thank Andy Durham that's not for an overpriced engine because Scott either got that engine really cheap or more than likely in his case it was probably free. I know the Penske shocks are free also. You have to show appreciation to your sponsors because without those sponsors Bloomquist wouldn't be racing. I have nothing against mccool but he is a little rough around the edges. When you race for a living that makes you a professional, therefore you have to act like it. If Scott would have acted that way after a win his main sponsor in Mike Reese would probably pull his sponsorship. As a driver, you represent every single name on that racecar and you have to act accordingly. Bub has a job and races for a hobby so he can act however he wants. When your a professional and have major sponsors you have to act professional on and off the track. Sponsors will fire you in a heartbeat if you screw up. Well there is everyone's public relations lesson for the day lol. Just felt I would clear all that thank this one and that one BS up for you

Default Bub

He went off because Chad Thrash is the son I believe of the guy who does or did own/promote Greenville. And they made some questionable calls against Bub and as you can see, he was pi$$ed.

I'm all good with it, more power to him.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by centeroff View Post
    krooser you got it all wrong my man. When you hear just say, scott thank andy durham that's not for an overpriced engine because scott either got that engine really cheap or more than likely in his case it was probably free. I know the penske shocks are free also. You have to show appreciation to your sponsors because without those sponsors bloomquist wouldn't be racing. I have nothing against mccool but he is a little rough around the edges. When you race for a living that makes you a professional, therefore you have to act like it. If scott would have acted that way after a win his main sponsor in mike reese would probably pull his sponsorship. As a driver, you represent every single name on that racecar and you have to act accordingly. Bub has a job and races for a hobby so he can act however he wants. When your a professional and have major sponsors you have to act professional on and off the track. Sponsors will fire you in a heartbeat if you screw up. Well there is everyone's public relations lesson for the day lol. Just felt i would clear all that thank this one and that one bs up for you
    bub no lawsuit scott lawsuit that is a way a pro acts

Scott pays the same as anyone for his engines, he wants the best, not the cheapest. Think of all the races he has lost in the past due to engine failures. The engines Andy builds are phenomenal, both in power and reliability. They're worth paying for.

I can guarantee you one thing, Bloomer won't get much room racing against Bub. No love lost there

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    Lawsuits aren't only for sidewalk surfing faceplanters......sometimes they are even for legit disagreements.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Necrosis, I talked to a member of the zero crew tonight and he told me that Durham gives Scott one engine a year and an unnamed sponsor pays for the cost of parts and free labor for the rest. You gotta think that Durham is in the business of selling 50k engines. He has to sponsor the guy that wins because racing is monkey see monkey do. These guys see Scott running up front and they want the same power he has so they go and buy a Durham engine. I'm sure Richards is getting a heluva deal also on the Durham power. If you were getting started in the engine name it would be a good move to give Scott an engine deal because you are gonna sell a ton of engines because of it!

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    What does that make you then?
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Centeroff,

Believe me I know the sponsor thank you drill. I know how important the right words mean in victory lane or during a simple interview.

When I wore a business suit while in track management I negotiated a six figure advertising sponsorship deal for my track with a big Colorado beer company back in '84 only to have one of my track owners screw up the whole deal by inserting wild promises and impossible to meet attendance and sales figures into the final proposal. Three months of my hard work and a $20K commission down the sh*tter because my boss couldn't zip his lip and let me handle the contract signing. I can still smell the exhaust of the corporate jet headed back to Golden with a $100,000 check still in the VP of marketing's briefcase.

A few days later I got a call from the corporate beer guy apologizing for nixing the deal that we had spent so much time negotiating. He said it was a perfect match for his company until those last minute additions were made to the contract. He told me he'd lose his job if he signed his name partnering with someone he couldn't trust to hold up their wild claims and ideas.

Regarding McCool...all I was saying was in this day of wildly high team expenses, $50K motors, $500,000 transporters and precisely worded responses to the media it's refreshing to see a guy like McCool be able to let loose and give his opinion without first clearing it with corporate PR.

The first year Alan Kulwicki had the Hardee's ASA sponsorship his deal required him to make personal appearances at the local Hardee's store to sign autographs and do interviews with the local TV sports shows. Alan asked me to come along and show him the ropes the week before the Capital 300 at Oregon, WI.

Kulwicki was a real introvert... he really wasn't comfortable with crowds and really had to be pushed a bit to warm up to the fans especially the kids. He wasn't stuck up.... just wasn't wired to be the life of the party. We talked a lot about dealing with fans AND sponsors those two days. I told him keep his 'official' words to a minimum but to make small talk with the fans... find a common ground to base a quick friendship on... something like "Gee I had a #43 t shirt just like that when I was a kid" or something similar. He did very well.

After we were done with the Hardee's store visits and the camera's were put away he thanked me for my help. Honestly Alan had all that personality inside of him all the time... but he had an engineer's mind and those mechanical wheels upstairs never quit turning. He just needed a little 'push' to get him headed in the right direction.

The six years i spent doing advertising and PR for the tracks i worked for were what I would call my 'halcyon days'.... having a $100,000 advertising budget, a new Mustang ragtop for a company car and working with some of the finest driver's to ever don a Nomex suit (Earnhardt, Wallace, Martin, Allison, Bonnett, Trickle, Reffner and many others) made going to work everyday pretty easy.

The next several years of running my own joints and dealing with fair boards, p*ssed off neighbors, drought conditions, insurance agents and unreliable employees mellowed some of that enthusiasm. But the thrill of seeing 150 race cars drive into the pits and seeing the parking lot full of cars coming to see a race program that my team and I put together will always be one of the biggest thrills I've had a chance to enjoy in my lifetime.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019