Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brownstown

Quote Originally Posted by spas View Post
    Mahoney was leading by a half lap when caution came out. O'Neal took him out on restart to beat him
    Very ugly way to win. Feel really bad for Mahoney who blew the field away until that caution. He ran a flawless night of racing, set a new track record, 12.72 and just plain got ran over on the restart. Really pathetic.

I want to give the track prep a congratulations for the great surface, and no dust or rubber until into the features.

I was looking on Facebook trying to find pictures of the car to see what kind of damage the cage and halo had sustained, but couldn't find any. After all the concussion and injuries that have happend this season I'd really like to see pics of the damaged cars but nobody seems to ever post any on social media. Especially the longhorn cars. I only say this because maybe the right person will see what's going on and where they are failing at and suggest a better idea for halo and cage design? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmiester View Post
    Where's Clayton?
    The banking is fine, the track was great last night. Past weeks have seen the slick surface and wiped off cushion cause some problems. When side bite is poor and no cushion it causes many cautions and some bad wrecks lately.

Oneal did not take out Mahoney. He made a clean slide job, actually Mahoney drove into the back of Oneal in 2, then they got together on the backstretch. Mahoney got collected in 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Oneal did not take out Mahoney. He made a clean slide job, actually Mahoney drove into the back of Oneal in 2, then they got together on the backstretch. Mahoney got collected in 3.
    He jumped the restart also. I would be ticked too. Mahoney got hosed.

Default Mahoney-O'Neal

Hudson jumped the start there like crazy, not sure how they let that go. The slider was clean, but Hudson wheel hopped, and practically had to stop to get the car straightened up. I think that's why Mahoney got into him. The timing got all screwed up. That restart though, wow.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

If he jumped the restart he would have to been beside or in front of him at the 2nd cone. He wasnt, he was right behind Mahoney. If you have dirt on dirt it's plain as day on there. I like both drivers, just saying Oneal wasn't the reason for Mahoneys misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Very ugly way to win. Feel really bad for Mahoney who blew the field away until that caution. He ran a flawless night of racing, set a new track record, 12.72 and just plain got ran over on the restart. Really pathetic.

I want to give the track prep a congratulations for the great surface, and no dust or rubber until into the features.
    You need new glasses Clayton. ONeal played that restart perfectly.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by Welder89 View Post
    I was looking on Facebook trying to find pictures of the car to see what kind of damage the cage and halo had sustained, but couldn't find any. After all the concussion and injuries that have happend this season I'd really like to see pics of the damaged cars but nobody seems to ever post any on social media. Especially the longhorn cars. I only say this because maybe the right person will see what's going on and where they are failing at and suggest a better idea for halo and cage design? Just a thought.
    He almost certainly had a neck/spine compression to break a vertebrae in that area. Most of the cars do not have a tall enough halo for a forceful impact square on the top of the cage in a rollover. This is even if the halo doesn't give much.

I believe he is still in a Rayburn? I have never seen a tall cage Rayburn.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

I believe the car Barnett was in was a Rayburn. The halo was bent down a substantial amount, from what I was told by multiple people who saw it. From the series of impacts directly on top of the cage, i think any chassis would have shown some damage to the halo area. It would have been helpful to have a lot more room to give for sure though. I was in the stands in turn one, had a good view of the wreck but did not get to see the car up close personally. On a side note, Rayburn did make a few over-rail cars with a tall halo in 2007. Moyer, O'Neal, Ratliff, Dillon White, and probably a few others had one.
    Last edited by JJ128; 10-03-2016 at 09:33 AM.

FYI the FIA publishes cage building methods for rally cars. Different cars than what we use but you can see methods they allow for connecting/bracing the halo. Rally cars are built to take some crazy flips.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ128 View Post
    I believe the car Barnett was in was a Rayburn. The halo was bent down a substantial amount, from what I was told by multiple people who saw it. From the series of impacts directly on top of the cage, i think any chassis would have shown some damage to the halo area. It would have been helpful to have a lot more room to give for sure though. I was in the stands in turn one, had a good view of the wreck but did not get to see the car up close personally. On a side note, Rayburn did make a few over-rail cars with a really tall halo in 2007. Moyer, O'Neal, Ratliff, Dillon White, and probably a few others had one.
    It was a Rayburn and yes the halo was bent down quite a bit and it was moved over to the right quite a bit from what I could tell. I won't venture to guess how much on either measurement. I saw it close up and no cracks to tubing or welds that I could see. There are pictures on Facebook. If you are friends Brad Hale, he posted some yesterday. It is obvious from the way the roof is bent around the halo bars that it took a direct impact on that corner. With the air the car caught and how fast they were going at that point, I would say the car actually did its job quite well. But Steve is still lucky to not be in worse shape than he is.

is there a video out, or a link?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

If he jumped the restart he would have to been beside or in front of him at the 2nd cone. He wasnt, he was right behind Mahoney. If you have dirt on dirt it's plain as day on there. I like both drivers, just saying Oneal wasn't the reason for Mahoneys misfortune.
    I was watching DoD, I guess if they are allowed to pass after the cones and before the finish line then ya he was in the right. I'm just used to most places where you can't pass till after the finish line.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    is there a video out, or a link?
    Of the Barnett wreck I'm not sure, the feature is on DoD.

If anybody has video it would be the guy that runs
    www.inthefastlaneproductions.com
    He does very good work but it isn't his full time job so it might not get posted very quickly.

The frontstretch fence is another issue. It's not tall enough, and there are no cables thru it. A wheel will end up in the stands one day.

A clean slide job to you means a guy gets to slide up at you and you have to hit the brake and let them in front to keep from being knocked off the track, right?
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 10-03-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    A clean slide job to you means a guy ges to slide up at you and you have to hit the brake and let them in front to keep from being knocked off the track, right?
    Mahoney should of showed more patience and he probably wins the race. It wasn't a 'dirty" move by Hudson, it was aggressive. He knew that was his shot on the restart and took it. And he cleared him, nothing close to knocking him off the track

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Hudson jumped the start there like crazy, not sure how they let that go. The slider was clean, but Hudson wheel hopped, and practically had to stop to get the car straightened up. I think that's why Mahoney got into him. The timing got all screwed up. That restart though, wow.
    Jumping the restart like that usually means a penalty. But this time for some reason (take a guess) it was ignored.