Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brownstown

that track has lost its true character with the walls and more banking

Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    Same thing I saw
    Ditto. I can't stand his dad but that pass was clean. Mahoney took himself out.

The kid has talent. Driving for a guy willing too out spin the entire field. I can't believe the kid ever gets beat. Brownstown has a core group of guys that are putting on some of the best shows in the region every Saturday night. Mahoney(dosent race every week because he has to work to race),Stapleton, Joe Godsey,Hines(runs the BoB Series and it's all on his own dime) Bailey(up and comer),Magner,Gilpin(when he shows up)....and we have seen Chilton and Linville several races......

Hudson may have cut that slide job a little short, but Mahoney made the choice of whether there would be contact or a cross over move. Slide jobs go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    that track has lost its true character with the walls and more banking
    The walls are a good 30 feet from the edge of the racing surface. I race there almost every weekend. As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

The problem at Brownstown right now is the insanely sharp drop off the banking in the corners AND on the straights. Particularly the back stretch which has claimed about a half dozen cars this year.

Yeah, no issue with walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    The walls are a good 30 feet from the edge of the racing surface. I race there almost every weekend. As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.The problem at Brownstown right now is the insanely sharp drop off the banking in the corners AND on the straights. Particularly the back stretch which has claimed about a half dozen cars this year.
    where you racing there in the early 80's I thought not

where you racing there in the early 80's I thought not
    I was there watching in the early 80s. What is your point. The walls are not a factor now just as they weren't back then. Not the wooden beams back then could really be called a "wall".
    The point is, the way the track is configured today, the walls have ZERO impact in the racing line available. Period end of discussion.

yeah you were what 5 years old if that back in the early 80s i know I checked so you wouldn't know

Dude, you're not making any sense. If your point is that the walls are closer to the track today than they were in the early 80s, that is completely different from saying that walls are having a negative impact on the racing today. Which is what you implied and you've implied it before. The walls are a non-issue. Don't take my word for it, ask ANYBODY that races there. Saying that the wall being put up on the backstretch made the racing worse is like saying you can see the Eiffel Tower better if you drive 10 miles east.

Now, the rumor (from some pretty reliable sources) is that they ARE going to knock the crown off the straights and calm the corners down before next season. The track will be slower but the racing will be better. Before they crowned the straights, a guy could drive pretty far out and make a lot of momentum. Still a good 10-15 feet from the wall even when the track is flat and can be widened out.

Video with camera sitting ON the backstretch wall. Note: Cars nowhere near it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxihOw2NkVQ

And in the daylight in case your vision is bad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8YrV5jy358
    Last edited by Matt49; 10-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.

No the fact they had a wall at all when a driver had issues he could pull off keeping the show going and in those days it was important when car counts in a certain class was higher than they are today , why did they mess with it that's what so unique about the place now you have minis sprints and what not filling the pit area.
    Last edited by old fan; 10-02-2016 at 07:16 PM.

No the fact they had a wall at all when a driver had issues he could pull off keeping the show going and in those days it was important when car counts in a certain class was higher than they are today , why did they mess with it thats what so unique about the place now you have minis sprints and what not filling the pit area
    What are you talking about? You can still pull off the track?

What he is getting at, is that back in the day when they had the makeshift wall, there was an opening in the backstretch where a car could pull off and completely leave the track there. But again, he is talking out his elbow. If you have a problem on the backstretch today, you can pull off the track and exit through the service alley right next to the lineup shoot. There's an acre of grass out there and cars do it all the time and it never brings out the caution. It's also a hot pit area for longer races.

The problem today (in general and at all tracks) is that when people have a problem they insist on stopping on the track rather than pulling off to intentionally bring out the caution. So we're sort of talking about two different problems here.

Stopping on the track is the track crews fault real simple you cause a yellow like stopping on the track you are done for the race

Stopping on the track is the track crews fault real simple you cause a yellow like stopping on the track you are done for the race
    The rule at Brownstown (as discussed at each driver's meeting) is that if you stop on the track intentionally to bring out a yellow, you go a lap down.
    Enforcement of that rule has been a different story.

Enforcement of that rule has been a different story. whoop there it is

Old fan, I am 50 yrs old...I remember those days of the guys pulling off the back stretch. My Dad always pitted by the "Big Tree" back in those days. Back then you had to be 12 yrs. old to enter the pits, since I was a tall kid...I got to go at 10.....Those days were special. I like Brownstown now, though, it's way to fast and too steep on the back side of the track. I hope Jim can cut it down just enough to keep cars from flipping and still give us good racing. I loved the Black and slick and smooth that use to be Brownstown....brought the great drivers to the front, but those days are past us now.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedaddyD21 View Post
    Old fan, I am 50 yrs old...I remember those days of the guys pulling off the back stretch. My Dad always pitted by the "Big Tree" back in those days. Back then you had to be 12 yrs. old to enter the pits, since I was a tall kid...I got to go at 10.....Those days were special. I like Brownstown now, though, it's way to fast and too steep on the back side of the track. I hope Jim can cut it down just enough to keep cars from flipping and still give us good racing. I loved the Black and slick and smooth that use to be Brownstown....brought the great drivers to the front, but those days are past us now.
    ^^^ LIKE ^^^

But those days are note gone. With the right track configuration, Brownstown will be right back where it was.
    Like to you, Brownstown is a special, almost sacred, place to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    The walls are a good 30 feet from the edge of the racing surface. I race there almost every weekend. As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

The problem at Brownstown right now is the insanely sharp drop off the banking in the corners AND on the straights. Particularly the back stretch which has claimed about a half dozen cars this year.
    You hit the nail on the head. Especially the last sentence of your 1st paragraph.