Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Brownstown

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    I hoping to make the Fall 50 also. Have no heard any mention any any comments by Mahoney. I imagine that he knows there's is no point, since it's all history.

I heard some very disturbing rumors about the track though. Don't know if it's a fact or not, and know better than to ask. But I hear they are planning on destroying the track as it is and flattening the crap out of it.

It appears that the powers that be are calling for it. They will never have a promoter that is not controlled by the fair board.
    If by "the powers that be" you mean the racers that are sick and tired of destroying race cars and sending drivers to the hospital...Then YES, the powers that be have spoken.

If it is blood sport you want I suggest MMA. We can race and have a good racing facility without the ridiculous track conditions we have had this year. If you are one of those that goes to the track anxiously awaiting the BIG one, Brownstown was certainly the place to be this year. We sent one of the best in our history to the hospital and you cheer it on. Sickening. Next year should be different.

I don't go to races to see wrecks and people getting hurt. But I don't go to see wimpy warriors limp around a flat dry slick track either. We'll see how the fans like this sorry move.

Are you one of the powers that be? Could be. I know who this is.

I suggested fixing the problem by leveling the track outside of the banking with more dirt, and that obviously is not what you want, right?

Many race track have banking that is higher than Brownstown and they are doing just fine.

Flat race tracks can only lead to running the inside and follow the leader.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 10-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Brownstown is flat now? looked like good racing over the weekend to me.

I didn't go to funfest because it sucks. I did see a few videos of the Street Stocks mostly.....it looked like the same old rubbered up , no prep funfest track you see every year. Until we see Mahoney, Bailey,Hines,Gilpin and Stapleton next season......we won't know what it's going to be until then. Since Jim Price has ran things, the track usually has way more grip than it did 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cratedaddyD21 View Post
    I didn't go to funfest because it sucks. I did see a few videos of the Street Stocks mostly.....it looked like the same old rubbered up , no prep funfest track you see every year. Until we see Mahoney, Bailey,Hines,Gilpin and Stapleton next season......we won't know what it's going to be until then. Since Jim Price has ran things, the track usually has way more grip than it did 4 years ago.
    The flattening is supposed to be coming, unless several people have been told bad info.

yeah sure it is like your head

The problem with Brownstown was with the banking so high, it was top side dominant. I mean watching Cody Mahoney run around the top leading by over half a lap isn't exciting. Not taking anything away from him, he's a great driver with a great car. Hudson Oneal, same way, around the top and dominating. By cutting some of the banking it'll slow them down some and make it to where the bottom groove will come into play which imo will create better racing. I think Funfest was an example, and from what I heard the drivers really liked it. Sometimes it's not all about speed.

that banking was high lol

Nope MR I'm not Cody's GF or dad. Just another racer , I just gave my opinion on what I saw. I wouldn't have liked it if he done it to me. But then again that's JMO. But maybe I'm not the professional racer that you are. Should I start asking for your professional opinion before I reply to or post something??
    Last edited by spas; 10-13-2016 at 03:58 PM.

The track will still have plenty of banking. The problem was not the banking itself, it was the progressive nature at the banking. WAY steeper at the top than just a few car widths down from the top. We called a "cupping" affect. This is what created both a top dominant track and a treacherous situation.
    Clayton, your idea of adding a table top around the outside would be fine and work from a safety standpoint but that is a LOT of extra dirt that would need to be brought in = $$$. I think it would be far more cost effective to put the track back the way it was when Tim had it. The racing was just fine and the track had plenty of banking to allow for 3-wide action in all classes. I don't want to see one-lane around the bottom any more than you do. All that does is promote people moving the guy in front of them instead of passing them. Then we're back to the same issue of having torn up cars all the time. I guess we'll just see how it turns out but I hope we end up with something that is good for the racers AND the fans. We need both.

They took a little off the banking and rounded the lip for FunFest. I would not expect major changes over the winter, unless the fair board approves dirt to be brought in and put around the outside. I think what they already did will help. Most of the crashes this year had nothing to do with the lip. It seems there were several bad wrecks this year at a variety of different tracks. The last thing anyone wants to see is someone get hurt. The additional banking has made for some great races over the past couple of years. Hope they can find a happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    that banking was high lol
    Yes, it was getting really scary and race cars were actually going pretty fast. Kind of what you would expect out of racing at a SPEEDWAY. Old Fan I-55 is higher banked, would you like to see it flattened? Would that not get you pretty worked up to know that was happening to a track that you've went to all your life? Now I will have to travel long distance to see races.

Matt I wish they would think it over before possibly messing up. The way the track was, was not working all that well as Bane had let it get flatter and flatter every year he was there to the point that racers were getting over the cushion (sometimes no cushion at all) way to much and also the distance around turn four, top side was so much longer than running the inside that high runners were having a real struggle to not lose a lot of ground coming out of turn four and they also could not keep the cars on the track in turn two.

Also with the tires being pushed out so far the inside racing has been adversely affected. With some cars getting damaged pretty bad by them.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 10-13-2016 at 09:32 PM.

I don't miss the slow flat track we use to have but it sure was easier on equipment. The real problem with the lip this season........there were only a few guys with the talent to click off laps at hammer down speeds up on that cushion. With that being said, the talent we see now is as good as it's been in 15 years. I certainly do like seeing fast cars at my local track but as a car owner and driver, you have to ask yourself if racing and wrecking at such high speeds we seen this season....is it worth it for $ 1200.00 to win ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Yes, it was getting really scary and race cars were actually going pretty fast. Kind of what you would expect out of racing at a SPEEDWAY. Old Fan I-55 is higher banked, would you like to see it flattened? Would that not get you pretty worked up to know that was happening to a track that you've went to all your life? Now I will have to travel long distance to see races. Matt I wish they would think it over before possibly messing up. The way the track was, was not working all that well as Bane had let it get flatter and flatter every year he was there to the point that racers were getting over the cushion (sometimes no cushion at all) way to much and also the distance around turn four, top side was so much longer than running the inside that high runners were having a real struggle to not lose a lot of ground coming out of turn four and they also could not keep the cars on the track in turn two. Also with the tires being pushed out so far the inside racing has been adversely affected. With some cars getting damaged pretty bad by them.
    I 55 was flattened a number of years ago, ooops btown would take a lot of work to be high banked

actually some of the best racing I 've seen is the little bull ring belle Claire aka gatewaydirt or highland speedway