Default Fighting a tight car

I have a Dirtworks Dw11 USRA B mod the car is horrible tight on corner entry and through middle on the gas. Right now the car setup is LF 600 RF 450 I've been up to a 650 on the RF. LR 175 RR 200. Left side 51% Rear 57% I've been from 60lb of bite down to -30lb of bite. The LR bar is 20* if I lower it anymore the car wont get up on the bars. The RR bar is 10*.The J bar is one hole below pinion with about 6'' of split. My RR shock is only showing 2'' drop I run on a high bank 1/2 mile that's always hammer down. Any help would be very much appreciated!!
    Last edited by johnmod12; 10-02-2016 at 09:21 PM.

Well if teh car it too tight on entry and though the middle then the RR must be loaded to much.
    Why a 450?
    Three link?

I'd change the RF to 650-700 and maybe reduce the J bar angle too. That should free it up on entry and then see how the middle works. You may have to change the way you drive in as well.

The car had a 450 on it when I bought the car, I changed it and put a 650 on the RF before I even raced it because I thought it was to light. But after 3 nights with the 650 in it and it pushing like crazy I put the 450 back in and it took some of the push out. I've had the car out 8 times this year and I cant seem to gain any ground with it. It is a 3link. I can force it around the track but I cant drive it in traffic. I've tried every driving style to get it to work but nothing has been successful. Are you saying if the RR is loaded to much it will clime the bar taking out rear steer?

Put the 450 in the lf and the 600 in the rf. What offsets and how much stagger? Do you have a 60in centered rearend?

add left side % to 52.5 soften left spring to 500

left front spring needs to be softened.
    that control entry to center of corner, but that is assuming the LF is on the ground and helping turn the car on entry.
    are you trying to trail brake car, or is the type of track you are on you need to be on throttle on entry.?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Well if teh car it too tight on entry and though the middle then the RR must be loaded to much.
    Why a 450?
    Three link?

I'd change the RF to 650-700 and maybe reduce the J bar angle too. That should free it up on entry and then see how the middle works. You may have to change the way you drive in as well.
    Kind of.....
    I'm saying you have the RR pined down on entry and it's messing up the center. You can break it loose enough to turn but you need the whole track to do that and that's where your traffic problem comes from.

DW is not too far from me and there are 1000's of them. They seem to like pretty standard set ups. Have you tried anything like that? Have you talked to DW yet?

Maybe try
    LF 550 RF 650
    LR 200 RR 175
    60-80 LRB
    53-54 LS
    56-58 Rear
    LSB 10'
    RSB 5'
    Pullbar at 15'
    Hopefully with this you can drive it on entry and let the car finish rotating on the throttle. Just make sure you have it pointed in the right direction before picking up the throttle or it could push on ya.

Change that rf to a 600 then get used to the car and start going lighter and lighter.

Get that left side up! 54%. Bump RF spring to 650-700 also.

1/2 mile track. Does the body/spoiler induce a lot of rear down force? Could be an imbalance of down force between front and rear. Something to keep in mind on high speed tracks, especially on entry and to the middle.
    Our Creed: "Where two or more are gathered, there shall be a RACE!"

I agree with most people here:
    1) Lower LF spring rate, go 500-550
    2) Increase left side % to around 52.5 without driver.
    3) Increase RF to 550-600
    Measure how much trail is in the car. Should be trailed back on right side 3/8" - 1/2"
    These 3 things should make a huge difference

I fought a tight issue all last year, started off with bad lr and rr shocks allowing no movement then at end of year found a heim joint was binding on me, pushed like a dump on ice, no amount of setup changing fixed it.

You should be able to rotate a good car on or off the gas. Drop that LF down or swap those fronts and try it. If that isn't a noticeable change check for binds.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

if u have a 3 link with that much angle in rear control arms you prob have some crazy rear steer in car. As you say, a 3 link won't climb the bars like a 4 link

Soften the LF spring. That helps loosen entry. What's your trail? Better check that. The bar angles on that are fine on the rr, a bit conservative on the lr.

All this is considering nothing is bent or binding

Sounds like the tight entry is a combination of the low left side weight, and the low cross weight numbers and the soft RF combined. I wouldn't change it though. Having the car tight on entry isn't a bad thing especially on a slick surface. You might just need to increase the RR trail and reset your cross again after. Keep playing with that and you should be able to carry your speed through the corner a bit better. Whenever you run a stiffer RR than LR and a softer RF than LF, you'll be tight on entry, lower left side weight is tighter on entry, and lower cross too is tighter on entry. If you insist on running that, you'll need more steer to get the car into the corner without having to throw it in. Solve the entry problem first. If it's good in, then hopefully the middle is better too. If the middle is still tight you could mess with your bars

There's a million ways to make any suspension set up work or not work lol