Thread: RF way outboard

Default RF way outboard

I've boon looking a lot of cars lately and I'm noticing how far out the RF sticks out past the body. Is this an illusion based on how the body is hung, or is it way out there? My MasterS has a 19" lower and it's nowhere near as far out as most.

I touched on the same thing in my ''winter updates " thread.I'm on a 19 5/8 with a 1'' spacer.We've tried it back to back and the car likes the spacer. I was thinking of building a longer a-arm but was afraid it would lose strength at that length.MBR suggested moving the mount which sounds like a better ideal.

A lot of it has todo with how the body is built. We are all really close on how long our RF stuff is from brand to brand but our decks at Warrior are wider at the dash so it gives us the appearance of our RF being shorter that others due to less tire showing out of the RF tire. One thing you need to look at is how far it sticks out the RF flopper because all of the noses are the same width.

Mike @ Warrior Race Cars

I notice the Disco tech cars, that RF is out at least 8" or better. I noticed Swartz and others the rightsides are kinda even, within 4".

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by RCJ View Post
    I touched on the same thing in my ''winter updates " thread.I'm on a 19 5/8 with a 1'' spacer.We've tried it back to back and the car likes the spacer. I was thinking of building a longer a-arm but was afraid it would lose strength at that length.MBR suggested moving the mount which sounds like a better ideal.
    Personally I'd find out whether the car was better mostly from the wheel track change or the increase in scrub radius, jacking effect, and Etc or a combo of both then that will tell you what direction to go in.

I think a rule change is needed. The cars are getting so wide that no one can pass.............LOL Feel thing. Some guys like the feel of the additional scrub radius catching the car. I find most of them are slow drivers in tight race cars that flip over and need caught. The direct connection between the right foot and traction is lost in the sauce.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I personally don't like a bunch of scrub radius because of the way it unloads the RR. If your car is loose on entry causing you to counter steer, the last thing you need that to do is unload the RR.

That's why I love a car that you don't even need to turn the steering wheel to drive. Eliminates all that.

The more steering wheel inputs, less consistent you will be. Goes the same for the brake and the gas pedals.

Flat on the gas, no brake, and pull the steering wheel off. That's the way I'd like to see them drive.

You have to have goals..................LOL
    Last edited by let-r-eat; 10-08-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    That's why I love a car that you don't even need to turn the steering wheel to drive. Eliminates all that.

The more steering wheel inputs, less consistent you will be. Goes the same for the brake and the gas pedals.

Flat on the gas, no brake, and pull the steering wheel off. That's the way I'd like to see them drive.

You have to have goals..................LOL
    Go to Belleville KS, you only need a brick and a bungee cord and a set of balls

Brick is for the gas pedal

Bungee cord is for the steering wheel

Balls, well you can figure that one out.

Question Why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheelinphotos View Post
    A lot of it has todo with how the body is built. We are all really close on how long our RF stuff is from brand to brand but our decks at Warrior are wider at the dash so it gives us the appearance of our RF being shorter that others due to less tire showing out of the RF tire. One thing you need to look at is how far it sticks out the RF flopper because all of the noses are the same width.

Mike @ Warrior Race Cars
    Whats the advantage to the RF being way out further? What does it do for the cars handling? I know what a wheel spacer on the RF does, but somehow I think this has a different effect, anybody care to share? Does it just help the car track better when its all hiked up, running crooked? Or is it something else?

I first tried longer lower a arms because our car had a chronic push from the transition zone (what I call the area before the apex) to the apex.Longer arms helped this problem.Long story on the r/f spacer , but it helps the car turn thru the middle without getting loose off.I've put a lot of thought it to billets comments about scrub with the spacers.My caster is set to the higher end of what most people will run,I feel because of this my car does not yaw as much as most peoples.So the reduction in jacking effect from the reduction in scrub radius hopeful will be a positive change.