Default Dash/Short run on hard or soft tires?

When the track is hard and slick would it be best to run a hard tire or soft tire in a short lap event (6-8 laps) ? open tire rules

Both LR and RR?

Afraid that the hard tire won't have time to heat up enough....short track.

Quote Originally Posted by missile07 View Post
    When the track is hard and slick would it be best to run a hard tire or soft tire in a short lap event (6-8 laps) ? open tire rules

Both LR and RR?

Afraid that the hard tire won't have time to heat up enough....short track.
    There is no set answer. If you shred the soft tire 2 laps in, those big floppy feathers will kill you. If the hard tire doesn't get enough heat, it won't go.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

How soft? I probly wouldn't run any softer than a 1350. A pyrometer would be very helpful. Max temp for a 1350 would be 150 degrees, before it starts falling off.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

We've got as soft as a 1200 but are open to what we can run. We have used a pyrometer in the past at different tracks but this track scales and techs inside the track, so by the time the car pulls off the tires have cooled and/or ran thru mud.

Not used to having the option to open tires so I guess more than anything looking for advice from experience.

a 1350 is pretty versatile unless the track just is really abrasive or takes alot of rubber for that short of a run

With the current tire rules at most places it's been quite a while since I've used anything softer then a 1300 and to be honest not sure if they have changed the tires since then which could change this, but:

If the track actually has some black, the 1300 or softer tires don't like the black at all. When a 1300 hits the black it tends to want to spin real easy, where a 1350 won't. The 1350 is a really good overall tire and will run in the black for quite a while without giving up unless it's really abrasive or just a lot of laps.

So generally if there is some black showing on the track (even just on the straights) I will go with 1350's on the rear for sure.