Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Conversation on Shocks

I am a budget racer and have done lots of experimenting with chassis set ups etc. Obviously one of the main sources of traction and handling is shocks. What is everyones thoughts on the best shocks out now? The best shock builder and the best shock service as in technical support? What are the costs that everyone is paying on average for a set of shocks and/or revalving existing shocks? I am on a set of Integras right now and I havent a clue about shocks. I just send them off to have them "Built" and hang them on when they come back. Ive never gotten set up sheets or advice in tuning ever....What and who are you guys recommendations for shocks and builders that actually help their customers?

You need to look in your region who has cars up front, them go speak to those guys about they experience they have had with they shock builder. Some guys provide a TON of info on what to do with your shocks when you work with them and some builder send you nothing. Also need to find a person who is gonna be willing to help you thru the learning curve your going thru some guys have left a lot of newbies out to dry them gives the rest of the shock builders a bad name. If ya need anymore help with this feel free to give me a call Mike @ Warrior Race Cars/1G Shock Service 865.573.2411

Alot of smoke and mirrors in shocks, and thats from someone in the game.

Overall i have been impressed with Envy, he set up a set of M2's with Penske valves that i would put up against anything, traction wise.

Just say no...

Second the envy vote. Second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    I am a budget racer and have done lots of experimenting with chassis set ups etc. Obviously one of the main sources of traction and handling is shocks. What is everyones thoughts on the best shocks out now? The best shock builder and the best shock service as in technical support? What are the costs that everyone is paying on average for a set of shocks and/or revalving existing shocks? I am on a set of Integras right now and I havent a clue about shocks. I just send them off to have them "Built" and hang them on when they come back. Ive never gotten set up sheets or advice in tuning ever....What and who are you guys recommendations for shocks and builders that actually help their customers?
    Speaking strictly Mono-tube vs Mono-tube, brand to brand shouldn't make much difference if any at all. If the builder knows what he's doing he should be able to make one brand perform(dampening) the same as another. Just like in engines and matching the power curve to the car/conditions/driver, you match the dampening curve in the same way. Lets say for example you had a set of AFCO's that suit you and your car perfectly, a competent builder should be able to build you a set of Ohlins or Bilsteins or JRI's or Genesis or whatever's, that perform exactly the same for you. The only limiting factors from shock to shock to me would be oil quality and design limitations, such as one brand may have a wider adjustment potential built into its basic design. What ever brand you have already invested in should be fine, you just need a builder who knows his way around them to build them to suit you. Lots of good shocks being built today, I like Advanced(ARS) and Genesis.

ARS - http://www.advancedracingsuspensions.com/
    Genesis - http://www.genesisshocks.com/
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 10-06-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Default shocked

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    Speaking strictly Mono-tube vs Mono-tube, brand to brand shouldn't make much difference if any at all. If the builder knows what he's doing he should be able to make one brand perform(dampening) the same as another. Just like in engines and matching the power curve to the car/conditions/driver, you match the dampening curve in the same way. Lets say for example you had a set of AFCO's that suit you and your car perfectly, a competent builder should be able to build you a set of Ohlins or Bilsteins or JRI's or Genesis or whatever's, that perform exactly the same for you. The only limiting factors from shock to shock to me would be oil quality and design limitations, such as one brand may have a wider adjustment potential built into its basic design. What ever brand you have already invested in should be fine, you just need a builder who knows his way around them to build them to suit you. Lots of good shocks being built today, I like Advanced(ARS) and Genesis.

ARS - http://www.advancedracingsuspensions.com/
    Genesis - http://www.genesisshocks.com/

problem is you can have a say...Intergra, and build a Penske to the same dyno curves, and numbers, and it will not perform the same on the car.
    I have seen it. (club 29)

you could have say a Bilstein shock, and have a Fox built to the same, and they are a dead up match on the dyno, and they do not work the same on the car.
    I have lived that

granted an expert shock would need to know what to do to each of the shock company's piston stacks and bleed orifices, to make them comparable to one another (on the car feel). that takes a lot of R&D time , and a lot of someone's money..
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    problem is you can have a say...Intergra, and build a Penske to the same dyno curves, and numbers, and it will not perform the same on the car.

you could have say a Bilstein shock, and have a Fox built to the same, and they are a dead up match on the dyno, and they do not work the same on the car.
    I have lived that

granted an expert shock would need to know what to do to each of the shock company's piston stacks and bleed orifices, to make them comparable to one another (on the car feel). that takes a lot of R&D time , and a lot of someone's money..
    The shock dyno only tells you so much about the shock performance. So, that is certainly very possible.

The shaft changes direction very frequently on the race car. Your dyno sheet don't show what happens then.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 10-07-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Just like MBR said, there is a lot more to shocks than what the dyno can tell you. Sorry, Stede, but you are way off base on this one. Piston design, finish coatings, etc. have a huge impact on how a shock behaves on a race car and it can't be duplicated on any shock dyno that I know of. A shock dyno puts a shock through a constant velocity and changes direction at the same shaft displacement every time. The forces at work on a race car are usually trying to accelerate the shocks velocity, not maintain it. And they change their direction at a wide range of shaft displacements.

Sorta like how an engine dyno doesn't always equate to on track drivability?

I became a huge jerry link fan several years back, helped me more than any one understand what shocks really do, especially when on a soft rt front set up, only problem now is since he went to afco, he is harder to contact......

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Just like MBR said, there is a lot more to shocks than what the dyno can tell you. Sorry, Stede, but you are way off base on this one. Piston design, finish coatings, etc. have a huge impact on how a shock behaves on a race car and it can't be duplicated on any shock dyno that I know of. A shock dyno puts a shock through a constant velocity and changes direction at the same shaft displacement every time. The forces at work on a race car are usually trying to accelerate the shocks velocity, not maintain it. And they change their direction at a wide range of shaft displacements.
    You need an electromechanical fatigue testing machine. Then you can do anything you want to the shock and measure response. I have access to servo-hydraulic, but they are too slow for a complete analysis.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    I became a huge jerry link fan several years back, helped me more than any one understand what shocks really do, especially when on a soft rt front set up, only problem now is since he went to afco, he is harder to contact......
    Off topic but I guess not really too far off, I've been wondering about his new Afco Technologies shocks.
    Has anyone used them or heard anything on them? I can't imagine them not being pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post

I have lived that

it matters as to how sophisticated of dyno you use, I prefer Roerhig. Your right in that if you have a dyno that only gives, for example "peak values", you could build 2 shocks that look alike at peak velocity and not get the same performance on the track. There are dyno's that can measure everything you need them too though, its just a matter of $$$.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 10-13-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Stead
    Are you a driver?
    How long ago was that you built thousands of shocks?
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

What tells me whether a shock is RIGHT or not?

Maintaining the attitude of the race car?
    Tire temp management?
    Checkered flags?

What tells me it's the RIGHT shock?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Off topic but I guess not really too far off, I've been wondering about his new Afco Technologies shocks.
    Has anyone used them or heard anything on them? I can't imagine them not being pretty darn good.
    we run them, there as good as anything out there,we've kept up with them on a dyno and they haven't fell off any about 15 races on them

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The shock dyno only tells you so much about the shock performance. So, that is certainly very possible.

The shaft changes direction very frequently on the race car. Your dyno sheet don't show what happens then.
    you can get shock data from the car,then put it in a program on the dyno,then work off of those graphs
    end result same shock no matter who's name is on it,now shock fade is another story,but if your running weekly shows,20-30 laps you won't see much of it either,75-100 laps and fade is a huge factor(heat)
    Last edited by grt74; 10-08-2016 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    What tells me whether a shock is RIGHT or not?

Maintaining the attitude of the race car?
    Tire temp management?
    Checkered flags?

What tells me it's the RIGHT shock?
    Attitude would be a big hell no.

For most people, the stopwatch. Testing with DAQ would work too.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    you can get shock data from the car,then put it in a program on the dyno,then work off of those graphs
    end result same shock no matter who's name is on it,now shock fade is another story,but if your running weekly shows,20-30 laps you won't see much of it either,75-100 laps and fade is a huge factor(heat)
    If you have a dyno with type of capabilities. There are reputable shock guys that don't have access to such dyno technology.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

A traction shock has nothing to do with attitude?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?