Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Provisionals

Default Provisionals

I for one don't have an issue with provisionals most of the time. I just read that Mark Richards put up some money at the Pittsburgher so the highest finishing Rocket in the B main not to transfer gets in. Also Satterlee's company put up money so the highest finishing regional racer gets in. I like extra cars getting in cause it usually cause a better race but not sure with racers families puting money up that could in turn get their own drivers into a race. Thoughts?

Shouldn't happen. Series provisionals, ok but don't let others put up anything to let someone who doesn't deserve it get in. I'm sure they are starting plenty of cars without this.
    Scott Kleindorfer

I can see having more cars on the track at a half mile but any track smaller is crazy. Let the series and track decide how many. I think you should have to race your way in only.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Lucas should flat out have said NO! If you want to add to the purse fine but otherwise NO!
    Scott Kleindorfer

A couple of racers take home a few more dollars.Sounds great to me.

Personally, hate provisional. Having said that, I'd much rather see a provisional for a regional or local racer being added than a Series Provisional.

But, series provisionals are never going away, how do series get teams to follow them full time? they guarantee them a starting spot (within reason). Guys still miss a race here or there if they aren't high enough in points, but in actuality it's about rewarding the top teams with starting spots if they have trouble (you can't advertise Scott Bloomquist the point leader / champion and then have him miss the feature because of a flat tire or blown engine in his heat or the b-main).

It's about business and catering to fans (not the hard-core fans like those on this board, but the "fair weather" fans or casual fan. Same reason NASCAR locks in a certain # of teams now. You can't expect someone to pay $35 for a ticket to see the stars you are advertising and then not have that star in the race.

This is what used to be called a promoter's option, not a provisional.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp0354 View Post
    I for one don't have an issue with provisionals most of the time. I just read that Mark Richards put up some money at the Pittsburgher so the highest finishing Rocket in the B main not to transfer gets in. Also Satterlee's company put up money so the highest finishing regional racer gets in. I like extra cars getting in cause it usually cause a better race but not sure with racers families puting money up that could in turn get their own drivers into a race. Thoughts?
    It's extremely likely Josh Richards and Gregg Satterlee make the show on their own and won't need these provisionals.

The spots are most likely to be given to local/regional drivers.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I am probably alone here, or, as Vande pointed out, one of the minority "hard-core" fan, but when the big dogs roll into town, I want to see them NOT make the feature. I want to see the underdogs make it, and the heavily favorite touring guys roll out the back gate early... "Haha 0, or 6, or 1 (insert car# here), come back when you can stay longer"

No provisionals. I am with DD45 on this, You race your way in.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

I'd like to know what they are considering "regional" racers...A driver that doesn't follow a national tour? If that's the case then a guy like Billy Moyer (he won't be there) or Dale McDowell could get in. I'd say they are hardly "regional" racers.

There is a big sprint car race every year that used to auction off the last spot in the A, and I believe it all went to charity. It was interesting and kind of cool. It's all a gimmick. I've been hard on Colton Flinner this season for always needing a provisional and then causing cautions, but you got to hand it to him, he's played the system and stuck out the duration.

I think the 2 extra cars being added is a bonus! These cars will not gain points for Lucas but still make some cash. I would say that there is a 99% chance that the additional 2 cars will be local drivers. Richards & Satterlee both should make it in without a provisional. It may help someone like Christian Schneider make it in in his rookie year!

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaf67 View Post
    I am probably alone here, or, as Vande pointed out, one of the minority "hard-core" fan, but when the big dogs roll into town, I want to see them NOT make the feature. I want to see the underdogs make it, and the heavily favorite touring guys roll out the back gate early... "Haha 0, or 6, or 1 (insert car# here), come back when you can stay longer"

No provisionals. I am with DD45 on this, You race your way in.
    I don't think your in the minority as a "hard core" fan (especially on a message board)....

Unfortunately, racetracks can't survive with just the "hard core" fans in the stands, they have to get those casual fans to show up and not having the guys they are advertising in print, radio (and sometimes TV) not make the feature makes those fans not come back.

Lots of places used to have a "track provisional" spot. Series provisionals are always going to be there. The truth of the matter is most provisionals are not deserving of being in the race or they would already be in there. Most start and park or fall out early. It's extremely rare that a provisional has any outcome on the actual race.

On the subject of sponsor paid provisionals, if it was listed on the entry blank/advertising I see no problem with it. If it was added after time trials or heat races, I see a big problem with it.

SPark

It's smart advertising for Richards.My first thought was '' That guy is helping the guys that buy his cars".

no NO NO no NO

One of the coolest sights in racing is seeing the big haulers leaving early because they didn't make the show and seeing a local with a small trailer sitting off by itself still there because he raced his way into the feature.Bonus points if it's an open trailer.

I don't care how many provisionals there are. So long as they take no less than 22 (prefreably 24) cars from the heats and B's and the provisionals line up behind them.

most of the series provisionals go to drivers who have lots of money and very little talent, people who can afford to run all the lucas or woo, races with very little success,,,,,,,,,,,,

Provisionals are a necessary evil in series racing. I'm not a fan of the twenty starters two provisionals that is favored by a series around here. Should be a minimum of 22 spots to race your way in to.

You people have NO freak'in clue. All you care about is the big money teams. A few extra provisional's adds a few car's that might not necessarily make the show, ( and alittle $$ to boot). Super late racing is losing team's because of this kind of thinking.. The guy's up front will be back no matter what you pay. BUT,,, the guy's struggling to cover fuel and tires bills are saying the hell with it!! Besides, you could start 40 car's at pittsburgh if needed. Get over yourself and think about the "back" marker's once in a while. THEY need to make money too......