Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Flinner

With the HANS device you still may get a concussion but with a head on crash it more than likely will save your life. The Reason NASCAR implemented the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    With the HANS device you still may get a concussion but with a head on crash it more than likely will save your life. The Reason NASCAR implemented the rule.
    NASCAR has problems we don't with the cars. Their cars were not crumpling in a crash and transferring more energy to the driver. I have asked several times. What LM drivers have died from a basal skull fracture? LM sanctions have barked up the wrong tree. A bigger cage is needed and a containment seat. Those would save lives.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Is John related to Colten?

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Is John related to Colten?
    Colten is John's nephew.

speed has never killed anyone suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets you which is qoute bt Jermey Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    speed has never killed anyone suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets you which is qoute bt Jermey Clarkson

Well no sh!t Rocket scientist! How long did it take you to google that litey? It doesnt take rocket science to know that it isnt the speed that kills you it is that sudden stop you fukn moron!! I like how you read thru these posts then you go google something you see then you come back on here and post about it like you are posting something you just thought up... You Freddie are a JOKE!! Stick to the parts counter at autozone thats more your speed......
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart50 View Post
    Speed is at fault you freaking i diot....

Hmmmmz You calling someone an idiot imagine that..... well you might want to take a good look in the mirror there oldfuk50 ooops sorry i mean oldgeezer50 well sonofab!tch it happened again let me try this again here ok here we go Oldmotherfuker50.... wtf my auto correct just doesnt like you...... It isnt the speed that kills you goofy oldfuker it is that sudden stop that kills you and if you dont believe me why dont you go out for a test spin and give it a try!! Maybe it will work!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    My comment was in general. I don't know about this specific case. If he has brain bleeding, his helmet probably hit something.
    Copy. And yes I agree on the c0ckpits and seats, but I think the Hans should surely stay.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    A bigger cage is needed and a containment seat. Those would save lives.
    Agree. The (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits keep getting smaller and smaller. I know of a case where someone sold a brand new chassis because it was just to hard to get in and out of. I know it's all about aero for these chassis manufacturer's but they have gone past the limits. The lid needs to go up some to allow for more head room.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Agree. The (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits keep getting smaller and smaller. I know of a case where someone sold a brand new chassis because it was just to hard to get in and out of. I know it's all about aero for these chassis manufacturer's but they have gone past the limits. The lid needs to go up some to allow for more head room.

I agree with you 100% HH25 on the Halo needing to be a little taller and alot Stronger... I havent paid much attention to what tubing they are using now days on these latemodels in the halo area but the last modified tat i bought new had .095 1 3/4 in the Halo and 1 1/2 everywhere else.... I had one that was an underrail car and one that was over rail both 4bar Zlink cars.... I actually started in modifieds when they were still on leaf springs back in the day.... have had swing arm cars as well... Safety was alwaays a concern for my though...

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Putting the roof way up in the air has some aero benefits, too. Seems Audie Swartz is the only one who understands that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

John is at home and resting. Good to hear, wonder if he'll get back in the seat if he gets well enough again.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

The major problem Is the lack of roll bar padding. The next time you walk through the pits look for latemodels with padding on the roll cage there will be few if any. It used to be padding on any bar a driver head might come in contact with. Sadly this part of saftey is now over looked.

Why don't these chassis builders use thicker tubing in the halo area? I do agree with the bigger (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit, and feel that window nets should become mandatory.

I just worry if you make the wall thickness too thick, the energy that normally dissipated when the halo deforms, is transferred to the driver. Also, I haven't seen or heard of any accidents where the halo actually collapsed, resulting in the drivers head physically making contact with anything. I heard rumors Shirley's halo did move beyond the point of full protection, but not sure how true that is. If that was the case, and it did shift, that may be more of a construction/design issue, more so than wall thickness of tubing. Window nets are also a great idea, but with allot of guys running full containment seats, they also probably would not add much more in terms of head protection. My opinion is were looking at a trade off situation. Now days drivers heads are tethered with a HANS, limiting the amount the head can travel forward, the seat back prevents the head from moving backwards, and in a containment seat, held from moving side to side. The only thing left to move in impact, is the brain. The trade off comes in that we greatly reduce fatal neck injuries, however now we are left to deal with a spike in concussions. I do see allot of guys also, whose helmets fit snuggly/tight between both head restraints in the seat... I would think the tighter that fit, the more energy transferred to the brain. I would think you would want a little room side to side to let the helmet float a bit.
    Last edited by heinen81; 10-13-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty55 View Post
    Hmmmmz You calling someone an idiot imagine that..... well you might want to take a good look in the mirror there oldfuk50 ooops sorry i mean oldgeezer50 well sonofab!tch it happened again let me try this again here ok here we go Oldmotherfuker50.... wtf my auto correct just doesnt like you...... It isnt the speed that kills you goofy oldfuker it is that sudden stop that kills you and if you dont believe me why dont you go out for a test spin and give it a try!! Maybe it will work!!
    You just gave me the biggest laugh of the day. hahahahahaa Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Why don't these chassis builders use thicker tubing in the halo area? I do agree with the bigger (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit, and feel that window nets should become mandatory.

Maybe they need to FLATTEN the track?

Overall, the speed of our race cars is outrunning the advancement of our safety equipment.

I don't want the halo area to crush any, there is no room for a controlled failure like on the nose or tail. You can take two hits to the nose, if your Halo fails after the first one you will be ko on the second. I have seen many cars break the halo or rip it out of the car. Kelly Boen did it a few years back at lakeside, halo was stuck in the fence.

If you want crash absorbing aspects to the halo, raise the roofs, place some type of crash foam between the roof top and the top bars. The first thing you must control is the head not making contact with something.

Slowing the cars down won't work and is not the end all answer. All classes are getting faster, look at b mods for example they can fly with a narrow tire and a 3 link. Any attempt to slow a late model will raise cost and only have a short term effect, we will find a way to speed them up again. Also, we will run the real risk of being slower than modofieds, example is at Lucas oil speedway an a mod can get within 1 second of a late model as it is, if we are equal or slower we will loose some of the draw. Yes street stocks put on a great door to door show, but fans won't like late models going borderline street stock speeds (I know extreme example).