Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I may be on the outside in this argument, but to me there can only be one crown jewel for each type of racing. For Dirt Late Models it's the World 100 (wouldn't matter if every race all season long paid more to win that it did, it is still the big one the drivers want to win). For Sprints it's Knoxville Nationals, for NASCAR it's the Daytona 500, for IndyCar it's the Indy 500, for F1 it's the Monaco Grand Prix.

To me you can't have multiple crown jewel's for a division. There has to be one race that stands out period.

In my opinion the World 100 IS the Crown, the rest are just jewels on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    NASCAR it's the Daytona 500,
    I think that could be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    I think that could be argued.
    no it cant. what race are you thinking?
    victim

I guess what I mean is NASCAR is just more than one.

In no order- Darlington Southern 500, Daytona 500, Brickyard, 600 @ Charlotte, Martinsville fall race or Bristol night race.

I saw the other day they are planning to put lights up at Martinsville. Obviously it's too early for NASCAR to announce if they will hold an event.

I go to different races for different reasons, but it's certainly not the name crown jewel, how many cars enter or what does it pay to win. Quality of the cars is at the top of the list. Quality of the track and the format comes a close second. Too hot or cold and how far from home is the rest of it, and the heat or cold didn't bother me, even 10 years ago.

In no order- Darlington Southern 500, Daytona 500, Brickyard, 600 @ Charlotte, Martinsville fall race or Bristol night race.

I saw the other day they are planning to put lights up at Martinsville. Obviously it's too early for NASCAR to announce if they will hold an event.
    I see your point. indy is one of the worst tracks.
    victim

A crown jewel should be a race that has at least 20 years of history. Money is sweet but history makes it sweeter..lol And Im with Zack the World 100 is the crown
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

If money and prestige is the argument than Indy wins hands down in NASCAR.

But, it doesn't because The Daytona 500 is their biggest event (ask the drivers, it's not even close) and it means the most to the teams and sponsors. The rest are "big races", but how do you explain someone like Derrick Cope still getting rides? Easy, he won Daytona. There are other drivers that won some of those other races that disappeared like a fart in the wind that have/had better resume's than Derrick Cope does (sans one race, he won Daytona).

Having been to the Daytona 500 as well as a few other NASCAR, INDYCAR and other big events. There was no comparison.

Everyone wants to win that first race of the season of course, which happens to be Daytona. As for Derrick Cope, he drives his own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_55_Wormer View Post
    The thing that struck me was the Tazewell-Florence weekend is now the first weekend of May. I guess Atomic isn't having the Buckeye Nationals weekend again. There's a now a week off in between the Show-Me and Eldora's Dream
    I dont think it true they already were making plans for the Buckeye nation last year abweek after having it this year

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    I may be on the outside in this argument, but to me there can only be one crown jewel for each type of racing. For Dirt Late Models it's the World 100 (wouldn't matter if every race all season long paid more to win that it did, it is still the big one the drivers want to win). For Sprints it's Knoxville Nationals, for NASCAR it's the Daytona 500, for IndyCar it's the Indy 500, for F1 it's the Monaco Grand Prix. To me you can't have multiple crown jewel's for a division. There has to be one race that stands out period.
    very true and what makes the world 100 so special for its class its not a series race no provisional from series or tracks it's all about that weekend and that weekend only

I'd say the dream is the race eb wants to win. Over double the purse means something. Also the DTWC! Compare car counts at the world 100, dream, and DTWC and the drivers will let you know their opinion without saying a word. Wonder what the car counts were for these 3?

109 at the world 79 dtwc not sure dream

The world is the only crown jewel. There can only be one...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crown%20jewel

THERE IS ONLY ONE CROWN JEWEL........The World 100, a career making race that every driver who puts on a helmet wants to win at least once in their lifetime.

I thought that was called a Dream

money can be spent , it's all about the globes

we all say the world is the grand daddy of them all but what race is your favorite race to go to? mine is the north/south
    after hot laps I'll pick the winner

$10000 to win added Thursday of North/South