Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 18fan View Post
    Lead in a potential dangerous spot.
    A gun on board????

This is comical! No one has a problem with a brake caliper, bolted to the rearend, with a rotor spinning through it at high rpms, but they have a problem with a piece of lead bolted to the same bracket with 2 bolts, and nothing spinning inside it! SMH
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I don't normally join into these, but what exactly is "comical"??

You are comparing apples and oranges.

A standard billet brake caliper weighs about 4lbs. Its mounted with 2 grade 5-8 bolts to a billet bracket that is also attached w/ above hardware along w/ being drilled and tapped into the tube itself. It is also tethered by a stainless steel brake line....all of which is done because that is what the design requires.

Lead, weighing between 20-60lbs, can and more importantly IS mounted in some absolutely absurd ways. As posted previously, the "Mounting of Ballast(Lead)" is addressed in EVERY rulebook I've ever seen for ANY class, let alone a national late model series. "ie painted white w/ car# mounted with minimum 2- 3/8" grade 5-8 bolts per 25#"

However, racers, as a generalization will take great liberties and shortcuts when given enough leeway...I've actually seen w/ my own eyes a guy in one of the stock classes mount lead with duct/racer tape...AND ONLY TAPE.

The idea/rule/ruling in this matter, if not for anything else, is to protect the racer from himself, and ultimately his fellow racers, track workers, officials etc. IMO

The only time I have had lead come off is when we bought some grade 8 all thread.We had been using standard all thread from Lowes with no problems.The first piece broke off when the car was just sitting it the shop,Second piece was 20lbs mounted under the drivers feet.Went back to cheap stuff and never broke one again.

Quote Originally Posted by dtlm5 View Post
    I don't normally join into these, but what exactly is "comical"??

A standard billet brake caliper weighs about 4lbs. Its mounted with 2 grade 5-8 bolts to a billet bracket that is also attached w/ above hardware along w/ being drilled and tapped into the tube itself. It is also tethered by a stainless steel brake line....all of which is done because that is what the design requires.

Lead, weighing between 20-60lbs, can and more importantly IS mounted in some absolutely absurd ways. As posted previously, the "Mounting of Ballast(Lead)" is addressed in EVERY rulebook I've ever seen for ANY class, let alone a national late model series. "ie painted white w/ car# mounted with minimum 2- 3/8" grade 5-8 bolts per 25#"

However, racers, as a generalization will take great liberties and shortcuts when given enough leeway...I've actually seen w/ my own eyes a guy in one of the stock classes mount lead with duct/racer tape...AND ONLY TAPE.

The idea/rule/ruling in this matter, if not for anything else, is to protect the racer from himself, and ultimately his fellow racers, track workers, officials etc. IMO
    Very well said. Whole post, spot on.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

As a a owner/driver for 6 decades I can't even begin to count the number of things I've been smacked by that have come off of cars from brake parts to piston chunks to body parts. Two weeks ago I caught half a heim joint in the helmet (brand new) through the screened bars in front of my face. Luckily my eyes and teeth are still in my head but countless face shields, a few helmets and several cuts and bruises later I've reached the conclusion that, many times, the flying parts are more dangerous than the actual racing. You can't do much about broken parts but fastening everything properly, especially lead, is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    They know it WAS "axle tube lead" and they addressed it specifically the next night at the Diamond Nationals during the drivers meeting. It was immediately banned from being mounted to the axle tube (anyone with common sense should know not to mount it there anyway).
    I am not convinced of that. Lead was removed from the racing surface before Steve's incident. As far as post incident, I think there would have been way more helmet damage and a dead Francis had he been hit with lead.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Siding with M-B.....throw a chunk of lead once. What's odds a tire gonna pick up lead and throw it? Mounted properly it ain't going anywhere. I would think though would stress tubes in an incorrect way

[QUOTE=dtlm5;2053940]I don't normally join into these, but what exactly is "comical"??

So as I stated, a piece of lead should be mounted on the same billet bracket with the same size bolts....or did I miss something?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Siding with M-B.....throw a chunk of lead once. What's odds a tire gonna pick up lead and throw it? Mounted properly it ain't going anywhere. I would think though would stress tubes in an incorrect way
    Mounted properly, yes. And a tire can kick up a lot of sh!t. A 20lb piece of lead or so, I'd say no, but a smaller one, yeah.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

And i would bet you that was not what they had to remove.. keep quessing..

I would bet you don't know either. I heard they had a 4B sticker on the fuel cell because that was the only way they would get to throw some dirt on Jackie! It's all for fun but I thought someone might really know.