Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lucas going to Port Royal

I heard that Lucas series will be at Port Royal in 2017. Should be a great race, port royal is awesome

Finally!!! Can't wait for this something other than Winged sprint cars in Central Pa.
    Like I told ya, What I said, STEAL YOUR FACE RIGHT OFF YOUR HEAD!! (Grateful Dead)

Glad to see Port Royal is on the schedule. Now it's time for Williams Grove and Lincoln (PA) speedway to step up and get a Lucas Oil or World of Outlaws sanctioned super late model race!

That wont ever happen.. Honestly.. It wouldn't surprise me if Williams Grove doesn't even schedule late models for those early Friday night shows..

Williams Grove tried a WoO late model show a few years back. Crowd was atrocious. At the Grove especially, if it ain't 410 sprint cars, nobody goes.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I was so looking forward to the start of this season when Williams Grove scheduled the late Models for the first two shows only to see a field of less than 20 late models. The kicker might have been the final race of the season with a RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG race that produced a whopping 7 cars with 6 taking the green flag feature...... However, give props to the Williams Grove management as they still paid the full advertised purse of $2000 to win.

Default lucas

most late model drivers dont even know the grove runs lates. first of all they have a show in april when its 20 degrees at night and even the 410 fan count suffers and the deal at the end of the season was unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Williams Grove tried a WoO late model show a few years back. Crowd was atrocious. At the Grove especially, if it ain't 410 sprint cars, nobody goes.
    You would almost be correct. In 2004 they had a Xtreme race on Goodyears and yes the crowd sucked. They also had LM speedweeks races the first few years of the series and the crowd also sucked. And the reason cars do not come to the regular shows in April is because the purse is terrible. They pay the Late Models a 358 sprint car purse.

You are wrong about the Limited Sprint Car purse. All WG Super Late Model purses have been $2,000 to win shows since 2014.

This is going to be a great show the late model racing at Port Royal is 3 and 4 wide running the top and the bottom. I would expect a early start time being it's on a Sunday night to get people home early. If you have never been to Port Royal then this is a must see show great people, beautiful facility and a awesome surface.

Quote Originally Posted by prodirtcar32 View Post
    You are wrong about the Limited Sprint Car purse. All WG Super Late Model purses have been $2,000 to win shows since 2014.
    I stand corrected. The races have always been great there. I do believe the purse isn't good enough to justify more than a full field these days. To expect more than 20-24 is a dream.

manwplan, I agree. If you look at some of the area tracks that run DLM's on a full time basis, Hagerstown, Winchester, Potomac, Delaware Int'l etc, they seemed to struggle to get full fields for a regular show..... Port Royal & Selinsgrove seemed fine last year......so I guess after thinking about it, getting fields of 18 or 19 cars as a support division at Williams Grove, in early April isn't so bad afterall. I did get to see one of my favorite drivers Gregg Satterlee race and pick up a win.

manwplan, no worries, you were correct that up unto a few years ago the SLM purse was terrible. I just wanted you to know the Grove did make their Super Late Model purse more competitive with the area keeping in mind that when they run they are a support division. The reason why the SLM races are scheduled early and late in the year is because they do not want to interfere with Bedford Speedway's schedule since SLM are their premiere division.

Quote Originally Posted by bighalfmile View Post
    This is going to be a great show the late model racing at Port Royal is 3 and 4 wide running the top and the bottom. I would expect a early start time being it's on a Sunday night to get people home early. If you have never been to Port Royal then this is a must see show great people, beautiful facility and a awesome surface.
    from the map it kinda looks like Florence speedway shape...what size is port royal?
    after hot laps I'll pick the winner

Quote Originally Posted by birky time View Post
    from the map it kinda looks like Florence speedway shape...what size is port royal?
    True half mile.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

It's bigger than Florence, and since recent updates, is a first-class facility.

More upgrades are already started for the 2017 season.

Williams Grove could have successful shows if they actually tried a little harder. The shows they do have are hardly promoted, have small purses, and are treated like a grocery getter class instead of a co-headlining main attraction. Back in the 80's and 90's, they always had the STARS series come in for 1 or 2 races every year as a double bill with the 410 sprints and they were awesome shows that are still talked about today. The Stacker2 series race didn't work as it was held on a rainy weekend in 2004 (scheduled for Sat against all the other area Super late model tracks ..rained out and ran sunday night). They had 3-4 Appalachian Speedweek shows that were good but were ran on a weekday and didn't draw a ton of fans. If they scheduled super lates and ran them on their normal Friday night show and paid at least equal to or more (if a sanctioned series race) what they pay the 410 sprint car class, the place would be packed.
    Last edited by ironboss; 11-03-2016 at 03:43 PM.

Lincoln Speedway (PA) is an awesome track for late model racing and needs to have a couple big shows. They did have the Outlaws in for a show in 2005 won by Tim Mccreadie and 2-3 of the early Appalachian Speedweek shows but nothing recently. Since they already run WOO Sprints, don't think it would be hard to get at least one WOO late model series race a year. Also, I would love to see a Lucas Oil series show there too!