Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The problem at Lincoln and Williams Grove is that the Sprint Car fans in large part are not interested in Super Late Models.

I do agree that there are some "diehards" that only want Sprint Cars but I think the majority of today's fans just want more bang for their buck and enjoy both the super late models and sprint cars. Look at Lincoln Speedway back throughout the 70's and 80's, Hagerstowns Octoberfest, the World Finals at Charlotte, and the success of the shows that Lernerville, Selinsgrove and Port Royal put on every week. I think with a little effort it could work well. And I would think the national series would be all for coming in here and establishing a stronger presence in the Mid Atlantic area.

No surprise here. I posted a thread a few years back where Port Royal was the best track in Pa. and nothing has changed since. If anything, 'The Port' has gone full steam ahead to preserve the title.

I can't really throw shade at Lincoln or Williams Grove for being buggy snobs. It's just too multi-generational. It's how they pay the bills. However, Williams Grove has promised surprises for 2017. Maybe wait and see. Williams Grove has had a tough existence the last decade, at least by Williams Grove standards, not so much by most weekly track standards. But that said, WG is feeling the pressure of economic stagnation and a lessening crowd base.

WG cut back a 50-show schedule in 2015 to 35 events in '16. Central Pa. racing is pretty brutal. It's a very long season generally starting in February and ending late October. WG plans on trimming the 2017 schedule by a show or two, as well. And as a matter of perspective, Port looks stuffed to the gills, give WG the same crowd number and the place looks empty. The difference being how does WG staff for a night like that? It's the little things that can make a race profitable.

I'm just happy Port Royal is doing what they do. 7-8 years ago, I saw some of the most boring WooLM races in history there but the place was SRO and gave the track the extra income to make improvements that have paid off in spades. The track is fast and passing has become commonplace. What more could you want?
    Last edited by PennDirt; 11-04-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

http://lucasdirt.com/home/1798-lucas...nical-bulletin And these rule changes just pretty much eliminated 3/4 of the locals that race weekly at Port.. Plus add the fact you need to buy their RR tires..

Quote Originally Posted by 06Tireman View Post
    http://lucasdirt.com/home/1798-lucas...nical-bulletin And these rule changes just pretty much eliminated 3/4 of the locals that race weekly at Port.. Plus add the fact you need to buy their RR tires..
    Any of the locals that don't enter because they can't afford to meet safety standards probably don't have a shot in hell of winning anyway. The good local teams will all still be there.

Thats the attitude to have.. gzzz

Quote Originally Posted by 06Tireman View Post
    Thats the attitude to have.. gzzz
    No, it's the truth. Anybody who skimps on safety in order to be able to afford to race obviously doesn't have the equipment to even have a chance of making the show, which means probably 2 less backmarkers will show up.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    No, it's the truth. Anybody who skimps on safety in order to be able to afford to race obviously doesn't have the equipment to even have a chance of making the show, which means probably 2 less backmarkers will show up.
    You must be an idiot that sits in the stands, drinks his beer, and has no clue what it takes to operate a race team. Most of the rules are correct and not expensive however the seat rule is way out of line. SFI certification is not necessary to produce a safe seat and more than doubles the cost of the seat. Do you think a small team like Covert's is going to drop a few grand to get SFI approved seats when they have perfectly safe full containment seats sitting there? Understand what things cost and how things actually work before opening your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    You must be an idiot that sits in the stands, drinks his beer, and has no clue what it takes to operate a race team. Most of the rules are correct and not expensive however the seat rule is way out of line. SFI certification is not necessary to produce a safe seat and more than doubles the cost of the seat. Do you think a small team like Covert's is going to drop a few grand to get SFI approved seats when they have perfectly safe full containment seats sitting there? Understand what things cost and how things actually work before opening your mouth.
    Yes, they are. They're not going to skip all sanctioned shows so that they can skimp on safety. You should use common sense before opening your mouth.

Gotta remember.. EVERY race at Port Royal is considers a points race.. So if you want to do good in the points you have to show up to the race.. I would be surprised if they exclude the Lucas Oil race.. They haven't for any other..

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    Yes, they are. They're not going to skip all sanctioned shows so that they can skimp on safety. You should use common sense before opening your mouth.
    No you don't get it. A full containment seat built by a reputable manufacturer is no less safe than an SFI seat. You other than sitting in the stands and giving your blanket observations have no industry connections to get the true feel and information on issues.

BTW when they adjust the rule to remove the SFI label I will be awaiting your mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    No you don't get it. A full containment seat built by a reputable manufacturer is no less safe than an SFI seat. You other than sitting in the stands and giving your blanket observations have no industry connections to get the true feel and information on issues.
    Where did I say I agreed with the rule? Your reading comprehension skills need work. I said that teams that have a legit shot at making sanctioned shows will buy an approved seat so that they can run those shows. And what exactly do you do besides sit in the bleachers?

WoO late models also hitting Port Royal on August 19th.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Port is paying 50K to win for the Tuscarora 50 in 2017 since it's the 50th anniversary. Ever since the board brought back promoter Steve O'Neal, Port Royal has been WFO killin' it.
    RACE HARD RACE OFTEN