Thread: Diagnosis help?

Default Diagnosis help?

Engine started stumbling in center of corner then next lap later it stumbles and died.... Only issue is now no oil pressure when spinning over. Need help what to do

Is it wet sump or dry sump? Is the rotor inside the distributor cap turning when you crank it? If it's wet sump I'd be looking in that area as the distributor turns the oil pump shaft. If dry sump, it's completely different.

Yeah it's wet sump, havent checked to see if its spinning

So it could be a couple of things. It may have sheared the teeth off the distributor gear for some reason...no distributor turning = no oil pump turning. It also could have broken the back of the camshaft off (the gear section that turns the distributor), unless it actually broke the camshaft somewhere between the front and back, which would not be good because it'd undoubtedly bend some valves.

I'd suggest just pulling the distributor out and seeing what the gear looks like on it, then go from there.

Motor issues suck! Good luck!

all so check the pin going through the dist gear, i have seen them shear...

Distributor good, pin good, spins, plugs good, valve train look good...what else lol

Crate motor? No oil pressure, no start? Fuel? Spark? Electric or tube type gauge?

Motor started stumbling and died. Then when I spin back over it doesnt have oil pressure. Mechanical gauge and I checked also with air andit works

I would assume the problems are related but could be two separate issues. Do you have an oil pump primer (drill extension that goes where the distributor sits)? They're relatively cheap. With your oil pressure gage connected try priming the oil pump. You should at least feel it bog down the drill as it produces pressure.

Eliminate one issue then move onto the next.

Track was really rough also

I assume you got the engine issue resolved based on your other thread. Just curious what you found?

for some odd reason, wound up being a coil.... red blaster 2... after further look. they are oil filled and are more likely to go bad vs the epoxy filled coil. oil pressure gauge could of just glitched when i spun the motor afterwards and didnt show pressure. really dont know there but i aint complaining lol