Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Rules Difference

After years of following sprint cars, northeast big block modifieds and more recently dirt late models, I started to recently read about and follow the open wheel modifieds. As OWM's are not prevalent in my neck of the woods, in the mid-atlantic region, can someone tell me in laymen's terms what the basic differences are with the various sanctioning bodies throughout the country, UMP, IMCA, USRA & USMTS? I am assuming it has to do mostly with engines, wheels and body styles? Has the different rules with each group hurt the sport and car counts? In my opinion, the beauty of sprint cars and late models with basically uniformed rules throughout the country, is a car is legal at most tracks other than maybe a tire rule. Excuse me if this seems like a dumb question.

Sprints and late models have their differences also sprints 305 360 410 of course winged non winged late model crates 2 barrell open motors limited and even restricted/; spec motors

UMP, USRA/USMTS are more of an "open" rule packages compared to an IMCA car. USRA/USMTS is the same sanction and rules except for a rpm chip rule. Might be more but that's what I know. USMTS is the touring series and USRA is more of the weekly racing. UMP is somewhat comparable to them. IMCA is almost on their own deal. Motor rules are the biggest difference. It's hard to expain. Lol IMCA did allow a quick change finally a couple of years ago which helped.Tires are the next biggest difference between the three. Each sanction kinda has its own area with a few blend in spots. It would depend on the area to say if it hurts car counts or not.

"UMP, USRA/USMTS are more of an "open" rule packages compared to an IMCA car. USRA/USMTS is the same sanction and rules except for a rpm chip rule. Might be more but that's what I know. USMTS is the touring series and USRA is more of the weekly racing. UMP is somewhat comparable to them. IMCA is almost on their own deal. Motor rules are the biggest difference. It's hard to expain. Lol IMCA did allow a quick change finally a couple of years ago which helped.Tires are the next biggest difference between the three. Each sanction kinda has its own area with a few blend in spots. It would depend on the area to say if it hurts car counts or not."

Thank you....I assumed it was more on those lines

"Sprints and late models have their differences also sprints 305 360 410 of course winged non winged late model crates 2 barrell open motors limited and even restricted/; spec motors"

I was thinking more in terms of 410's and Super late Models which generally follow the same basic rules countrywide. A 410 sprint car from Central Pa could tow to a track in California and be legal to race.

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Sprints and late models have their differences also sprints 305 360 410 of course winged non winged late model crates 2 barrell open motors limited and even restricted/; spec motors
    Litey, That has absolutely nothing to do with what he's asking. He's asking about modifieds, not Sprints and Late Models. Nothing you said even mentioned modifieds nor had anything to do with them. Why don't you go login as $UMP$ and try to answer his question again.

Sometimes it depends on where the money is. Here you have UMP and IMCA. Both of the IMCA tracks get 25-30 cars both pay about $600-650 to win weekly. The UMP tracks get 12-15. They pay around $450-$500 to win weekly. If they are racing for $1k or $1500, guaranteed 25 show up.

I was stating the facts that all classes have their issues thank god we don't have imca but we do get 25 - 30 cars ump style imca cars are slower than our b mods usra ain't much better on ump tires LAST NIGHT HAD 32 A MODS 32 B MODS FOR 1K FOR BOTH

IMCA modified turnkey NEW best of the best 36-42,000
    USMTS modified turnkey NEW 65-75k for average, more money for best of the best

wow......had NO IDEA that modifieds cost that much. I assumed they were in the 20 to 25K range. I think they run for $700 to $800 to win in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    wow......had NO IDEA that modifieds cost that much. I assumed they were in the 20 to 25K range. I think they run for $700 to $800 to win in the Mid-Atlantic region.
    20k will not buy you a new IMCA roller.

Weekly shows around Iowa Nebraska Mn Kansas 250-500 to win...

What you run for has nothing to do with what youll spend to race. You don't win any money fishing, golfing, bowling or most any other hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by BTExpress View Post
    Cost money to run up front weekly. A front running full blown UMP mod can run close to the cost of a LM

Like I said the two IMCA mod tracks here pay $600-650 to win weekly.

^^^Stock car driver would know. Had 2 nice GRT cars, unless I'm mistakenly thinking your someone else. Lol

wow 25 -30 cars for imca 25-30 for 700 to win ump big difference

A couple other items. IMCA and USRA actually tech cars. UMP does NOT tech cars. Also UMP tires are more expensive and do not last as long.

Also UMP is in Hoosiers back pocket 100% so anything Hoosier says on tires is what will happen since hoosier is paying the bills, to believe otherwise is false.

IMCA is steel heads ONLY.

USRA has a few engine options with weight breaks depending on which you run. aluminum heads are allowed.

UMP its run what ya brung for engines in fact used NASCAR motors are in order if you can float it.

In general there is ZERO tech other than body panels.

In UMP since the rules are so wide open no one really techs anything they will show up and look at your belts or cage a little but that its other than body panels.

Beware if UMP tech shows up they will go over your body panels as if your car was part of the Indy 500, but under the hood and suspension anything goes.

IMCA also requires a 1.75" diameter roll cage where others allow 1.50" cages.

Some allow no stock right frame rail where others require it to be no more than 36" from the rear axle.

SPark

Quote Originally Posted by rustymod View Post
    A couple other items. IMCA and USRA actually tech cars. UMP does NOT tech cars. Also UMP tires are more expensive and do not last as long.

Also UMP is in Hoosiers back pocket 100% so anything Hoosier says on tires is what will happen since hoosier is paying the bills, to believe otherwise is false.

IMCA is steel heads ONLY.

USRA has a few engine options with weight breaks depending on which you run. aluminum heads are allowed.

UMP its run what ya brung for engines in fact used NASCAR motors are in order if you can float it.

In general there is ZERO tech other than body panels.

In UMP since the rules are so wide open no one really techs anything they will show up and look at your belts or cage a little but that its other than body panels.

Beware if UMP tech shows up they will go over your body panels as if your car was part of the Indy 500, but under the hood and suspension anything goes.
    I know your primary goal is to put down ump.

But IMCA and USRA are sanctions and they don't tech cars, tech is done at the track level and some tracks do more than others, for the most part at both IMCA and USRA rolling across the scales and checking of the msd chip visually or dial is about all youll see. And of course they might glance at your tires. There are of course a few over achiever tech men here and there, but they are very few and far between.

As car counts drop, TECH also decreases, local tracks don't want to dq a driver and have suspend him and lose that car for xxx weeks as well as his buddies or others who were cheat the same way or more because now they fear being caught.

Rusty mod alway will knock ump its in his blood

Cost money to run up front weekly. A front running full blown UMP mod can run close to the cost of a LM.
    Thank you David stremme.

never seeen stremme win though

Didn't he sell a car of his for 75k last year or the year before? Can't remember for sure. He won with it then some guy bought it.