Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Truck scales are a totally different beast. That is driven by maximum weight on each axle based on the axle spacing of the truck and overall weight. Those weights are set forth by the Federal Highway Department and they set the standards for these measurements. Those standards set the accuracy (how close the scale weighs a known weight) and the tolerance of the scales (how small of a weight the scale must weigh). That's why truck scales are certified even though they may not be used for pay (weigh boys along the interstate) or are used for pay (rock quarry). The Federal Highway Department sets those standards for trucks so everything is equal across the country for those hauling.

All of the rules I've raced under clearly stated that the track scales were the controlling scale. Either by sanction, speech at a drivers meeting or general track rules. Most times we were 5 to 10# different than what we weighed at home. Sometimes we were 25# off. In my experience, most track scales are poorly cared for, not cleaned, not lubricated and not level. I never trusted a track scale so I always had my driver cross the scales before hot laps so we knew where we were.

As far as court, anything goes. You can sue for anything at any time. Get a jury of people that know nothing about scale rules and laws and it becomes the lawyers job to educate them. I've been the defendant (representing my employer) in construction cases that involved weights and measures, who had contract/property control and wrongful death suits. Never lost a case because our lawyer educated himself on the specific issue and then educated the jury. We had proper representation. I do have court experience and have spent time being deposed and been a prime witness that spent a day on the stand. It's a lot of fun (not!).

Guess everyone on here will just need to sit back and wait for an outcome. We don't have a real stake in any of it. I never had a car kicked out for being too light. I've been warned we flirting with it but never DQ for that.

I have also been on the other side of the coin. I am now part of a promotional group. My personal scales have been the track scales this year. When I set them up, I weigh myself on each one and see that it comes out exactly the same. I also know from racing against guys for years who runs heavy, who pushes the limits. I ask a few heavy guys that cross the scales how compare to what they were at home. No complaints so far. We did DQ a car for 5# and he didn't complain. He admitted he was pushing it pretty close. Wasn't for a lot of money but it was still a DQ.

Racers are generally well informed to what their cars are doing weight wise. The exception to that would be losing a weight while racing. At that point it becomes a non issue since they will be DQ for losing the weight most likely.

Some of you people need to get out from behind a keyboard and actually build a race car, maintain and set up a race car, work at a track, be an official, get some real experience at this stuff. It's a lot more interesting if you actually do it.

JMO,
    SPark
    Last edited by LM14; 11-04-2016 at 01:10 AM.

They almost had to put his dad in a straight jacket.. lol but shannon knew what made him light after he got to thinking about it.. that loss cost him big, but it taught us to get the weight of every engine..

Quote Originally Posted by LM14 View Post
    Truck scales are a totally different beast. That is driven by maximum weight on each axle based on the axle spacing of the truck and overall weight. Those weights are set forth by the Federal Highway Department and they set the standards for these measurements. Those standards set the accuracy (how close the scale weighs a known weight) and the tolerance of the scales (how small of a weight the scale must weigh). That's why truck scales are certified even though they may not be used for pay (weigh boys along the interstate) or are used for pay (rock quarry). The Federal Highway Department sets those standards for trucks so everything is equal across the country for those hauling. All of the rules I've raced under clearly stated that the track scales were the controlling scale. Either by sanction, speech at a drivers meeting or general track rules. Most times we were 5 to 10# different than what we weighed at home. Sometimes we were 25# off. In my experience, most track scales are poorly cared for, not cleaned, not lubricated and not level. I never trusted a track scale so I always had my driver cross the scales before hot laps so we knew where we were. As far as court, anything goes. You can sue for anything at any time. Get a jury of people that know nothing about scale rules and laws and it becomes the lawyers job to educate them. I've been the defendant (representing my employer) in construction cases that involved weights and measures, who had contract/property control and wrongful death suits. Never lost a case because our lawyer educated himself on the specific issue and then educated the jury. We had proper representation. I do have court experience and have spent time being deposed and been a prime witness that spent a day on the stand. It's a lot of fun (not!). Guess everyone on here will just need to sit back and wait for an outcome. We don't have a real stake in any of it. I never had a car kicked out for being too light. I've been warned we flirting with it but never DQ for that. I have also been on the other side of the coin. I am now part of a promotional group. My personal scales have been the track scales this year. When I set them up, I weigh myself on each one and see that it comes out exactly the same. I also know from racing against guys for years who runs heavy, who pushes the limits. I ask a few heavy guys that cross the scales how compare to what they were at home. No complaints so far. We did DQ a car for 5# and he didn't complain. He admitted he was pushing it pretty close. Wasn't for a lot of money but it was still a DQ. Racers are generally well informed to what their cars are doing weight wise. The exception to that would be losing a weight while racing. At that point it becomes a non issue since they will be DQ for losing the weight most likely. Some of you people need to get out from behind a keyboard and actually build a race car, maintain and set up a race car, work at a track, be an official, get some real experience at this stuff. It's a lot more interesting if you actually do it. JMO, SPark
    great post except a lawsuit like this in hand can cripple the racing industry , which some say its not doing real good at this time with low car counts and low crowds , all I will say be careful what you ask for

Whatever the outcome of the lawsuit........things are getting looked at differently, big time promoters realize this can happen,and are tightening up their programs.

Tires are being looked at differently and whether anyone wants to admit it I bet scales at tracks are being checked a little more by the owners and series to ensure its a non issue going forward etc......bottom line, it's a great wake up call for the sport.

I don't think the suit has a chance in hell, but the sport is better today because of it......IMO.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

And some people including drivers can't read the rule book just saying

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    And some people including drivers can't read the rule book just saying
    Like you with the English language.........they can read it, they just can't comprehend it.

But I comprehend the rule book unlike bloomeriod or you

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    Yet have great difficulty with newtons rules and laws of motion( the sidewalk incident) and even greater difficulty with the rules of English grammar.

Both require comprehension to understand how they work..........but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    Some Men take responsibility for their actions, even when it hurts. Babb has respect for him self.
    Now now bubsterton!

Quote Originally Posted by perverton View Post
    perveton, you don't know it but you are making more people turn into Bloomquist fans, because you make the other side look stupid!!! hahhahahahaah
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 11-04-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    perveton, you don't know it but you are making more people turn into Bloomquist fans, because you make the other side look stupid!!! hahhahahahaah
    that may be but, Centeroff is more than balancing those scales!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by perverton View Post
    What about 4M's rule book?

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    that may be but, Centeroff is more than balancing those scales!
    The scales are off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    The scales are off!!!
    well done!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard