Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

im pretty sure weaver, shirley and madden all run joie seats. Not saying that has anything to with it because ive actually been thinking about ordering one at PRI, but that is a common denominator. I believe all were also in longhorns when they got their concussions

If I'm not mistaken,"Blunt force trauma to the neck" would be something striking the neck directly or the neck striking something directly, neither has anything to do with basil skull fracture(which is what HANS is designed for). HANS protects ONLY straight ahead, FC designed for side impacts and keeping you stationary.

"According to his team, Leffler was wearing a Simpson Hybrid head and neck restraint system, which is one of six approved for use in NASCAR. A blunt force injury occurs when an object strikes the body with force causing compression of tissue. Head and neck restraints are designed to prevent injuries resulting from deceleration trauma when the body is moving and strikes another moving or stationary object, causing stretching or tearing of body tissue."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ascar/2421945/
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 11-03-2016 at 07:31 AM.

i used a lajoie seat in a north east modified and they have the hardest head padding ive used with alot of clearance for the head, accually taped and tied extra foam on the head rest

A blunt force injury can also occur from over applied preasure. No impact from a foreign object is needed. It was another way of saying he broke his neck.

My point was I feel that the neck restraint was what caused the motion that negated the injury due to not having a side support. Think of it like the cracking of a whip.

this is a good thread, its got me doing some thinking. I think ill break out the TIG this winter and see what i can concoct. i am concerned about ones head being able to make contact with the wall , so you have to have something for that, but i dont think you have to be as radical as some of the seats ive looked at, along with protection , ive got to be able to see.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gray View Post
    A blunt force injury can also occur from over applied pressure. No impact from a foreign object is needed. It was another way of saying he broke his neck.

My point was I feel that the neck restraint was what caused the motion that negated the injury due to not having a side support. Think of it like the cracking of a whip.
    The quote above was from a "Professional", you can read the article at the link if you want to for clarification, the seat in the pictures... All I can speak to is what the professionals say in the article. If your 100% Pro-FC, thats fine, I think the concept has merit, but I think there is room for some questions as to that they may be causing harm as well as impeding exit during rollover and/or fire situations.

I'm still looking at FC seats, nets and alternatives, but I'm a big fan of USAC Non-wing sprints too, well last night I was watching some videos from Indiana Sprint week. I noticed several that had taken off the LS head support in favor of a net or had cut the head support back substantially. On some others they showed some roll over footage and you could see where the head support area was widened out so the head didn't ping-pong so much. With the cars being non-wing you could get a better idea of whats happening and how guys who roll over a lot deal with it. Dave Darland had removed his LS head support in favor of sprint window net. Check out some of the "Loudpedal" videos. Here's a link to one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvvHsxkjQc

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    I'm still looking at FC seats, nets and alternatives, but I'm a big fan of USAC Non-wing sprints too, well last night I was watching some videos from Indiana Sprint week. I noticed several that had taken off the LS head support in favor of a net or had cut the head support back substantially. On some others they showed some roll over footage and you could see where the head support area was widened out so the head didn't ping-pong so much. With the cars being non-wing you could get a better idea of whats happening and how guys who roll over a lot deal with it. Dave Darland had removed his LS head support in favor of sprint window net. Check out some of the "Loudpedal" videos. Here's a link to one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvvHsxkjQc
    Not a sprint car guy at all, but I do believe the more major concern in a sprint car crash is back injuries from flipping and landing on the wheels and compressing the back. I'm pretty sure Darin Pitman was the first to have rubber mounts (sort of) that mounted his seat. Not sure how effective that is or how common it is now but was told several followed suit and have similar deals as what Pittman did.

Thumbs up Keep the conversation going!

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Not a sprint car guy at all, but I do believe the more major concern in a sprint car crash is back injuries from flipping and landing on the wheels and compressing the back. I'm pretty sure Darin Pitman was the first to have rubber mounts (sort of) that mounted his seat. Not sure how effective that is or how common it is now but was told several followed suit and have similar deals as what Pittman did.
    Thank you for your response. I think someone offers impact absorbing seat bottoms as well. Check out the video, you don't have to be a sprint car fan, but Indiana Sprint week is on my bucket list.

So who uses which seat?

Whats the best lay back?

Why did you choose the seat you chose?

I would like to hear more responses from those that have the containment seat and the Hans as far as entering and exiting the car with all stuff still on ... With the opening to get in and out of the car being closed up even more ... I am a pretty tall and heavier guy so getting in and out with a sprint type window net is already a problem ... Now being required to run a containment seat and Hans is scary .... Thinking of adding a "sunroof" flip type access panel to get in and out ... Thoughts

My last race of 2016 included a circumstance in which I had to exit quickly with everything still on (I have a full containment seat and neck restraint). It was not smooth to say the least. It didn't help that the track worker was pulling me from behind. I had an older chassis (only 26 1/4" halo height from the floor) and I am about 6'01" 230 lbs.

I actually removed my window net this past year after having run one my entire racing career. I figured with the shoulder supports of the seat there was little to no chance of my arm ever getting out the window, and I've honestly never been "saved" of anything by the net. I removed it so there was one less thing to worry about in an emergency.

I now have a newer car with a taller cage (around 28 1/4" halo height). I also run a 1" spacer under the right side (bottom) of my seat to help with fatigue while racing. I think that helps, if even just a little, because the seat is angled/tipped to the left, towards the window.

While on the subject, has anyone seen in writing what they are accepting as far as seats go this year? I've been told a containment seat is enough, but haven't seen any amendment to the rules.