Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Jimmie Johnson Wins Martinsville!!!

Just read where Jimmie won convincingly at Martinsville, Virginia over the weekend!! What was this his 80th win or something like that?

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy or a better driver! Class & dignity all the way and by far the best driver since David Pearson!!

I have a question for the gimmick lovers here (front and center gimmick boy muddy!). According to what I read Jimmie is locked into the silly gimmick race that will determine the bogus Cup championship. What is stopping the 48 team from opting to set out the next couple races and get ready for the last race that determines the whole season championship (which is bull$hit!). Taking 3 weeks to get ready for the one race championship might give them the edge in winning it. Ya' never know, some idiot like pee wee jr. might run out of talent and cause Jimmie to wreck and get hurt in the remaining 2 races before Homestead. Why not play it safe and have the car super prepared for the last gimmick race with no chance of Jimmie being caught up in something bad prior to Homestead?

It's okay to miss races and still win the championship, isn't it? It's been done before and in a much bigger way. The championship is already a sham but I'd still like to see one of the greatest drivers and a class act win another (7th) championship, so what is there to lose?
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-01-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Yeah Pearson did

jimmy is a class act its ashame he drives for a cheater

It appears that the NASCAR gimmick boy has swallowed his tongue. LOLOL!!

Your the gimmick

The points don t mean anything till last race Tulsa boy

The pat answer: you're an imbecile and you don't know what you're talking about!! LOLOL!!

I agree with the idea that Johnson will now lay off and work on the Homestead car. There is no reason not to. But that's a privilege he earned by winning at Martinsville. Just like the guy who wins next weekend, if it gets him qualified to race for the Championship at Homestead, has earned the extra weeks to work on the Homestead car instead of focusing on getting into the final four to race for it at Homestead.

Winning has it's perks in this format, which quite frankly, I think is only fair. No matter what system you put in place, guys are going to analyze it and figure out what is in their best interests strategy wise.

NASCAR said when they introduced this they wanted to reward winning, not just riding around gathering points. Kinda looks to me like it works. Johnson won at Martinsville, his reward is now being in a position to focus on Homestead instead of the next race. He is being rewarded for winning when he needed to.

I'm not concerned with the gimmicks and/or perks of winning beyond the fact that I have the utmost respect for Jimmie and his being, by all accounts, a really good man and the greatest driver since Pearson.

What I'm concerned with is if it's possible for the #48 team to not even show up to the next 2 races. Just don't attempt to even qualify. Stay home at the shop and concentrate 100% on getting the #48 car ready.

As I indicated in the previous post, every time a driver goes out onto the racetrack he risks possible injury. There are a bunch of guys driving that may be short on talent that could cause problems for Jimmy that might jeopardize his chances for a 7th Cup title.

If pee wee jr. isn't required to participate in all the races and still be given the championship why would Jimmie have to run 2 races that will do him no particular good in his pursuit of a 7th Cup championship. Especially since he's fulfilled the gimmick requirements of being one of the only 4 drivers eligible to win the championship in the final race. Even if he wins both the races prior to Homestead it won't benefit him in the least. Why bother?

NASCAR has gimmicked up the Cup division to the point that a championship can be won without competing in 1/3 or the season, why can't the #48 be given a couple of races to rest up and get ready?

AS a veteran racing fan I am sure you know that there is no way a team can take a week off. There is this thing called sponsorship. I am no fan of Johnson, but I look for him to win Texas or at least finish in the top three. He has a tremendous team and crew chief. I also give him about an 80% chance of winning in Florida. They will put him in the fastest car and give him everything he needs. You do not win championships in the chase format without having the best cars and luck when you need it. The 48 has both, and they are not beatable heads up. IOW he will have to have some back luck not win the championship, he will not be outrun.

AS for the chase itself, I don't really mind it. But teams win championships. There are a lot of great drivers out there, but they become very ordinary when their cars aren't fast enough or the teams let them down. Just the way it is.

Nascrap sucks real season ended last weekend in Charlotte no gimmicks no asphalt either

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    AS a veteran racing fan I am sure you know that there is no way a team can take a week off. There is this thing called sponsorship.
    I really don't know that. I will reference you back to last year when pee wee jr. missed 11 races and was still given the championship. Sponsorship? If a team is on the cusp of a championship I'm thinking something might be worked out. All eyes will be on Jimmie at Homestead which just might make up for taking a couple of weeks off.

I am being partially facetious but partially not, too. If competing in all the races is not a requirement (see pee wee last year) for being given a championship why would Jimmie be compelled by NASCAR to participate in the two races prior to Homestead when he's already assured to be part of the gimmick of the last race, sponsorship not withstanding. What would be the point of NASCAR's further hypocrisy. I can see how sponsorship could be a factor but NASCAR has already created a precedence that all the races need not be participated in. Jimmie really has little to race for. Even if he were to win both races that pales in comparison to being on a par with The King's 7 titles in spite of the gimmicked up BS that determines today's champions.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    I am no fan of Johnson, but I look for him to win Texas or at least finish in the top three.
    I sense you hold a fair amount of contempt for Jimmie and the success he's enjoyed over the years. I fail to comprehend what it is that would is so distasteful about a guy who is lauded one of the greatest drivers in the history of stock car racing and is by all accounts a very, very good human being by anyone's standards. Yet on the other hand so deeply align with someone like Stewart and vehemently defend the indefensible. Very interesting stance, I must say.
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-02-2016 at 02:11 PM.

Jimmy. Johnson 's crew chief and owner are cheats but Jimmy is a real classy guy give me a break and boring as he11

I'll answer your question CIRF.....money, and final points position. Also, I just read where Montoya signed a deal to drive a 5th Penske car at Indy in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by formercrewguy View Post
    I'll answer your question CIRF.....money, and final points position. Also, I just read where Montoya signed a deal to drive a 5th Penske car at Indy in 2017.
    The money aspect I understand but how is the final points tally a factor. The final points rankings for the top 4 are determined by where they finish at Homestead, are they not? I'll admit I don't pay much attention to the gimmicks but that scenario is the only one that makes any sense. Of course making sense isn't something NASCAR is known for.

sense or common sense does not compute in racing on any level

Quote Originally Posted by calverton View Post
    sense or common sense does not compute in racing on any level
    Or anything you post on any level.

I watched the race, a little boring actually, probably cause of the timing and scoring fiasco.... Cousin Carl really screwed the pooch when his tire broke a belt.... JJ did good... no problem with him, he did his job.... with out that yellow, probably be a Gibbs care I winners circle...

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger47 View Post
    I watched the race, a little boring actually, probably cause of the timing and scoring fiasco.... Cousin Carl really screwed the pooch when his tire broke a belt.... JJ did good... no problem with him, he did his job.... with out that yellow, probably be a Gibbs care I winners circle...
    Come on muddy! You're the resident gimmick expert and NASCAR water carrier. Could Jimmie just not show up at the next two races? Is there any reason he should be required to do so since he has nothing to gain and everything to lose? Those of us who are aren't up to speed on the gimmicks would like to know.

You are too funny CIRF. I gave you one post you were looking for and that is all you are going to get.
    You can now remove the tongue out of your cheek. LOL