Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That guy was very smart.Late models are a lot more complicated that stock cars, maybe I should bust out a 12 pack next time I'm setting up mine.

i love old school garage stories like that. gives a simple guy like me hope. still trying to figure out how im gonna come up with $1000 for scales after building a brand new car
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

You need Ruggles scales...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchead84 View Post
    i love old school garage stories like that. gives a simple guy like me hope. still trying to figure out how im gonna come up with $1000 for scales after building a brand new car
    You buy someone (like me) some beer and borrow them for a weekend.

You can find decent used ones for $500/600 too.

Are you going to the Bako swap meet in January?

most likely.. haven't found anything in that price range worth buying..yet id be more than willing to trade beer for scale time... who is this?
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

Grain scales that weigh up to a 1000 lbs was at one time cutting edge tech. They still work and if you can find them they are usually cheap. Just use a known weigh and calibrate them. Also make sure the they are level with each other. It's hard to overcome shortage of money, I know. But be smart with what you have and you will be surprised what you can do!

2 pieces of cardboard and a good tire gauge and you can get the weights pretty close without scales. Figure the Square Inches of the contact patch and X by the tire pressure.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Decco hydraulic wheel weight scale, $189.99 from Speedway Motors. Old school and low tech but if you can add/subtract it'll work. Back in the day everyone had one.

Scale prices have came way down you can buy good quality wired scales for 800 even less in some cases.

I went back and looked at you original post and my thoughts are you might help drive off the corner with a 225 rr spring and a 3/3 rr shock. We had a lot of luck with a stiff rr spring and soft shock, especially on a rough track.

got the first of two cars on the scales last night. we were able to create a starting point of 48% cross, 53% left and 53% rear total weight 3345. class req. 3200 minimum.. question is, how can i get the total weight down w/o compromising the percentages??
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

were also looking to bring the cross up above 50%
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

What size lowering blocks for the rear springs are you using? How much fuel to get 53% rear? Lots of variables to get the %'s right.

2" backspace wheels on both front tires and left rear. 1/2" spacer on left rear 1/4" spacer on the left front . 3" backspace on RR. 225/70r15 tires on left side. 223/70r15 right side. 25lbs in right side tires, 17 lbs in left side. 1" lowering block on both left and right rear. this is our basic dry track main event set up. 12 gallons of fuel.
    Last edited by Wrenchead84; 03-02-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

got the first of two cars on the scales last night. we were able to create a starting point of 48% cross, 53% left and 53% rear total weight 3345. class req. 3200 minimum.. question is, how can i get the total weight down w/o compromising the percentages??
    look for 100 ways to remove a pound instead of 20 to remove 5. Stock cars have a lot of needed sheetmetal.

OK I HAVE NUMBERS TO POST, on the second car. this one is not a new car. just finished doing a back half. total weight 3350lb. left percentage 54%. rear percentage 51.3%. cross 51.7%. bite 194lbs. this is with 25lb of air in both right side tires 15lbs in LF. and 17lbs. in LR. 2" offset wheels on fronts and LR and 3" offset on RR.
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

in response to this car. car drove great. its a crate motor car so it had good traction and nice pull out of the corner. handled really nice. i wont be the regular driver so i will these this one be as the reg driver is new to the class
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!

OK I HAVE NUMBERS TO POST, on the second car. this one is not a new car. just finished doing a back half. total weight 3350lb. left percentage 54%. rear percentage 51.3%. cross 51.7%. bite 194lbs. this is with 25lb of air in both right side tires 15lbs in LF. and 17lbs. in LR. 2" offset wheels on fronts and LR and 3" offset on RR.
    this car drove in decent but was loose off. we ran the setup above with 1/4" spacer in LF and LR.
    LEAF SPRING NATION!!