Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rumley LR

Thumbs up Knee Jerk Reactions always end badly.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    My opinion is your fear is completely misplaced. You have no idea to what degree their new parts were maximized. You have no idea the costs that have been added by changing the size of the box but not removing the knowledge gained. The rule changes were like a McCarthy era red scare. It limited the evolution of the car to a better machine, as should have happened.

It started us down a slope where people demand rule changes every time a guy wins most of the races.

And, Kevin is smart sure. But he couldn't even keep Davenport from being mad because the car was so bad at times this year. One super idea doesn't make an unbeatable super genius. Why couldn't that genius, with all the new technology he supposedly thrust upon the sport, engineer and test his way to victory?

And what about those people who said the late season rainouts saved Davenport from losing the 2015 title? He wasn't exactly smoking everyone at the end of that season. You don't make rules on what you think will happen. You make rules based on facts. Things you know.
    Very well said.............................................. .................................................. ..

My personal opinion is that if JD had been in the #116 all year instead of the #6 that he very well may have repeated his Lucas title. If you read Rumley's parting comments after getting singled out by Lucas he never felt welcome with the tour again and it never was his intention to follow the tour. So you add it up and you have a car owner/crew chief who doesn't want to do what he's doing, he feels like he was put under extra scrutiny and singled out for being smart and having an education, he's newly married and things aren't going well. Motors are blowing, brakes are failing, parts are falling off and everyone is looking to you to duplicate the magic of the previous season. The driver is getting pissed for all the same reasons and all that hard work isn't fun anymore. In hindsight I wish JD and Company had come up short, maybe them the powers that be wouldn't rewritten the rules in Knee-jerk fashion because an exceptionally talented driver and team got on a hot streak. Moyer has done it many times, Bloomquist has done it many times, but because this group(Davenport & Rumley's) were viewed as outsiders from nowhere, they rewrote the rules for what I only consider to be a single season hot streak, a perfect storm.
    Last edited by Stede Bonnet; 11-06-2016 at 01:08 PM.

I think Shirley would be a great fit in the 6 car.

Quote Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
    Very well said.............................................. .................................................. ..

My personal opinion is that if JD had been in the #116 all year instead of the #6 that he very well may have repeated his Lucas title. If you read Rumley's parting comments after getting singled out by Lucas he never felt welcome with the tour again and it never was his intention to follow the tour. So you add it up and you have a car owner/crew chief who doesn't want to do what he's doing, he feels like he was put under extra scrutiny and singled out for being smart and having an education, he's newly married and things aren't going well. Motors are blowing, brakes are failing, parts are falling off and everyone is looking to you to duplicate the magic of the previous season. The driver is getting pissed for all the same reasons and all that hard work isn't fun anymore. In hindsight I wish JD and Company had come up short, maybe them the powers that be wouldn't rewritten the rules in Knee-jerk fashion because an exceptionally talented driver and team got on a hot streak. Moyer has done it many times, Bloomquist has done it many times, but because this group(Davenport & Rumley's) were viewed as outsiders from nowhere, they rewrote the rules for what I only consider to be a single season hot streak, a perfect storm.

Pretty good acessment there. Im thinking your right on alot of things here
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I think you pretty well spoke the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth in this statement right here Stede... Kevin Rumley is one of the Smartest if not thee Smartest Engineer to ever step into the Dirt Racing World and turn it upside down! All Good thing's come to an end though and everyone on this team hit the ground running with the exception of Leroy he hit the ground with that easy step of his... They will all be ok..
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by SFrancisFan15 View Post
    I think Shirley would be a great fit in the 6 car.

I would agree with you SfrancisFan if they purchased a couple new Longhorn's for him to drive..... Because the 2 that they have now i would Venture to say are about worn out From JD " Have NO Fear " Davenport Running them Hard 2 yr's straight....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty55 View Post
    I would agree with you SfrancisFan if they purchased a couple new Longhorn's for him to drive..... Because the 2 that they have now i would Venture to say are about worn out From JD " Have NO Fear " Davenport Running them Hard 2 yr's straight....
    If they were running 2 year old "Tour" cars, then that explains a lot, Gizmo or No-Gizmo. They may be well designed cars, but they've been well used too. Very few cars today are built to last that long running at that level, Bloomquist Zero cars are the only ones I know of built to last multiple seasons, the rest are "Crash & Trash" as far as I know.

It seems to me Davenport had lost his edge about halfway through last year. Bloomquist had got on a roll and dominated the last half. Most likely he would have won the championship if the last 2 races hadn't been rained out. JD ended up winning by only 55 pts.

Also, it could have been politics talkin, but JD in a Speedweek interview, claimed they were working in other areas and the lr was a smokescreen!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    My opinion is your fear is completely misplaced. You have no idea to what degree their new parts were maximized. You have no idea the costs that have been added by changing the size of the box but not removing the knowledge gained. The rule changes were like a McCarthy era red scare. It limited the evolution of the car to a better machine, as should have happened.

It started us down a slope where people demand rule changes every time a guy wins most of the races.

And, Kevin is smart sure. But he couldn't even keep Davenport from being mad because the car was so bad at times this year. One super idea doesn't make an unbeatable super genius. Why couldn't that genius, with all the new technology he supposedly thrust upon the sport, engineer and test his way to victory?

And what about those people who said the late season rainouts saved Davenport from losing the 2015 title? He wasn't exactly smoking everyone at the end of that season. You don't make rules on what you think will happen. You make rules based on facts. Things you know.
    Fear, fear implies personal, what these guys do doesn't affect me personally.

They admitted freely why they were off this year. The rule changes threw them for a loop, and then they chased their tails in the 6 and never really gained that magic back. They got too far away from square one.

I think, which I know you don't agree with the rule changes anyhow, that because they started off this year still good, they thought they were still kosher. And before they knew it, season is in full swing and they started running like any normal driver. Then the frustrations kick in, impatience, blame game, and on and on.

I don't think he whipped up anything else because he didn't have ample time to test anything, the new rules, and by the time it was evident they weren't unstoppable anymore, they were frustrated and burnt out with each other.

He had that 2015 championship won, had the gap been closed, yes, but he had it. Yes you don't like the rules, I do, and if they can find something obvious on Bloomers car, take a look at ways to curtail it too.

While at the same time walking that fine line to NOT BE NASCAR. No dam NASCAR.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Cool

Pretty good post.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

No doubt the design Rumley had last year was revolutionary. However answer me this, where was his genius the past 15 years running the 6 car? Everyone acts like he burst on the seen as an engineer in 2015. The truth is he is a smart guy that stumbled onto something period. Just like Skip Arp was a smart guy that stumbled onto something back in 1998. Just like most successful racers are smart guys that stumble onto things.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    No doubt the design Rumley had last year was revolutionary. However answer me this, where was his genius the past 15 years running the 6 car? Everyone acts like he burst on the seen as an engineer in 2015. The truth is he is a smart guy that stumbled onto something period. Just like Skip Arp was a smart guy that stumbled onto something back in 1998. Just like most successful racers are smart guys that stumble onto things.
    He didn't work on the late model till 2014 I believe. Kevin that is

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    2015 was the first year Kevin Rumley raced full time to make a living. He left his day job at CV products with savings to run 1 season full bore. Kevin has worked on his dads car since he was little, a long time. I don't think he stumbled on to it(the device), he just made time to realize the design he had. I believe Lanigan had a similar contraption on his cars when he was hot in 13' or 14', but it wasn't as sophisticated or elaborate as the Rumley piece. 2016 his heart wasn't in it and the equipment was exhausted from everything I've read that's been written or conveyed thru interviews. I'm glad its over, just hate the BS rules that resulted from it. Any breakthroughs or increases in performance will only be more expensive and require engineers, data acquisition and testing from here on.

2015 was the first year Kevin Rumley raced full time to make a living. He left his day job at CV products with savings to run 1 season full bore. Kevin has worked on his dads car since he was little, a long time. I don't think he stumbled on to it(the device), he just made time to realize the design he had. I believe Lanigan had a similar contraption on his cars when he was hot in 13' or 14', but it wasn't as sophisticated or elaborate as the Rumley piece. 2016 his heart wasn't in it and the equipment was exhausted from everything I've read that's been written or conveyed thru interviews. I'm glad its over, just hate the BS rules that resulted from it. Any breakthroughs or increases in performance will only be more expensive and require engineers, data acquisition and testing from here on.
    Why all the sugarcoating? Rumley left CV to take over Longhorn Chassis. The "racing for a living" just isn't true. It's a huge advantage for producing their product, and in turn gave him and JD the track time and seat time to continue to develop their product. You stated " his heart wasn't in it"....why not? He surely couldn't be burned out after only two seasons. 20 or 30 or more of his competitors have been doing it for multiple decades....... With less resources. He develops a suspension piece that got him an advantage, they ran with it, and had a huge amount of success. Hats off to him! But he's no different than anyone else. He's a sore loser. No other way to describe it. Now what? Is he going to stop building Longhorns?

I just don't get it. Pull the boots on, put that big brain to work and prove to the DLM world your past success isn't hinged on one suspension piece. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Senroc-Systems View Post
    Why all the sugarcoating? Rumley left CV to take over Longhorn Chassis. The "racing for a living" just isn't true. It's a huge advantage for producing their product, and in turn gave him and JD the track time and seat time to continue to develop their product. You stated " his heart wasn't in it"....why not? He surely couldn't be burned out after only two seasons. 20 or 30 or more of his competitors have been doing it for multiple decades....... With less resources. He develops a suspension piece that got him an advantage, they ran with it, and had a huge amount of success. Hats off to him! But he's no different than anyone else. He's a sore loser. No other way to describe it. Now what? Is he going to stop building Longhorns?

I just don't get it. Pull the boots on, put that big brain to work and prove to the DLM world your past success isn't hinged on one suspension piece. JMO
    Took over Longhorn? That just isn't true. That is the Labonte's business.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Fear, fear implies personal, what these guys do doesn't affect me personally.

They admitted freely why they were off this year. The rule changes threw them for a loop, and then they chased their tails in the 6 and never really gained that magic back. They got too far away from square one.

I think, which I know you don't agree with the rule changes anyhow, that because they started off this year still good, they thought they were still kosher. And before they knew it, season is in full swing and they started running like any normal driver. Then the frustrations kick in, impatience, blame game, and on and on.

I don't think he whipped up anything else because he didn't have ample time to test anything, the new rules, and by the time it was evident they weren't unstoppable anymore, they were frustrated and burnt out with each other.

He had that 2015 championship won, had the gap been closed, yes, but he had it. Yes you don't like the rules, I do, and if they can find something obvious on Bloomers car, take a look at ways to curtail it too.

While at the same time walking that fine line to NOT BE NASCAR. No dam NASCAR.
    What you are asking for is exactly what NASCAR has become. Expect more of it this winter. I am unsure how technically aware you are with the cars.

What do you like about the rules, exactly? There are essentially two rules now. "We would like you to run a spec car, but we wont build you a car." "If your car goes too fast, we will write more rules."
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 11-08-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Does that need to be re-phrased for you? He excepted a job at Longhorn .....as the top guy. He brought an engineering mentality, along with free reign design wise to help their struggling chassis business. Is that better for you. You and I both know what I meant......

Quote Originally Posted by Senroc-Systems View Post
    Does that need to be re-phrased for you? He excepted a job at Longhorn .....as the top guy. He brought an engineering mentality, along with free reign design wise to help their struggling chassis business. Is that better for you. You and I both know what I meant......
    He doesn't work at Longhorn, to my knowledge. He took a contract to redesign the car. He did. Job over.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Which is why it is 100% plausible he did the same thing at Rocket.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

MB......did you see the Casebolt thread where I named two members by username, to explain a very complicated question being asked on one of the best threads we've had in a long time? Did you wonder why I mentioned your name? Because it's obvious you're very knowledgeable on the technological advances in our sport. I admire that. I look forward to seeing your responses, because they're helpful. It's also obvious you can't afford to compete anymore, and that has made you bitter. You are not the only talented guy out there who is in that boat. There are hundreds of us, so don't be nasty to everyone who's opinion differs from your own.

Quote Originally Posted by cutman View Post
    And you would be wrong. I remember him working on the 6 as far back as 2004 when Steve Lucas drove it. I've seen pictures on Dod of him in victory lane in 2011 when Shaver drove it. So where in the world other than making crap up could you possibly come up with that answer?

And to Stede I don't give a crap when he started "full time". You mean his genius only kicked it when he went "full time" in 2015. BS!