Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shock mounting on left rear

What are the thoughts of mounting the left rear shock to the top of the bird cage on a 4/4 car . Basically it's attached to the left upper bar at the bird cage mounting point ,has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by 55modified; 11-04-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Pierce l/m have the shock mount on top the rear end, beside the birdcage.

Ther is a guy in Texas that runs his LR shock mounted vertically with the bottom mount on top of the axle tube. This is on an IMCA Modified. He is usually in the top four with it.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

are you talking about basicaly turning the birdcage upside down so shock mount is on top? Then mounting shock on front side, to take advantage of indexing (increased shaft speed)?

I tried to upload a pic but no luck. I just added a longer bolt on the top of the bird cage (the one that the upper four bar is on ) I seen it on a GRT modified . Seems like it might work just wondering if any one liked it.

Default Got a pic

Here is the pic. Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

whats the lower chain for? To limit roll steer?

Quote Originally Posted by GRT62 View Post
    whats the lower chain for? To limit roll steer?
    It's more for if the lower bar or upper chain breaks so the rear end doesn't move too far forward and slam the drive shaft into trans.

That pic he did that just messing around you would not want to mount the shock to the birdcage itself make a bracket and make it attach to the axle tube next to the birdcage is the proper way to do it... I currently have it on my car and it works well but it's all about having the correct shock valving

what type of valving would you have if it's mounted on the axle tube?

Probably stiffer because of the reduce shaft speed between axle tube mounting and BC mounted in front.

We have our shock mounted on top of the rear end at top of the birdcage. There is no difference if you know what you're doing. Nothing is different at all too or bottom if located in the same motion ratio location. It's this Leroy Washington bs that everyone see this cr@p at. It's a kid who made the (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) page who has no friends.

This setup is kinda slick in the fact that is providing half of the damping in the x direction (front to back) and half in the y direction (up and down) assuming the shock is angled 60 degrees relative to the ground and the connection point on the chassis. In a linkage system you develop the most force on the system when your angle of transmission is 90 degrees relative to each other (in this case the top link relative to the shock which looks somewhere around 70 is degrees). What this means is that shock will be doing the most work in the x direction instead of the y direction. I would assume (just my opinion) the theory behind this setup is to help the car get up on the bar but dampen the bar motion rather than dampen the motion of the axle. Its almost like this setup is trying to perform the same task as a shock on the pullbar.
    Last edited by dkibel; 11-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.

I know someone that is running a deal like this.
    only been beat if he had a flat tire or broken axle since he put it on.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

What is the point of the chain on the birdcage?

I was trying to figure out the chain on the birdcage as well. Wouldn't having the two chains be redundant?

He said it was in case a bar broke
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

We chain just the birdcage as we dont want the chain affecting rear end rotation with the pull bar.

would this work on a bmod....3link setup?

If you notice the inside axle tube chain is loose still, and the bird cage chain is tight.

So this is telling me that there trying to pit the birdcage chain against the spring on the back of the birdcage. That should apply more and more pressure to the LR tire as he picks up the throttle, sort of like a Rumley device.

The more the car trys to climb the bars, via the bar angle, the more it drives the LR into the ground, via the chain. Basicly using the chain to pivot against.

Dam thats cool.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 11-14-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Just say no...